Anyone here work at Advance auto parts

What does a minimum wage clerk have to gain from charging someone for a roll of paper towels? So he can get a free roll?? Makes no sense. Sounds like a simple mistake.

Of course it could be something as simple as someone checked a price on the towel and didn't delete it. One reason I order things online and pick up at the store.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Funny that you should mention that, The person i talked to yesterday when i called corporate headquarters said the same thing. But when i went to Advance on Saturday morning to get my money refunded. The cashier that did the transaction Friday night was there and my question to him was, why did you charge me for a roll of paper towels? His answer was because i thought you wanted them! He then said, It was an honest mistake and i will refund your money. In just a few seconds he printed out another receipt and had me sign it then opened the register and gave me back my money. All doubt about it being a mistake was cleared up when he admitted he had charged me for them but let me leave the store without giving them to me. I believe he was counting on me throwing the receipt away and the transaction being forgotten about.

If you buy it online, always check out retailmenot.com. Their code right now is 30% off your order (TRT30). Does not help on sale items and other misc. items but it works. Saved me a bunch of money on shocks, headlights and lug nuts the other day. Just placed the order online and picked it up 20 minutes later. No worries about someone ripping you off and I get a better discount than that stupid coupon they send to my house every month.

What does a minimum wage clerk have to gain from charging someone for a roll of paper towels? So he can get a free roll?? Makes no sense. Sounds like a simple mistake.
I have explained why i think he did this a few times in this thread but i will do it again. So here goes.

1. A minimum wage clerk makes $66.00 per day.
2. Take $2.49 (the cost of a roll of towels) x 10 customers = $24.90 a good bonus for a minimum wage earner. Depending on how many customers he waits on per day the x10 could be x20 or x30 or ? per day or per week or month, who knows exactly. And he showed me it can be done because he did it. The only reason he didn't get away doing it to me was because I READ MY RECEIPT AND CAUGHT HIM.

To be clear about why i'm reporting this problem to corporate headquarters is to stop this employee from scamming any more customers this way. If indeed he is running a scam.

I have explained why i think he did this a few times in this thread but i will do it again. So here goes.

1. A minimum wage clerk makes $66.00 per day.
2. Take $2.49 (the cost of a roll of towels) x 10 customers = $24.90 a good bonus for a minimum wage earner. Depending on how many customers he waits on per day the x10 could be x20 or x30 or ? per day or per week or month, who knows exactly. And he showed me it can be done because he did it. The only reason he didn't get away doing it to me was because I READ MY RECEIPT AND CAUGHT HIM.

To be clear about why i'm reporting this problem to corporate headquarters is to stop this employee from scamming any more customers this way. If indeed he is running a scam.

So if the Cashier did this and pocketed the cash his drawer will not equal out at the end of his shift. The register is balanced prior to any transactions and is then counted again after final transaction of the day/shift.

In my retail managenent days, I caught a few employees stealing from the company I worked for. They would find a receipt on the floor/parking lot in which somebody had paid with cash. They would scan the receipt and "return" the item and pocket the cash. This certain employee kept using the same receipt and kept returning the same item. One day I was going through my high dollar inventory reports and noticed there were 10 of that item on our inventory but only 2 on the rack. I ran the item number in our Register system and noticed that this item was being returned every other day. I also noticed it was the same return receipt number. I looked up the cashier ID code and found the culprit.

My guess this was more of an act of boosting promotional sale items. Stores usually have competitions over a promotional item. This item happened to be Towels as I saw the towels in my nearby store here in NC. Most businesses make a good profit off of impulse buying or complimentary/promotional items. They are then tracked on spreadsheets and sent out throughout the District. If a certain store is not doing well with the Promotional item then a follow up to find the root cause will take place. We have all seen it. Would you like to up size your french fries to a large? Do you need brake grease to go with your brake pads? These cookies are only a dollar, would you like one?

So if the Cashier did this and pocketed the cash his drawer will not equal out at the end of his shift. The register is balanced prior to any transactions and is then counted again after final transaction of the day/shift.

Who counts the register at the end of the day? the cashier or the store manager?

And as i said earlier. When he did my refund, he printed out another receipt in a matter of seconds and opened the register and gave me my money back. He did not have to get the store manager to approve it.

So what would stop him from printing out receipts for all the ones with an added on item and giving a refund back on them. He isn't stealing from the store, he is stealing from the customers who come to the store.

My guess this was more of an act of boosting promotional sale items. Stores usually have competitions over a promotional item. This item happened to be Towels as I saw the towels in my nearby store here in NC. Most businesses make a good profit off of impulse buying or complimentary/promotional items. They are then tracked on spreadsheets and sent out throughout the District. If a certain store is not doing well with the Promotional item then a follow up to find the root cause will take place. We have all seen it. Would you like to up size your french fries to a large? Do you need brake grease to go with your brake pads? These cookies are only a dollar, would you like one?

I see your point.
What he is probably doing is charging an X amount of customers for the towels. Then going back and doing a Return with no receipt which would allow cash back on something as low as $2.49 and not be put on a store card.

