Anyone replaced a roof? (EDIT...yeah just completed one)

WildGS

Can't find anything after hours of searching. Short story is my car has a cheesy aftermarket sunroof, I want it gone. This is a non T-top car so thinking of finding a donor car and pulling the roof panel. Does anyone know where the seems and spot welds are on this car?

I do know that it can be done. I have known of 2 t top cars that have been converted to hard tops. I have heard of prices ranging from 500 to 1100 dollars

There's a gentleman here somewhere Thad did it using the roof and back glass from one of those bubbleback aero monte's. Good write up and lots of pictures. I'll see if I can find it this afternoon.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I know of it being done when cars were newer and the cost was cheaper than totaling it. Are you planning to do it yourself, or have it done? Find an old school body man and I'm sure he wouldn't have any problem.

The one I know of got a crossbar type pipe to the middle of the roof above the windshield. Think how a bumper gets v'ed, this happened to the roof and a pillar, So it got replaced. This particular shop isn't run like it was so I will refrain from commenting on them but he used to do real good work.

we did a 71 rally sport camaro from california 2 years ago that had a sun roof in it also was a black car they took a 16 gauge piece of sheet metal and laid where the whole was and welded it back in place we were shocked when we soda blasted the car I'm doing a 73 rite now were some one just cut the whole roof off root support structure and all.I have reskinned a 79 eldorado cadillac roof a long time ago ( 30 years ) the most difficult was trying to weld the skin to the frame support out in the center of the roof, of corse 30 years ago we used a torch and brazing rod the spot welds around the front and back windows weren't bad along the side windows and roof supports gave me a stiff neck. It i had do do one for my self i'd cut i'd cut roof frame skin and all and replace it that way.If you do decide to do this we put 4 jack stands down both sides of the frame when you cut the roof off the body will move pay close attention to the body line gaps in the doors and fenders depending on how bad your body bushings are will determine how much it will move

When I worked autobody we would remove all the interior, put the vehicle on the frame machine & fasten it down. Then weld in braces to hold everything in place, before we ever started cutting the old roof off. That usually worked out quite well, but it doesn't have to be done that way. As hiboom stated, it can be done on the floor if you pay attention, & support the vehicle well. I would still recommend welding in supports to hold things in place. My .02

Yeah I planned on tackling this myself. I had debated on just filling the whole. But if I royally screw up and warp the roof I am going to need a backup plan. I think I know where the seems are just by feeling the pillars. Did the still lead the seems in 84 ?

Yeah I planned on tackling this myself. I had debated on just filling the whole. But if I royally screw up and warp the roof I am going to need a backup plan. I think I know where the seems are just by feeling the pillars. Did the still lead the seems in 84 ?
Yea I think they still used led in the roof and quarter panel even if you decide to put a new roof on it you will still have to be careful with warping that's a lot of area to cover with out some time of warping I seen roofs that were completely skim coated with body putty to straighten out the metal moves making it difficult to finish

It's not easy but do able. The hard part is getting the used roof off without damage. You will have to get a new windshield as nearly impossible to not crack. Rear glass is tempered so no problem there. Expect the labor to install 15-1800 plus parts. You will also have to replace the cross bar that was cut for sunroof.

I
I tried patching the sunroof on my old 86. It's hard to get perfect

Sorry, why wouldn't you just re-skin the roof top instead of going through all that work?

Found a donor roof hopefully and will try and grab that Saturday. Also went out to the car and found the lead seams using a magnet. Should be an alright job to re-skin the roof. I don't see a patch panel coming out at all in a good way.

Sent from my XT603 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

So I should be able to use a roof from any 81-87 2 door Regal correct? Guy at the junkyard ran it through his interchange. There are a few 83's in the local yards that look great and I am wondering if I willl run into trouble or not.

1981 thru 1987 should all be the same...stay away from the
half vinyl roof cars if you can...more holes to fill for the trim.

Several threads on here - doing just that - in the Restoration forum.

At the junkyard - you cut low.
Very low.
Not at the factory seam.
One of the threads in the restoration forum actually shows where the best places are to make a final cut to match up.
You make the final cut in your shop under controlled conditions.

If you're buying a solid roof car - the only thing I would look at for rust is behind the quarter glass.
Nut driver; a few nuts, and you can pop it out - messy process - but worth looking.
Sometimes the upper hole in the qtr glass body area gets rotted out.

If you're doing a T-top roof - buyer beware.
Especially is it is an outdoor car.
99% of them will have concealed rot under the t rubber and t panels.

If you're doing a moonroof car - which is the best of both worlds - that has the issues of getting a decent moonroof assembly with the roof.
But even on the worst Astrroofed cars - I've not seen any rot round the factory opening.
The issues are usually associated with the Astroroof assembly itself.

For any of these options - you have some work cut out for you if you are doing it at the boneyard.
Because I would recommend gently removing all the weatherstrip retainers around the pillars and roofline - you'll want those.
The interior pieces, trim etc. - you'll want those.
The quarter glass really needs (has to be) to be removed.
I don't break rear or front glass either - I cut it out and remove it. If it's decent.
So, you have at least more than a couple hours in prep , and a bit of time to cut the roof.
Problem is - at the pull-a-part- no electricity.
So - I'd l strongly consider buying the tub or car and doing it all in a shop.

Too bad - I advertised this Moonroof tub for weeks - for just this sort of thing you described - and finally got sick of storing it and let the recycler have their way with it.
Well - and got sick of the texts and phone calls asking me if it had a "G80 rear end"
Riiight - does it look like it has a rear end?

Attachments

• 2013-08-28 14.24.20.jpg
    2013-08-28 14.24.20.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 252
I'll dig in the restoration section! Solid roof car will be easier for me. I think I have a game plan together just need to find the right roof. One of the bonuses of living in the PNW, as long as the rain didn't get into anything then the sheet metal is usually pretty decent. Been tearing into the car I just bought and (knock on wood) so far nothing scary looking as far as rust goes. Going to pull the headliner today hopefully and see what is in there.

Your best bet might be to take the front clip off - yank the body to frame bolts; the gas tank lines, the muffler hangers, the other misc cables and such that come thru the firewall - get some lifting straps - and let the boneyard forklift pick up the tub and set it on a trailer.
Then do the hard work at your shop.
- Or offer them 500 for the whole car. (They usually pay 500 so they'll want more)
Sell what you don't need later
I'd go for a whole car and do it right in a shop.

OK, so got my replacement roof from the yard. It was a rag top so a little bit of adhesives to clean off and some trim clip pins to add. Also got a really nice headliner with the deal! Started to tear my roof apart and found out why my roof was so weak. The stupid installer had cut the roof brace, ugh what a mess, LOL
009.JPGRoof.jpg

I have never checked but most likely the skin is glued to those cross braces. You'll be in the chips if you can slice through that adhesive and just replace the skin only as mentioned. Of course you'll replace the one cut brace. Big job no doubt but that is much more DIY than replacing structure.

I'm sure you know what you're doing.

Well, finally got a chance to start on this project. Wasn't too bad so far, hard part is going to be cleaning up the rain gutters. There are like a million tiny spot welds holding the sheet metal in there. Will take alot of careful grinding to get that cleaned up. So far though looking good. Need to prep the replacement roof and get it ready to install. Right now just cleaning things And yes the roof had some foam that was gluing it to the roof supports.

10885325_10202483705014119_8778939196996049006_n.jpg

10882154_10202483715134372_8440372814247097394_n.jpg