Art Carr 4000 NLU

StageII86

Bought a car recently and owner didn't have a lot of info regarding what parts were in the driveline. Some I've figured out, but converter is interesting.

A handwritten note he got with the car said "Art Carr transmission and Art Carr 4000 stall no lock up." Pulled the cover and it indeed has a little 9" NLU converter, but no plate, tag, or stamped numbers anywhere. Only marks are a few tiny proofs (from the OEM mfg likely). Looks like all oem-style parts. It's painted black. Any ideas?

I've never bought an Art Carr converter and can't remember much about them. Does this sound like it could be one? It's pretty streetable IMO... I have a lot more work to do before I can crank it up and really see how the converter works under race conditions.

My plan is to order a PTC 9.5" NLU, but then someone told me recently there was a 4k Art Carr made way back when that actually coupled pretty well up top (as opposed to most of what I've heard of Art Carr converters in TR's).

Art Carr is a big fan of NL converters and they do work very well! :)

We have used many of them and they worked pull great at top end. What you need to be concerned about is off the line and pulling through the gears, as drag races are won by being quick, not MPH? :oops:

Local guys using AC converters win races, and love their converter for how well it performs street and strip.

There is such a thing. His most common converter was a N code converter that stalled at 3800 rpms. Its a race converter with that high a stall but you can use it on the street. You will notice it takes more rpm to get the car moving from a stop. I'm using a 3600 rpm stall speed in my car.

Do a brake stall test. Footbrake the car until you see 0-1psi of boost and see what rpm the motor is at. I'd bet its much closer to 3000 than it is 4000. I had a caller the other day with a tight Art Carr that stalled 2800 but back in the day would have been called a 3600-3800. It just takes 8-10psi to get there.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Do a brake stall test. Footbrake the car until you see 0-1psi of boost and see what rpm the motor is at. I'd bet its much closer to 3000 than it is 4000. I had a caller the other day with a tight Art Carr that stalled 2800 but back in the day would have been called a 3600-3800. It just takes 8-10psi to get there.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'll give that a try - sending you a PM about a PTC.