Suprise you havent receiced a follow up call from the DM.

He hasn't received a call back because it's a complementary item like you and I said. Autozone and advanced are the worst at this and condone it.
Oreillys and napa are better outfits. You won't get this at these stores. In most cases.
I've had the opportunity to work at autozone and oreillys. And IMO advance is just like autozone. They are a last resort for many reasons!

The cashier would only be able to pocket cash if you or another customer paid with cash. The computer does a breakdown of balanced per transaction type when the drawer is closed.

If you paid with a card it would show the drawer under 2.49 cash but over 2.49 per card transaction. He would need a receipt to return the item as the new system only allows returns with a receipt unless merchandise credit is issued.

Maybe he really needed some paper towels cause his tissues aren't cutting it? I used to be a GM at advance before I decided it was time to get a job that didn't ass bang me daily.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

A new Advance store just opened in town. I was having issues with NAPA and gave Advance a try. I couldn't be happier. They aren't perfect but than who is? One of the guys is a Buick BB guy, knows I have the GN and 01 GS so if I go to the store it takes awhile. We get prompt delivery. It is mostly young people and they all go out of there way to take care of us. I think Advance is really pushing their Professional parts business and for us it shows. I hate to hear the stories like mentioned here, but unless it happens to me, I'm still going to think highly of the Mount Joy, PA store. NAPA, they can KMA.

There is a new one down the street from me. I usually buy online and then go pick it up. Not issues so far. Employees are ok, not Buick guys but willing to humor me when I want a part for another vehicle that fits the T.

I've never heard good things about Advance or Auto zone. I have personally never purchased anything from an Advance store, so I have no opinion on them. Auto zone is shit, I've dealt with the Monroe, WI store twice was not impressed. The first time they sold me a reman alternator with a bent shaft, I took it home and caught it before I installed it on the car. Took it back to simply exchange it for another one and got a hassle from the counter guys. The second time I needed some GM fuel fine o-rings, and knew Dorman sells a universal kit in the HELP line. I went in and asked for it, and I get the company line "what kind of car is it for?" I just simply need the kit, and I don't have time for you to look it up. After I explained it to the counter guy, theCATman found them on the shelf. I bought them and we got out of there.

I deal with my local Napa store who's a one man operation. He has hot shot delivery and if he doesn't have it, he will get it. Our other store is an independent, who I used to work for part time. Both good companies, and good to my company when we need something. Our town got an O'Reillys this past year too, but they hired a flunkie I went to highschool with to manage the place. He's already gone, and a new manager has taken his place. They came in and expected I was just going to do business with them, strike 1. Reps and salesman kept coming in and bothering me, strike 2. At some point I'll have to give them a chance, and when the store employees come in to drop off a flyer they are polite as I am to them. But they employ no one who lives in our community and don't redistribute any profit back into our community. At some point I'll have to buy from them, but it won't be today, tomorrow, or the next year.

I just received a call from the district manager about my complaint. Seems that the cashier that checked me out Friday and added the price of the paper towels to my total was/is the store manager. He asked me for the time that the transaction took place and i gave it to him off my receipt. Said he was going to be in town tomorrow and was going to review the store tape to see what if anything could have caused a confusion /mistake for the paper towels to be added to my total at check out.

I told him the cashier did not dispute chargeing me for the paper towels and it was not a mistake. He scanned and charged me but never mentioned it to me when i left the store.

The dist.manager said he will contact me by Friday to give a follow up on the complaint.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I doubt he was trying to pocket cash on the inconspicuous paper towel purchase. Too many variables on todays electronic POS devices to make a buck. If it wasn't a mistake, since he was the manager, he was simply trying to boost his sales margin for the store. For what reason, who knows...

if it was a mistake, so be it.

if it was more than that.... You'll never know unless you return and never see him again.

It was not a simple mistake. He knowingly charged me for something i did not bring to the counter,he collected the money for the item and then he let me leave the store without giving me the item.If i had wanted paper towels they would have been in the basket with the 5 quarts of oil i brought to the counter.

The district manager did not contact me today like he said he would. He may have gotten delayed or sidetracked by something else,i don't know.

I do have a ref# that corporate gave me when i filed my complaint with them, that i can do a followup on. I will call Monday to do the followup and post the results here.

similar thing happened to me on Thursday 4/10/14.
went to Advance Auto to get some wet/dry sandpaper they have a sign up 25 microfiber towels for $16.99
now this sign is plain as day can be seen from the counter so I bought a pack.
left the store sitting in traffic they charged me $19.99 WTF.
turned around went back in just to make sure the sign said $16.99 it did went up to the counter and told them they made a mistake
different counter guy refunds me $4.00 after he makes up a HANDWRITTEN receipt for the difference.

I guess the moral my story is that even after reading this for the last couple of days and thinking that it would not happen to me
that my eyes are not connected to my brain.

so always check the receipt BEFORE leaving the store.

