at witts end with steering column

BIGJOE

first problem. the ignition switch's actuator rod and the mouth of the ignition switch actuator rack they keep breaking connection from each other. its driving me insane i refuse to take apart the steering colum again to recconect them and is there a way to recconect them without dissembling the steering colum again please tell me there is. lol problem 2, the little lock ring that holds the lockplate in position once its down apparently stretched and refuses to hold the lockplate down ive tried make it smaller compressing it down. about everything is theres something else to hold that lockplate in place. thanks for any help

Did you put the screw back in that holds the ignition switch? And also a lot of those parts are a dime a dozen dont beat your head against the wall get a new lock plate and ring take a pick and make sure the groove the ring sets in is clean and free from debris before installing... Autozone used to sell a repair kit made by HELP with a new rack (coke bottle) because they commonly break in GM columns.... You might wanna get the kit and replace the parts just cause..

I replaced the ignition switch with no problem, except there was a screw way in the back (closest to firewall) that I couldn't put back in. The slider in the switch has to be in a certain position before the actuator rod is slid into it. After everything is bolted down you should be good. How can the rod slip out if the switch is bolted down on top of it?

thanks guys but i think im gonan resort to taking my dremel to the side of the steering column plastic reveal the system to i can easily recconect it, seeing im located in england at the time being and finding any of these tools for GM is almost impossible and all have to be special ordered and im done working on this. yes its kinda a hax job but i just wanna drive my baby again. lol