Anyone here into fishing?

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
My brother in law recently got me back into it after not doing it for 20 + years. Especially after I caught myself a catfish and a few other small fishes (crappies?) and unexpectedly, a snapping turtle.

Now I'm wanting to get myself a good rod and reel.

I'll be doing mostly fresh water fishing.

He actually recommended the poles and reels you can buy at Wal Mart but I'm not too sure if that's a good place to get one.

I want to make my first purchase a good one. What type/brand of rod and reel would be a good one for fresh water fishing?

Thanks.

I personally like Shimano. Diawa makes some pretty nice stuff as well. I would stay away from walmart, and check out some local sporting good stores. I picked up my rod/reel combo at cabelas for about $80. You may be able to find some nice used stuff locally also.

A G. Loomis rod and Shimino reel is what I have used my whole life. The chronarch from Shimino is a good bang for the buck Shimano Chronarch, Shimano Chronarch B Baitcasting Reels, Shimano Chronarch Reel. I probably had 5000 casts with that particular reel over a 3 yr. period but upgraded to this Shimano Calais, Shimano Calais DC Reels, Calais.

Loomis rods are simply the best imo but there are many others that will get the job done. Welcome to G.Loomis

Do u have a Bas pro shops or Cabella near by?

fishing

If you are only going fishing occasionally then walmart is fine. I picked up once a couple years ago for under 20 bucks. When using in a salt water environment I rinse it off and put it away. Still works great. I go fishing about 6 times per year. If you are doing well financially and have all the gear as well as plan on competing in tournaments or plan on fishing on a regular basis then go ahead and buy whatever your heart desires.

You better go somewhere better then Wallyworld for these..:biggrin:

Attachments

• PV%20fish.jpg
    PV%20fish.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 259
It really does depend on what you want to fish for and how often. Not to mention what kind of combo you want to use. I fly fish (no jokes guys) and have several different set ups. You can get some decent stuff at wally world if you just want to have fun but the last combo I bought was around $600 for a 4 piece pack rod and reel. this doesn't include line($40), tips(I make my own), or flies(make my own). I have spinning reels that I use sometimes as well as some surf rods for cat fishing.

I have a Abu Garcia bait cast , and Ugly stick med, light action $80 works very well. Just got back from Michigan, going to the UP next week for 2 weeks . I fish to relax some like anything it can get expensive .:D

I have been fishing since 1983 [freshwater] and have tryed lots of combos on rod and reels. For the last 10 or so years I have been using abu-garcia reels and falcon rods. They have gave me the most reliable setups and I highly recommed them. As far as fishing line I use spider wire and it gives you 30lb line strenght in the diameter of I think 12lb? Any way you have to have a pair of scissors that are designed to cut the spider wire but my personal preference is this line. Good Luck in which ever way you decide to go!!:biggrin:

You better go somewhere better then Wallyworld for these..:biggrin:

Salt water fish, I wouldn't expect anything Wally world sells to catch those....for them big daddies you need the really good stuff.

I guess you could say me fishing will be done on somewhat of a regular basis. What I want to fish for? Hhhmm....good one. I'm not spun up on my fish yet. For the time being I guess I want to perfect my casting, and catching. I still have yet to learn exactly how to gut a fish and fillet 'em and such. That will be one day when I can get really good and start catching the big ones, and my wife not raising hell about stinking up the house or making a fish smell mess outside.

But why I was asking is because I prefer to buy a quality rod and reel and not have to buy another one unless it's an upgrade. I saw my nephew break a rod in half fishing, I would guess it's attributed to being a cheap junk rod for catching nothing other than baby bass.

I guess you could say me fishing will be done on somewhat of a regular basis. What I want to fish for? Hhhmm....good one. I'm not spun up on my fish yet. For the time being I guess I want to perfect my casting, and catching. But why I was asking is because I prefer to buy a quality rod and reel and not have to buy another one unless it's an upgrade. I saw my nephew break a rod in half fishing, I would guess it's attributed to being a cheap junk rod for catching nothing other than baby bass.

You need to find out which hand you prefer to cast with. At that point you can narrow down the types of equipment you can use. I cast with my right and retrieve with my left. This is comfortable to me and I can't use a push button reel because of it.
There are several good rods out there. Loomis, Orvis (my favorite), St Croi (sp). I Even have a custom 5 foot bamboo rod for close work. It allows me to throw a fly in dense vegetation but it was very expensive. I like it but don't use it much in Texas.:biggrin:

I prefer casting with my left, I hold the pole in my left and reel the fishies in with my right.

I prefer casting with my left, I hold the pole in my left and reel the fishies in with my right.
If ur not experienced with a baitcaster then stick to a spinning reel. I hold the rod with my left hand and reel with my right as well but I cast with my right to. It doesn't matter. Whatever works for you.

I have a Curado E on a 7 ft American Rodsmiths > Home trout special medium light.

And a quantum pt accurist on a 7 ft shimano claris rod (medium)

I mainly fish speckled trout and redfish and these combos have been great. not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Attachments

• IMG_3041.JPG
    IMG_3041.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 216
I tournament bass fish a lot, and my dad did it for a living for 20+ years. (B.A.S.S. invitationals and "Top 100"...now called Elite series) I use what he was spo'd by, Abu Garcia reels, Kistler rods....never have probs. Keep your reels clean (big deal) and lubed....and they'll last forever. He literally had shoulders replaced before a few A/G Cardinal reels he uses. Thats quality!

I'd probably have a 9 sec car by now if I could resist fishing! I've been happy with abu garcia reels, Shimano makes some good reels also. Ugly sticks are good rods for the money and hard to break. I've had a hard time finding a rod that like since i've broke the last five that i liked, For now i'm stuck with a Berkley Hotrod :mad: and a field and stream rod. Actually the F&S isn't bad for the price.

This past weekend on Lake Ontario

I thought I was doing good when I hauled in a 22 pounder early in the morning, when I was up again for the next pole to hook up I topped it with a 25 lb fish... I think my Dad , brother, and uncles were pissed... I caught the two biggest fish :D

Attachments

• Ben2fishesLR.jpg
    Ben2fishesLR.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 143
Man thats cool! We just got a Bass Pro Shops here in Pearl, MS. Movin up in the world! Here's some good ol bass

Attachments

• bigfish.jpg
    bigfish.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Jason Bass2.jpg
    Jason Bass2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 123