Here is what I 've come to realize running an auto repair shop. I'm working on a 03 Ram 2500, a family doing mission work on the east coast. They use the truck towing a 5th wheel. We are coming to the end of a bunch of fluid leaks, the last one is a power steering leak. It's obviously coming from the pump area, I suspect the reservoir is at fault. I search my suppliers. ALL have the same origination: Cardone. NAPA, Federated, Advance, and a local supplier. Federated came in the cheapest, but by only pennies. I've beaten the NAPA band wagon all my life. I used to ride my bike to get parts for my dad in the 70's. They just recently threw me under the bus. So, that's OK, I've been knocked down before and still got back up. Sorta just left the door wide open for me, though, to explore other options. Here's what I discovered: the next wave of suppliers are going to be the O'Reilly's, AutoZone, RockAuto, and Advance. The local./personal guys (like non corporate NAPA) are at such a disadvantage because they can't stock the immense amount of parts for today's vehicles. My local NAPA dealer thought he had it made until Advance had shown them they have a bigger, badder, faster network. Sorta turbo. Nothing has changed, everybody wants personal and honest service. Let's face it, you have to trust who you're dealing with. Eliminate the personal honest service and it is an equal playing field. The likelihood of getting cheated out of a $2 roll of whatever is just as probable at all the suppliers. That being said, it seems there is no loyalty anymore (being at Advance in the 1st place). Conversely, there is no loyalty on the other side either, mostly greed. Like Derick said: watch your receipts.

Here is what happened to me last night when i went to the local Advance auto parts to buy some Valvoline VR1 oil that was on sale.

I entered the store and picked up a shopping basket to put the oil in. Went to the oil section and put 5 quarts in the basket then go to the counter to get checked out, when i get to the counter, there was an opened roll of scott work towels sitting there so i moved them oven so that i could put my basket there. The salesman took the oil out of the basket and scanned it for the price and tried to sale me an oil filter and hand cleaner which i declined to buy. I paid for the oil and he bagged it up,i picked up the bag off the counter and he then picked up the open roll of towels that i had moved over out of the way earlier and he sat them down on the counter where they had been before i had moved them. I walked out of the store at a normal pace not being in a hurry i placed the bag in the trunk and got into the car and sat there for at least 2 to 3 minutes messing with the radio stations,so he had plenty of time to let me know i had forgotten my towels. When i woke up this morning i was thinking that the total for the oil didn't sound right, so i checked my receipt and found that the salesman had charged me $2.49 for the opened roll of scott work towels that was sitting on the counter. I went back to the store this morning bright and early and he was there and i confronted him about why he did that and he said he thought i wanted them. I was like, huh, you thought i wanted to buy an opened used roll of towels when all the other new rolls are wrapped in plastic, and that you picked up and sat down on the counter again after i picked up the bag of oil. Instead of saying would you like me to put your towels in a bag or don't forget your towels you said nothing. I said Yes i'm accusing you of being a thief, you knew exactly what you were doing. If i had tried to steal those towels you would have called the police on me and have me locked up. I don't see any difference in what you did.

He opened the cash register and refunded my money after i signed a new receipt for a refund. He and another salesman and i had a few words before i left the store,they didn't like being caught.

I was thinking what a scam that would / could be if you were a crook working there. If you charged say 50 customers a day for something they didn't buy for $2.49 and if they caught it and came back to the store,you open the cash register and give them their money back but if they don't catch it then you could pocket $125.00 free and clear per day and who would know since there isn't an actual item being sold and the inventory wouldn't change one way or the other.

Do the managers at Advance auto parts review the receipts so that a scam like this coud not happen?
I work for Advance for 20 years and have known store to do this on what they call Spiff item in which employees get a small bonus , take this to next level , so many dont check their invoice or change back

I called corporate hdqtrs today to do a followup on my complaint. I gave them my ref. # so they could check on it. The dist mngr had not made his report to them at that time concerning the findings on the complaint. So the lady i spoke with called him, and had him call me to let me know directly what he found out by talking to the store mngr and from reviewing the store tape of the transaction. When he called he said that he didn't get back with me on Friday like he said he would because he had something else comeup and he didn't get to the store as planned. He apoligized for that. He said he did get to the store on Saturday and reviewed the tape and spoke to the store mngr about what happened. He said he didn't get any concrete answers from him, other than what i had already told him that occured. He told him it was a mistake about the paper towels and that he forgot to put them in the bag with the oil when i checked out. From what he told me after talking to the dist mngr,he didn't believe the store mngr because as he put it, it didn't make sense the way he tried to explain it to him. He also said he checked some of the sales receipts against the inventory records and didn't find anything out of the ordinary.I don't think any more is going to come from this except them knowing that he is dishonest to his customers. The dist mngr did offer me an Advance gift card for my inconvenience, but i declined the offer. After all I wasn't out anything because i had already gotten my refund for the towels and the store is only 2.1 miles from me.

So lesson learned check your receipts before you leave the stores because there might be a charge on there for something you did not buy.

Tell him you want a lifetime of VR1 at $3.99 a QT for you and all of us at TB.Com :)

All jokes aside, looks like the mystery will go unsolved. Only the Store Manager knows why he did it. Atleast you received your money back and that's all that matters. I'll be paying more attention to my receipts from now on.