Atr dp hookup

GNational86

How did you guys hook your downpipe into the exhuast. I want to keep the cat under the car but gut it. There is a junk aftermarket converter on it now. Do you guys have any part #s for another type of cat that will work. Maybe go 86-87 style? What kind of exhaust systems do you guys run. Thanks -Mike

The way I did mine was I ordered a flange to fit the exhaust pipes that come to the catalytic converter from ATR, ($20) then cut the downpipe to size and weld the flange to the end of the downpipe. So I don't have a cat. converter, just a custom dp with attached racepipe. The ATR DP should be a few inches longer than where it would meet the actual exhaust system. Later on I am going to add some kind of dump pipe where the cat was.
How ATR recommends you to do it is cut the dp to where the cat. would come to, then weld the flange they provide to you in your downpipe box(kinda hard to find, its wrapped up in bubblewrap), then just bolt it up. Hopefully you have a welder at home or a muffler shop close by because this is easier to do on the car, its a pain in the butt to take that pipe in and out without the passenger side header and crossover pipe on. But the car isn't extremely loud like a open header big block with the downpipe open. Just try to avoid Johny Law on your way the the muffler shop!

I used a gutted 87

I bought a gutted 86-87 cat from the parts section. Opened the inlet to 2 1/2 and slid it on the end of the down pipe. Cut it almost flush with the end and hooked up the exhaust. I already had the 86-87 exhaust with an adaptor to mount the 84 cat to it so the gutted cat replaced it.

2 1/2

Far as I know the ATR pipe is 2 1/2" and thats the only one they make for Hot Airs.
Mease did have some 3" but, he was selling what he had on hand and NO more. Lee's not making anymore either.