Anyone ever break an ankle? MAN THIS SUCKS!

BlueLimited87

Just before New Years Eve I took dive and fractured my ankle. Intially I thought I just sprained it, but after getting it checked the Doc gave me the horrible new.........you my friend have a fracture.

Doc told me I didn't fracture it to bad (scale 1 to 10, 10 being worst he gave it a 3). A simple, non-displaced lower fibula fracture. No plates or screw.

Well after 6 weeks my cast was removed yesterday. He told to wait til I see the Therapist in a few days. It still looked swollen, especially the tissue just under the fracture. Not inflammed though. I decided to try and put a little weight on it just to see how it feels and.................OUCH! Man my foot is sore. It was like sharp nerve type soreness in my heel area and achillies tendon area. Very tender and sensitve. Almost feels like a muscle, tendon, or ligament isn't fully healed yet. Fracture feels fine and doc said it looked good on the X-Ray.

Is this somewhat normal when first trying to walk? And how long does it take to comfortably walk.......and run too?? Any suggestions on how I can expidite my recovery??

MAN I GOTTA LOOSE THESE CRUTCHES AND GET BACK TO WORK!

I never broke any thing in my ankle but did tare all the tendons out on the right side of my ankle. I had to have stainless clips put in my foot to attach all my tendons back again. I spent 10 weeks in a cast. It took about 6 to 9 months before my ankle was 100% again. Now I have no problems with it at all. Depending on your age and how hard you want to push it your foot will be sore while it gets use to being used again. The first 1 or 2 month after getting out of the cast were the hardest or most painful for me but it got better over time.

Good luck

My wife fractured her ankle roller skating. About 2 weeks on crutches and 6 weeks in a walking splint. She limped a bit at first with the splint, but by the end of the 6 weeks she was fine.

Myself, I broke my leg when I rolled my VW across a field. 8 weeks in a cast from my toes to my nu!&. Then 4 weeks on crutches to get it working again, and a few more months walking with a cane. It still bothers me once in a while. Seat belts save lives! I wish I had mine on that day. I would have walked away.

It's really just like Nasty said, it depends how badly you want to heal and how hard you push yourself to do it. Your ankle needs to move to get it back in working order. It hasn't moved in 6 weeks. The more you try and move it, the quicker it will come back around. If you don't use it, you loose it!

I fractured my ankle about 8 years ago in a jet ski accident. The thing was swolen and hurt like crap for a couple of weeks before I went to the doctor. X-rays showed that it was fractured and the doctor did not put it in a cast but said if I would have come in right after it happened he would have. Anyway, 8 years later and sometimes when I am just walking along just minding my own business, it feels like someone jabs a knife in that ankle and I almost go down. Been told it may be calcium buildup and may need to have it scraped? No thanks.

About 10 years ago I basically shattered my left ankle trying to show a CR500 honda who was the boss...turns out it was :). Surgeon bone grafted from my hip, plates & screws (still got them - never had them removed), and good as new. Best exercise I remember was a ball with a flat platform on top, and keep rolling the ankle around to increase it's range. Honestly, I credit the success to having had an excellent surgeon. There have been a few times when the weather changes that it may feel a little different, but other than that - no complaints. Keep working it - making it move. Hopefully you are as successful. Good Luck!

GrnNatlFan said:
I fractured my ankle about 8 years ago in a jet ski accident. The thing was swolen and hurt like crap for a couple of weeks before I went to the doctor. X-rays showed that it was fractured and the doctor did not put it in a cast but said if I would have come in right after it happened he would have. Anyway, 8 years later and sometimes when I am just walking along just minding my own business, it feels like someone jabs a knife in that ankle and I almost go down. Been told it may be calcium buildup and may need to have it scraped? No thanks.

I get the same thing but to my knowledge(SP). I never broke it although I have hurt it a few times :mad: I feel for your pain litterly :frown:

about 3yrs ago I was running across the street which was covered in fresh snow,so I didnt see the hole ,well I tore/stretched the ligaments in my right ankle ,that was 3yrs ago,I keep telling myself ,,be a man it doesnt hurt and go to the Doc.... :( :(

Kinda funny you bring up the subject but,I sprained my ankle jumping down a whole flight of stairs while letting my friend in the house for the UFC Fights on Pay Per View last Saturday night! (2-4-06)As soon as I landed on the ground I heard a pretty loud popping sound.(my left akle) I immediately sat down on the bottom of the staircase and took my shoe and sock off.MY foot got super swollen and i t looked like an egg was sitting right above the ankle and I could'nt move my toes or anything.Not to mention I was hurting!
I thought I was looking at a bone that is out of place.
I went straight to the emergency room and got X-Rays.It was'nt broke but I had a major sprain.They put me in a cast right away.(from my toes to my knee)Now I'm on crutches too!
Monday morning I went to see one of those bone doctors,the one that specializes in Sports Injuries. He cuts off the cast and I get some new X-Rays. Soon after I find out it will be up to 4 weeks untill I'm back walking good again! WTF,So far its been 9 days and I can Barely even put my foot on the floor yet!Im black and blue from my toes to my calf and SWOLLEN. Luckily as a Realtor I can work from home using my Laptop while I'm laying on the couch with my foot elevated.I feel bad for the guys that have to go back to work and be on there feet most of the day.
All I have to say is I can definitely relate to you guys who have been down from an ankle break or sprain. IT SUCKS!
If you type in ankle injury exercises in a search it tells you a bunch of good stuff to do to get that thing working sooner. GOOD LUCK :wink:

Oct 30th I tore EVERYTHING in my right knee... I had surgery Nov 15th to fix it and I couldn't bend it so I just had my second surgery last friday to remove scare tissue and fix a couple things... I'm writing this being bed ridden! 3 months and not able to bed your leg sucks.,,,

Day 3 of weight bearing..............starting to feel better. But still tight and sore.

