Arctic Cat 660 Turbo sled

starjet

Went to the AC dealer and saw a nice all black 660 T sled. Looks real nice. All black turbo sled! Wee. This sled uses a 660 Suzuki 4 stroke motor that is found in some over seas micro cars. I know there must be much potential in the motor. Stock form uses a lower compression and high boost. Compression is 6 something to one, and the naturally aspired version of the 660 uses 10 something to one, as I remember correctly. There is an intercooler. Boost is set at about 20 psi stock and will run it on a recomended 87 octane, making 110 hp. I would LOVE to buy one and be the first to make this thing rip. A mechanic at the dealer said that he didn't know much about turbos, but he heard that someone cranked the boost up to like 40 psi and made 140 horsepower. I wonder what a good direction to take this motor would be? Perhaps more compression and or timing? Anybody own one??

I am looking all over the internet right now. The motor is from a car called the Suzuki Cappuccino, which in the car makes like 65 horsepower. I have read lightly modded cars with more boost are making 150 horsepower. I think with a ton of octane, or alky, and the right combination of boost, timing and compression could really wake up the 110 horse version in the sled. I think 200 horse is possible. Heck, the sled makes 110 on 87 octane. When someone builds one, many people are gonna be supprised. Most sled guys are blowing this sled off as a grocery getter sled...

Just remember that it is actually possible to make over 1000hp on a 109 block. That doesn't mean that it will live more than 10 seconds. The question is how much the stock internals and block can handle. I have no doubts that turbo sleds will become more popular and will probably replace 2 strokes all together but it will be a fight for who has the strongest bottom end and can handle the most power.

Cmon man! Lets see some enthusiasm! Everyone told me too that Turbo Buicks are weak on bottom, and a Turbo motor wont last to 100,000 miles, etc. We shall see on the durability of this new sled. Unfortunatly, I can't find any information on built 660 turbos. I can't bring myself to sell my 800 2 stroke to experiment on this one yet however. Price is a bit steep on this sled. Something like $9600. I can't help but dream though of lots of boost on a blackout sled at a time when my GN is in storage...

I wonder if you could re-program the cdi. box for more fuel and make your own adjustable wastegate?

I garantee Artic Cat has "de-tuned" that sled for warranty claim protection.

I'll bet some-one is already developing go-fast goodies for that motor.

Be the pioneer!

Besides if thats a Ski-doo 800 your riding it's a slug anyways.

J/K Mike

I too was wondering about the ignition programming. I found some info on the internet about people modifying the cappuccino car with a 660 turbo. Some guy bought a reprogramed chip, a turbo and injectors and he says the difference was huge. Hopefully the computer is capable of providing information like the buick, perhaps we could use a scantool of some sort? This motor is a variation of this car motor, so things look good. I agree the thing is detuned. 20 psi on 87 octane? More timing/compression I assume is possible. If the sled will support a knock guage, I would really think about buying one. I would love to be the pioneer. So many people think this sled is going to be slow, because the natually aspired version with 50 horsepower only went like 60 mph, and the 4 strokes have a reputation for being slow. The only problem, I absolutly love my 800 2 stroke. No, it's not a Doo. Good thing, my buddy has blown up his 800 Skidoo 4 times so far. I have a 02 ZR 800. I love the thing. I can't bring myslelf to sell it. I am not selling the GN either, so it doesn't look to good for buing a new turbo sled.

If your riding an Artic-Cat 800 I'm not sure your going to like the lower powered 660. With mods or not.
That handling on yours is excellent and has the best front end in the biz.
I traded my Polaris 800 back to a Pro-x 600 because for me the corner to corner acceleration of the 600 was more fun!
It may not be king of the lake but 110mph is plenty fast.

Maybe if you were 55+ and just cruised most of the time it would be a good choice, but if your a trail maniac like me I don't think so.

If you do get one bring it to my house, I'd love to beat on it.

P.s My brother in law has an RX-1, I would'nt walk across the street to ride that thing. RX-1 Tonne we call it.

Mike

Atleast that motor won't ever see hot humid air....that should really help it. Ice cold air all the time. Think about how much we like to drive in 40 degree weather, this thing will even better temperatures than that. :)

i have been into snowmobiles all my life being from buffalo, and this year i have a 700 2 stroke, love them 2 stroke sleds, but the ability to turbo and nitrous a 4 stroke sled that is already really really fast is a realy great to the sport, the durability is there and they should last seasons without a rebuild rather than a months like the 2 stroke sleds do if you add performance uprgrades, the 4 strokes are a bit heavier, but i think that in the near future the weight will be shed as snowmobile only designed engines come around and then the epa can get off our backs along with all the tree huggers
grant