Are Ported heads worth the$$

500hp at 20 lbs boost is the same as 500 hp at 30 lbs boost!
Have to disagree a little here. 500 hp to the flywheel at 20 lbs boost may mean 575 hp in the cylinders, with 75 hp going to pumping losses (mostly turbo backpressure). 500 hp at 30 lbs has to suffer from more pumping losses so as an example guess maybe 628 hp in the cylinders with 128 hp (I just used the ratio of absolute boost pressures) now feeding the pumping losses. That's more stress on the motor for the same flywheel hp.

I'll yield to the engineering info, but you get my point......what's 50 hp more or less? (never said high boost was a good thing:) )

Orlando must be making 800 cylinder horsepower at 40 psi!:eek:

I think like some others have said it's better to max out your current combo of bolt-ons which should get you a high 11 or a little better with a proper tune (about 22-25lbs of boost) and a decent 60' time. Ported heads help, but IMO there's no point in opening up the motor until it's broke or until you get it running right with the current combo cause unlike most V8s you can't just slap on parts and expect to go faster and I think if you ported the heads this would make for more tuning problems cause like others have mentioned blue top injectors are on the small side for ported heads with a TE44 turbo (009s aka 42.5lb injectors or MSD 50lb injectors would be needed to be on the safe side along with some chips to match). Woody, I can't believe you mentioned the "O" word in a thread about somebody who wants to know if ported heads would help him with a mild build-up...... tisk tisk ;) :D

Some believe that a good set of heads should logically be amongst the very first upgrades...:)

Great topic!

I just bought an '87 T with a blown headgasket (I think).

Since I have to remove the heads or head :confused: anyway, would it be wise to have them ported while their off?

LOL!

Woody, you go right ahead and speak about Orlando and 40 psi cause I think I've mentioned his name and boost level one too many times:eek: ;) Just so nobody forgets I'll post the famous link one last time...... www.harpersracing.com :p

Later, Steve :cool:

LOL.....The sore point arises again. I just wanna know how he keeps the durn heads on it at 40psi? Gotta be some hellacious torque on those head bolts/studs....lol.
Geoff, if you have to pull the heads anyway, might as well take the oppurtunity to have them at least cleaned up a little. Even just gasket matching and a mild cleanup in the bowl area will make a noticable difference.

The 1st thing you do with a TR is bolt ons. If you're gonna do the heads 1st you shoulda bought a Camarostang.

:)

WOW..thanks for all the feedback! The reason I asked this question is because I want a hellishly fast gn for my setup. Yes, I do have some money to spend and I figured since I had the heads off, I would either do a pocket port or just plain buy out some Champions. My goal is 11.8 or 11.9. I would of ported myself, however, I do not want to risk damaging them. I went to the track and wanted to see 12.0, however, it was my 1st time so I was unfamiliar on how to launch. I believe I weakened the head because while trying to tune, I had some major boost creep and several times got 10* of knock in 3rd.
My next step is to bell-mouth the i/c and check how well these blue-tops work. I just enjoy going very fast in a car that gets sooo many compliments. I want to keep the gn's rep. alive as being the fastest production car.

Thanks for all the great feedback!

SpeednV6

Slo86GN, if you'd like the answer to your question call and speak with Red Armstrong @Quad Air cause that's who "he" asks when it's time to torque down those head bolt/studs to keep the headgaskets on at those famous high boost levels:) I just gave away "his" best secret.............. Red Armstrong:)

It's all about the torque pattern and how the head bolts are torqued (Red tells him how to do this correctly I gather). That's what I've heard from Alex who knows and speaks with "him". Don't shoot the messenger! hehe;)

"how much boost ya runnin'"

I running almost the same setup, wondering how much boost you running for that low 11 second pass? Trying to break the motor in right now!!

Thanks
Mack

Originally posted by rastaz
I took the opportunity to put ported irons on my car while building up a new motor for it. Check my sig, these times are at 23psi and 20* of timing so I can definately vouch for the statement that you are able to run quicker with less boost and timing. Where you draw the line is completely up to you. My friends think I am completely out of my mind for not throwing on a PT 72 and 83's. Personally I think they are nuts. I just wanted an ultra fast street car. I am less concerned with track performance and I'm not interested in putting a bar in the car.

Ported heads are great on the street too. Nothing can touch me and I scare the S**T out of myself on a daily basis.:cool:

Re: "how much boost ya runnin'"

Originally posted by SloNoMo
I running almost the same setup, wondering how much boost you running for that low 11 second pass? Trying to break the motor in right now!!

Thanks
Mack

Those times were with 23lbs of boost and 20* of timing. My motor is new too. It didn't even have 700 miles on it when I took it to the track. Once the motor loosens up a bit and I get a better air day (my ATS was reading 118* on the track) I expect it will easily run 11 teens @120 with a little more boost and timing. I am somewhat limited with my stock i/c and 26x10 slicks but I have seen my exact combo go 10.95 @ 123 with a front mount and 28x9 slicks.

Thanks

Just trying to get an idea on what she will run once I hit the track in about 2 weeks or so...............I'm running the CAS front mount and 26" slicks so I will see what happens........

Thanks,
Mack