Anyone tried the factory replacement Wilwood calipers ?

lrayzer

Shop Dawg Emma
I see Wilwood has replacement factory style alum calipers in black and red powercoat, has anyone tried these, I hate to go to the big brake upgrade right now and lose the ability to put my assorted 15" dia wheels on. The 11" version Wilwoods may fit the factory wheel, not sure yet.
These calipers would at least look better and weigh less.

Just put them on last weekend. I'll post pictures soon. Also just found out my skinnies will not fit without wheel spacers with these calipers. The bore is about 1/4" dia bigger and they weigh 4 lbs 3 oz vs the stock caliper at 7 lbs 5 oz both with hardware installed on them.

Won't have any input on performance as it is snowing here and I also switched to the PA Racing manual master cylinder kit. (Mopar style) Pedal feels good. Just hoping it will stop.

Brandon.

Apparently the 11" Wilwood kit fits the stock wheel, and is approx $640.00, not much more money for lighter and new components, I will probably go that direction now.
Did you use the 2 or 4 piston caliper ?

The only calipers they list as a direct fit are the D154 calipers which are a single big piston caliper. I was also going to go with the bigger 11" rotor kit and 4 piston dynamic brake kit. But they are $690 for the street use kit and another $60 for the lines you need to use and that is the standard non drilled kit. $100 more for drilled rotors. The piston area is almost the same on both kits.

Says the Dynamic rotors weigh 7.9 lbs so that's light.

Both will fit stock wheels but I doubt either will fit skinny rims with the smaller backspacing like I have (Need 1/4" to fit Just no room).

For someone that just wants to upgrade there stock calipers and maybe already has cross drilled rotors. The D154 calipers look the part. Hopefully they preform well.

Brandon.

87turbot-type said:
The only calipers they list as a direct fit are the D154 calipers which are a single big piston caliper. I was also going to go with the bigger 11" rotor kit and 4 piston dynamic brake kit. But they are $690 for the street use kit and another $60 for the lines you need to use and that is the standard non drilled kit. $100 more for drilled rotors. The piston area is almost the same on both kits.

Says the Dynamic rotors weigh 7.9 lbs so that's light.

Both will fit stock wheels but I doubt either will fit skinny rims with the smaller backspacing like I have (Need 1/4" to fit Just no room).

For someone that just wants to upgrade there stock calipers and maybe already has cross drilled rotors. The D154 calipers look the part. Hopefully they preform well.

Brandon.

I posted on an earlier thread about an all factory parts brake swap using S10 parts. This seems to me to be the best cost effective way to upgrade the front brakes. You will need 98 up 2WD S10 spindles, rotors and calipers. This setup is nice since it utilizes a sealed wheel bearing vs the original serviceable/ adjustable setup, not to mention is uses aluminum dual piston calipers and a larger diameter rotor.

Not my cup of tea. The Blazer/S10 brake upgrade is great. Especially if you want to use the used parts. If I wanted to go big brakes I would choose Wilwood or Baer brakes with all new parts.

Brandon.

The Forged Dynalite Big Brake Front Brake Kit with 12.19" rotors looks like a good choice if you're not using stock wheels. I may go that direction in the future.... I'm pretty sure 4 piston calipers will be enough.

The Forged Dynalite Big Brake Front Brake Kit with 12.19" rotors looks like a good choice if you're not using stock wheels. I may go that direction in the future.... I'm pretty sure 4 piston calipers will be enough.
Long time no hear !!
We have something in common now, my GN was crunched last year, back on the road again. The Blazer brake swap looks interesting too, but I have a craving for the AFX spindles, really hate to give up the ability to go back to stock, it's a commitment !

Just installed these a few weeks back, along with hydroboost. Very firm pedal (Better feel IMO than my Vette), they really show how poor my rear brakes are:yuck:. Had Baer had 12" rotors, I would've gone with them, but a local hot rod shop got me a great price for the brakes & ss lines. Eventually I will put Wilwoods on the rear as well, just so they match

Can't use the 14" aluminum Iroc spare anymore, I doubt a 15" rim would fit

Attachments

• IMG_20140218_170107_199.jpg
    IMG_20140218_170107_199.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 251
What is the benefit of just swapping out to these replacement Wilwood calipers besides weight? Would they provide better stopping?

I posted on an earlier thread about an all factory parts brake swap using S10 parts. This seems to me to be the best cost effective way to upgrade the front brakes. You will need 98 up 2WD S10 spindles, rotors and calipers. This setup is nice since it utilizes a sealed wheel bearing vs the original serviceable/ adjustable setup, not to mention is uses aluminum dual piston calipers and a larger diameter rotor.
This is an OLD post, but I've been unable to find any further information about the S-10 front brake swap. I can't seem to find your previous post either. Is this a common upgrade for Regals and other G-Bodies? I don't actually have turbo Buick anymore, but I do have a Monte Carlo, and it might be something I'm interested in down the road. Any idea if the caliper will fit inside a 14" factory rim?