Any one running a GT series turbo?

V8KILLR

2speed 1day fast & faster
What do you all think? Any one going as big as a GT47 or GT60? I've heard VERY good things about them, but would like to know how they run on GNs.

Jason

They are kinda new. They are also difficult to get to work with the GN 3 bolt exhaust housing. Mike at Full Throttle Speed and Style is selling turbos with the new GT style wheels.

What is so hard about getting it to work with the GN 3 bolt exhaust housing? What if some one was to make a custom 4 bolt exhaust and use a 4 bolt exhaust housing?

Jason

You won't see a GT47 or GT60 in a 3 bolt variation. They are both large frame units. I have had 2 GT47-88 that I sold to some customers, and I saw no way to physically adapt a 3 bolt housing to it. Just to give you some indication of how big the GT47 is, here is a picture below of the GT47-88

GT4788.jpg

Jose

WOW Jose, that thing is huge!!!!!!! Going back to the GT questions.........sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but is there any way for the GT47 or GT60 to work with a GN S2 TA block setup. Maybe if you had some pics or the problem I'd understand a little better. I'm just starting learning w/ this project.

THanks again,
Jay

Well the problem is no one casts a 3 bolt housing that is big enough. You could very well use this turbo on a GN, but you would have to cut the 3 bolt flange off and swap to a 4 bolt or make an adapter plate for it.

Jose

How's it going Jose. I haven't saw you at the track lately. But I've not been a whole lot since I sold the GN. Been to busy thrashing on everybody else's stuff.

Jay, if your going to do a motor wild enough to support a big turbo like a GT47 then your gonna need a good 4 bolt header system anyway. The smallest GT47 will support over 1000hp I believe. Jose can correct me if I'm wrong.

Dusty, good to see you, what are you going to build next??

As for the GT47, yeah the smallest is the GT47-80, which is rated 1400hp, the GT47-88 is rated 1500.

Jose

Im running a gt40 right now and i love it. i have a 2800rpm
stall converter and i think it spools as good or better than
the stock turbo. it take quite a few modifications to make it fit.
it is a 4 bolt housing with an adapter. a big problem is that
the air inlet to the turbo was obstructed by the up pipe to
the throttle body. i only have 400miles on it and the brand
new motor so i don't know its true potential.

Which version GT40 do you have? I have a few of the 67T's coming but they are already spoken for. I think I will be ordering some more just to test it againist some other units.

Jose

Originally posted by MARINES185
Im running a gt40 right now and i love it. i have a 2800rpm
stall converter and i think it spools as good or better than
the stock turbo. it take quite a few modifications to make it fit.
it is a 4 bolt housing with an adapter. a big problem is that
the air inlet to the turbo was obstructed by the up pipe to
the throttle body. i only have 400miles on it and the brand
new motor so i don't know its true potential.

MARINES185,
Thanks for the info. Any way you could get me some pics of your setup?

It seems like to me that doing the custom would not be that big a deal............hell, I think when I'm done I'll have 20K+ in the engine. Getting custom made 4 bolt headers is just one more thing to do. If you don't mind me asking, MARINES185, how much more do you think that you had to pay to go with that adapter and other modifications?

Thanks,
Jason

the gt40 i have is the smaller of the two versions. the only
reason i went with this turbo is because i work for a garrett turbo
deal and got one smoking deal on it. but with all the mods such
as external wastegate ($250) and 4 bolt adapter ($50). the
down pipe is kind of custom. the throttle body had to get a
1'' spacer under it so the mass air pipe would hook to the
turbo. its not totally finished as i just have dryer vent for an
air intake until i can get some 3.5'' tubing. the only other problem
with the turbo was that i had to take exhaust housing off
and drill 4 new holes so when it was bolted to the center
section, the oil feed and return would be vertical. i can't show
any pics cause i don't have a scanner. anyone in the syracuse,
ny area thats interested in seeing can let me know. i can
also help those who are doing this conversion on ideas.

Getting new turbos is a problem with the Buicks because of the 3 bolt exhaust housing. There are many really good turbos out there that use the 3 bolt housing though. Soon, Garrett will have a ball bearing center section so that we can run the regular GN turbos in ball bearing.

A lot of the turbo guys, John Craig & PT&E, are using newer GT wheels in old TR turbos. The thing holding the TRs back is the 3 bolt housing.

Jose, I'm doing a small block chevy with a turbo this time. Hopefully be out later this year. There is a good reason I'm familiar with the GT47 power ratings:D

I'm going a little bigger than I originally planned but it will be much easier to upgrade later on.

Cool deal Dusty. I would watch though for a new unit from Turbonetics coming ;) . I will probably swap to it myself, of course after I try this PTE-88 and then a Y2K-88BB. BTW, the GT47 is laggy, very heavy wheels, heck the compressor wheel weighs 422 grams itself :eek:

Jose

Why is there no info on the GT60? I'd love to see some pics and hear about any one using one of those bad boys!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason