Anyone Here Part Out Cars for Side Cash?

Anyone here had luck in buying totaled cars and parting them for profit? Curious to here of some experiences. What year/make/models are most lucrative? What should be stayed away from?

If youve got space and time you can make alot of money. My problem is the space constraint:rolleyes:...I was thinking about buying wrecked cars and rebuilding them and still plan on doing it when I get some extra money. I understand the title will be an R title but if you buy the car for 3k, put 1k in to it, sell it for 5-7k its worth it to me.

Well, there is money to be made as you can see here on the board how several people constantly part out Turbo Buicks and obviously making money otherwise I am sure they would have stopped. I also understand that it is a business and they need to do what they have to do. The main issues are; space, time and the mess it creates. I wouldn't buy just any cars, you need to pick and choose cars like G body or any cars that have a cult following like the Turbo Buicks, Mudstangs, F bodies, 60's and 70's muscle cars even Fieros. You just need to feel the market out.

I am not in the business of parting cars out; it’s more of a passion for me. I only deal with turbo Buicks and I pick them up in all kinds of shape from theft recovery, fire, collision and just anybody that sells it for the right price. I have about 20-30 turbo Buicks that I picked up from the early 90's to present sitting in my barn in all kind of shapes and form. My goal is to make them road worthy for someone someday so that the legacy still continues. I used to sell 3-4 turbo Buicks a year which funded for my other toys and help the madness to continue but I haven't had any time to finish up any cars in the past 5 years or so. I may only have sold 5 in the past 5 years as I am busy helping others and restoring the old farm house.

So in all and all, there is money to be made if you have the room and patience. You just have to pick the right car.

PS. One of the most important things you need to watch is for your neighbors. If you make an eye sore, they will call the county or the village on you and you will have more on your plate that you can handle. The reason I moved and bought a farm 10 years ago was; someone didn’t like seeing more that six cars on my drive day. They weren’t any parts cars or junk cars, these were my GN, Typhoon, Jags and Benz and so on. Good every day drivers plated and insured yet someone called and complained to the county and I received a violation notice so I had to put my nice cars in storage. So if you have parts cars sitting outside they may even have bigger issue.
HTH
Prasad