Anybody installed keyless entry in a Buick??

Pats-GN

I'm thinking about installing one in my GN while i've got it apart for paint. I would like to have the interior lights come on and the park light flash when activated. What brand would you guys recommend?? I will be installing this myself, dont like others messing with my ride;)

thanks
pat

Any alarm should be fine I like to stick with name brands, I like DEI products, here's some examples....

Viper 500 ESP
Sidewinder 6000 ESP
Pyhton 100 ESP
Clifford Matrix

I like Code Alarm. Reliability is what you want in a keyless/security system. When it comes to reliability Code Alarm is about as good as it gets. All our cars have Code systems. The system in the TTA was installed in 91' - still works perfect. Dodge 4x4 has the same alarm from 1988. Only the siren has had to be replaced in 14 years.
Plus Code Alarm has the most durable remotes. DEI's are cheesy (cheap plastic).
If your going the keyless route, why not add a remote start while your at it?

Originally posted by GNandTTA
I like Code Alarm. Reliability is what you want in a keyless/security system. When it comes to reliability Code Alarm is about as good as it gets.

I would say you're wrong exception for the older system. Where I use to work before sold and still sell Code Alarm the older models were "OK". All the newer models have a 50% failure rate, door lock relays crap out, light flash relay get stuck on, some of the units falses. But the warranty are awsome, we call the rep and need another unit he swings by and exchanges for a new one. And also on the older systems the range was awsome. Hopefully there quality and reliability will change because Audiovox/Prestige had bought out the company.

Originally posted by GNandTTA
Plus Code Alarm has the most durable remotes. DEI's are cheesy (cheap plastic).

Cheesy :confused:

What about the GM keyless entry, VK1000 I think? You get the GM remotes with it. Any good???

thanks
pat

If you going to go with a keyless entry system check out www.microalarm.com I don't know for sure if they sell to the public, but it starts from $25 and up.

50% failure rate??? I don't know where you got that number from? I'm still friends with the owner of the shop I worked at back in the late 80's. He still installs Code products and would want nothing else. And I know for a fact that they install on average 2 or 3 systems a day. The ONLY complaint he has ever had with Code is that recently they completly changed their product lineup. The new ones do not even come with a siren??? WTF is that??? Typical big comapny with their heads up there a**.

I sell DEI Alarms And Code-alarm. Honestly, I only carry Code so I can still get parts for when their junk remotes fail, or the modules go bad and keep the interior lights illuminated or the siren goes high draw and burns out the siren output transistor. Their products were the best 10 years ago, now I don't know what happened? I tried to do my part and sell american products, but the failure rate killed us. BTW, I'm only 22, but I've been in the car audio business since the age of 10. My father and I run our business, and we are one of the biggest "small dealers" on this coast. We can't compete with Best Buy, and Circuit city obviously :) DEI is the way to go I put a 553 automate keyless alarm in my car w/start and I hid the led behind the "security" in the dash cluster, so it lights up and looks stock.

DEI products is a quality product that you install and pratically never see it come back. Prestige/Audiovox is very simular reliability as DEI. Hoping that since Code got taken over by Audiovox they would change over the Code units to something better. An example that Clifford got bought out from DEI, now the Clifford models (Matrix) still looks like a Clifford. The remotes, siren, brain, LED and shock sensor looks the same but all the internals are DEI.

I installed many, many Codes, most of them are still working fine and never seen them return back yet but in the long run you don't know whats going to happen next. Another alarm system that also problems are Ungo (but thats a another story).

I don't know where you guys are getting your Code products from? My friend has been in business since the mid 80's and still to this day sells Code products. Alarms/remote starters account for most of his business. If they were truly bad, he would have been out of business a long time ago.

Junk remotes?? You must be kidding!! I think you have it backwards - DEI has the junk remotes compared to Code. There is a huge difference in quality.