Anyone using the S10 wheel cylinders?

matt94z

I was advised to use the rear wheel cylinders from an S10 with 4.11 geared rear end (82-84 I think) . But anyhow, I am running them and my rear wheels seem to lock up really easily. Im wondering if this is the reason? Anyone else having the same issue?

They do apply a lot more pressure than the stock cylinders. Depending on what rear shoes you are using (i.e. the softer compound larger shoes) they tend to lock a lot sooner than usual. Should they do it easily? No...there could be other issues at play.

Hmm... I dont know what shoes are on there. But its pretty annoying when Im trying to slow down and the rear tires start screaming! Its both sides that lock up so Im thinking the wh cyls are to blame.

Was I supposed to use the S10 prop valve also?

I have them [actually just installed them at the end of the season last year] - they seem to work fine and i can DEFINITELY hold more boost!! i havent panic stopped but have put maybe 1000-1500 miles on them with ZERO issues.... maybe something else is to blame and no i have the stock proportioning valve and two long, soft compound shoes with aluminum drums from m233roller. hth

Take them OFF. Myself and several others have either almost wrecked or wrecked due to teh rears locking in panic stops or wet roads, etc

I have a friend with eth big Baer brake swap on teh front of his t and the s10s on teh back and his rears still ocked..I say take em off on the street.

Take them OFF. Myself and several others have either almost wrecked or wrecked due to teh rears locking in panic stops or wet roads, etc

I have a friend with eth big Baer brake swap on teh front of his t and the s10s on teh back and his rears still ocked..I say take em off on the street.

wow... this is a concern. I have the BAERs up frt and just recently switched to the S10s in rear..... I have been contemplating going discs in the rear for a while now.... if the S10s seem to be a major issue i might have to forgo some other mods and switch the rears out...... so i guess i will follow this thread more closely....

i have 2000 blazer front brakes and the 83 rear wheel cylinders all with buick proportioning valve and monte carlo booster/master cylinder. ive had these for 3 years now and never had a lock up at all.

I could not hold any boost with Vac brakes. Installed s10s and soft compound shoes Now it will hold over 10 psi or more. But when i hit the brakes very hard the back lock up first.

S-10 wheel cylinders, aluminum drums and all long shoes...no issues...other than holding more RPM's on the line.:cool:

If you dont adjust them crazy tight, you'll be okay with them.

Be sure your axle seals aren't leaking. That's a more common problem with rear brakes grabbing.

S-10 wheel cylinders, aluminum drums and all long shoes...no issues...other than holding more RPM's on the line.:cool:
Thats how it for me too. 10lb+ launch.:eek:

If you dont adjust them crazy tight, you'll be okay with them.
I used a caliper thingie and was very close. A quick drive down the street and a hard brake showed which was alittle too tight. Backed it off a touch and was done. I do have larger than stock M/T drag radials on so that might also help with keeping the rears from locking up too.

Be sure your axle seals aren't leaking. That's a more common problem with rear brakes grabbing.
Also leaking wheel cylinders (my issue before the change).

Nothing is leaking on my car. I think Im going to go back to the stock size... its just too dangerous. I jammed on the brakes going uphill @ about 10 mph and the rear locked up! WTF thats redick.

Yep you always hear ..wee hew I can hold ungodly boost. But teh downside to teh lots o boost is it eventually waprs your backing plate.
Thats yet another reason to not go with them

Yep you always hear ..wee hew I can hold ungodly boost. But teh downside to teh lots o boost is it eventually waprs your backing plate.
Thats yet another reason to not go with them. If you want high boost launches then get a t brake or BB/or not turbo/convertor combo that spools faster...JMHO