My break wasn't really painful at all.....when actually happened I walked alittle bit on it. Just felt like a bad sprain. Even during the healing process there was hardly no pain. I took no pain killers.

Its wierd that all the discomfort I feeling has nothing to do with the break itself...........just from my foot/ankle being in-active for 6 months. Its amazing how quickly your ankle/foot can become so weak.

BlueLimited87 said:
Day 3 of weight bearing..............starting to feel better. But still tight and sore.

My break wasn't really painful at all.....when actually happened I walked alittle bit on it. Just felt like a bad sprain. Even during the healing process there was hardly no pain. I took no pain killers.

Its wierd that all the discomfort I feeling has nothing to do with the break itself...........just from my foot/ankle being in-active for 6 months. Its amazing how quickly your ankle/foot can become so weak.

I've lost 4 inches due to atrophy on my right thigh.... terrible

In October 2002, I fractured my right lower leg (just above the ankle) in 5 places. It was fractured into the joint, both the tibia and fibula were broken. I had 6 different casts, full leg, half leg and lower leg. I was in casts until Feb 2003, and it took about 2 months after that before I could start running and doing excercises. I was finally able to return to normal day to day activites in July 2003. I was told that I was the exception, as to my healing time and the type of break that I sustained. It sucks to be laid up, but try to stay off of it at first. Once the soreness and major swelling go away and you can get around it is not that bad, Good luck....

BlueLimited87 said:
Any suggestions on how I can expidite my recovery??
There is a tubular rubber band resistance device available that you can use to exercise and strengthen the ligaments for your ankle. The device is about a foot long and has circular velcro attachments on each end. What you do with it is put your foot in the loop on one end and with the other end attached to a fixed object, you can provide resistance and pull with your ankle to the left, right and towards you. You would be holding the fixed end while pushing away from you. It really works well, but not sure what it is called. I got mine at a sports medicine clinic, but I'm sure a larger drug store might carry this.

Try one of these on for size. :eek:

A motorcycle accident got me this bionic attachement for 6 weeks. That wasn't fun at all. Just take your time and don't expect quick results. I remember being really frustrated because things didn't seem to progress fast enough. It took several months to get somewhat back in order.

About 2 years ago playing dek hockey i sprained my ankle really bad. I rolled over on my ankle with alll my weight which was about 230lbs then. I never went to the doctor but probably should have. It hurt like hell for at least 3 weeks. I think i partially tore the tendons but said screw it and didnt go to the doc. It still clicks all the time and hurts if at the right point of flexion. I am a powerlifter and this injury put a damper on my heavy training for a while. I wish i had gone to the doc when it happened but at this point there isnt much they could do.

Welby said:
Try one of these on for size. :eek:

A motorcycle accident got me this bionic attachement for 6 weeks. That wasn't fun at all. Just take your time and don't expect quick results. I remember being really frustrated because things didn't seem to progress fast enough. It took several months to get somewhat back in order.
No thanks!

I fractured one of my ankles about 2 years ago while blocking a slap shot in a ice hockey game. Wasn't a serious fracture but I had a walking cast on it for about 5 weeks. It was sore for a week or two after the cast was removed, and it took about 2-3 months or so to get the full range of motion back.

How about these apples... Tore ACL, LCL, Minuscus, Fibular head ligamant... Knee joint was locked up.. and no movement at all for months..

Taken Nov 20th after first surgery which was on Nov 15th
n35800283_30087857_7869.jpg

Taken this last Friday Feb 11th.. after second surgery... It was only arthroscopic but damn it bleed for 1 1/2 hours... I actually thought I was peeing on myself until I looked down and then realized what was up. :eek:

n35800283_30135367_8598.jpg

n35800283_30135368_8923.jpg

n35800283_30135369_9219.jpg

n35800283_30135370_9497.jpg

:cool:

Severed Foot!!!

Welby, I had the same external fixater as you kinda but mine had 8 rods. two going through my heel, two screwed into the top of my big toe, and three into my shin. On june 5th 2004 I had a horrible high speed accident on my 1999 buell m2 cyclone I was just riding down the street and decided to adjust my a*s and the handle bars started doing tank slappers ( front end wobble) and I ended up sliding around 300ft the police report said, after coming to a stop on my back and seeing my bike fly past me in a ball of sparks I lifted my right leg and my foot hung towards the ground only by one inch of skin, It was totaly OFF at the ankle!! :eek: I freaked! well after flight for life got there and I woke up in the hospital room I saw that contraption for the first time and they managed to save my foot. Well I ended up with a severed right foot, broken colar bone, 5 broken ribs, 40 staples in my left calf, a blood clot in my lung, 6 sergerys on the ankle, and at the end of two months I got a staff infection of 108deg fever for over 7 days. I'm still alive though, I will never be able to walk without a limp, run or do alot of things that I used to... it's been almost 2yrs and i'm still going to therapy...If you need someone to talk to feel free to call me. (865) 577-8583 my name is Scot w. Good luck with your healing!! hang in there.. :)

It was like sharp nerve type soreness in my heel area and achillies tendon area. [/QUOTE]

I had that same symptom, after jumping off a rock onto a rock, about 8ft. below.

Xrays showed no fracture. But the pain was a biatch. It was plantar faciitus. Some get shock wave therapy in the heel area. The doctor was going to do it, but I thought water therapy might work in the same way. I went home and sat in the Jacuzzi and let a jet hit the heel and the achillies for about 15 minutes.

After 5 months of pain, the heel was back 90% within 3-4 days. TRY WATER THERAPY!

Unreal!