Anyone still using their TR as a DD?

i have been into these cars 4 years now. my grey turbo t got driven 20,000 miles so far but had tranny problems for about 2 years so has been parked.my blue 87 turbo t got driven 30,000 miles in 2 years more tranny problems been off the road for about a year. my 86 t type got driven about 6,000 miles in a few months more tranny problems.black 87 turbo t has been driven 20,000 miles in the last 3 years needed a front end rebuild then was in minor accident the the front tranny seal was blown out from racing now back on the road everyday. 87 we4 pickup last august with 68,000 miles now has 82,000 . everyone of these cars needs a paint job but guess what i drive them everyday, beat the crap out of them and enjoy everyminute of it. i get yelled at all the time people giving me the thumbs up ,hanging out windows and screaming. the younger guys with the ricers look puzzled when i blow by them with my grandma car. great feeling i wish i bought one of these cars sooner life would of been diffrent for me that is for sure. i also have 2 turbo ta's i drove them and beat them crap out of them before they broke. i have a lot of fixing to do this summer.

DRIVE THEM AND ENJOY THEM !!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

AWSOME! and THAT is how it's done! ;)

wish I had that many TR's though:cool:

My problem is the collector car insurance won't allow me to drive the GN daily. Unfortunately collector insurance is the only way I could have it covered for what I paid. The kbb value, which many insurers use is alot lower than what these cars actually trade for.

My problem is the collector car insurance won't allow me to drive the GN daily. Unfortunately collector insurance is the only way I could have it covered for what I paid. The kbb value, which many insurers use is alot lower than what these cars actually trade for.

Not necessarily true- 86 and 87 GN/Ts are now considered 'classic' by NADA, and many insurance companies rely on NADA vice KBB, as there are less variables to deal with. Many posts (and my own experience) relate to the insurance adjustor initially offering up a lowball amount, then upping the payout to reflect market value. The key is that you have to inform the adjustor and provide information that they can verify as to the vehicle value.

My experience- the adjustor offered $4500 (87 GN) and, after I provided info and articles (Hemmings, this site, NADA, different print articles) regarding the value of these cars, I ended up with a check for almost 14K.

I have state farm insurance and the last time I spoke to them they did mentioned about limited miles per/month or year.

I think this thread is about to go off in a different direction (insurance/value) but......

I've been meaning to look at my insurance options for a while now. My options are limited however since I'm still making payments on it and I like to actually *DRIVE* it.

The way I see it, I didn't buy it as an investmet, I didn't buy it as a museum piece and I see no point in "preserving" it just for someone else. I bought it to enjoy it! If I'm lucky, I'll be able to keep in in good enough condition that my son (currently 4 years old) will be able to enjoy it. He already likes going for rides and doing smoky holeshots in it! :biggrin: But if something happens to it, I'll do my best to recover and or repair it and continue to enjoy it.

I'm not knocking anyone that has one nice enough to "preserve", but that's not what I'm into turbo Buicks for. :cool:

guys resto parts will get here.
look at the all of the older cars
my Bros 68 Chevelle and my Dad's 63 impala SS new everything the only thing on the car from 68 is the vin plate.

the same will come for the g-bodies
so go beat of some "sport junks" with your buick.

what is a average 100,000 mile gn or ttype worth under $15,000 right? what does a new car cost ? $ 30,000.00 right? so stop making payments on something that depreciating and drive something that is not falling off in value. i on average paid around $5000.00 each for my t types some more some less. i look at it like this i can hit a telephone ,car,tree ,guardrail. etc.... and part the car out and still get most of my money back. where else can you do that? so i suggest find a cheap turbo t without great paint needing some work and don't try to make it new make fun.:D

what is a average 100,000 mile gn or ttype worth under $15,000 right? what does a new car cost ? $ 30,000.00 right? so stop making payments on something that depreciating and drive something that is not falling off in value. i on average paid around $5000.00 each for my t types some more some less. i look at it like this i can hit a telephone ,car,tree ,guardrail. etc.... and part the car out and still get most of my money back. where else can you do that? so i suggest find a cheap turbo t without great paint needing some work and don't try to make it new make fun.:D

YEP! I have way too much fun with the car to keep it in the garage. If I had an extremely low mile car or a GNX, it might be in semi-retirement; otherwise, I'll drive it, enjoy it, and fix it as things come up.

Everytime I think about getting a new car, I do the math: 30k x 0% x 60 months = $500 per month before fuel, insurance, maintenance, etc.

OR, spend the 6k like this:

January - Alky kit
February - Roller cam
March - new turbo
April - ported heads
May - WB02
June - injectors
July - MAFT Pro
August - new M/Ts
September- 1/2 of new trans
October - New trans
November -brake upgrade
December -?

Enjoy!

I'm with Baddguy6! Right on, my brutha!

26 miles to work, each way. Rain, sleet, snow, tornado, hurricane,... its going. I figure the color and installing the older t wheels may make it less tempting to jack, but I'm not counting on it. Loaded with theft deterents and fully insured. So far so lucky.
With the boxed upper and lower control arms in the rear, f body sway bar, front braces and body bushings,... its a lot of fun zipping down the back country roads. theres a 4th gen camaro thats tried to keep up with me through the turns a couple times on the way home, but I see him in the mirror getting way to much body lean and he backs off, this car handles fairly well for what it is, (camaro is probably stock suspension, but still....)

Guys, dont get me wrong, I love driving mine when I get the chance... Unless I die or somehow find an X for a reasonable price, I'll have THIS car for a while.

Hawaii's Unique climate eats g-body's if they are left to the elements... hence why the Hawaii guys joke about driving in the rain. We have sea salt on the roads all year round, and deal with 80% + humidity that seems to find its way into every nook and cranny of your car.

Mine sits home because my HOG is my DD.... if not, I'd be driving it daily as I did for the first month of ownership while I dealt with the few issues it had...

Now... I use it when I feel like it... Usually Saturdays if it's sunny... other than that... 1 night a week to work.

Gotta fix my alarm to be a tad more secure...