Any one race stock or super stock.

87LimitedT

Just getting started
Im wanting to get into stocker or super stock with my regal but was wondering if any one else has raced any of these classes with their turbo regals and what type of things you have done and what all can you do in either class.

I was involved is NHRA Stock and Super Stock for a few years and here is my opinion.

First, if you want to seriously compete, figure a bank account of $100k.:eek:

If you are just doing it for fun, set aside $1000 for a weekend event with maybe a half-dozen runs,

Oh, in the Super Stock class, your turbo, throttle body, and valves MUST be completely stock, and then my class index was 10.51. The Chevies will eat you alive!:D

All turbo cars are NOT liked by NHRA, as the rules reflect that.:eek:

well im looking to do it for fun im wanting to run in the stock class for now do you know what all i would have to do inorder to run stock.

What we need is a factory apearing stock tire class for 83 and up muscle cars. I have been trying to get something started on this for a while now but caint seem to get any ones intrest.

If all your after is fun, stock/super stock isn't what you want to do. The rules spec certain things can/cannot be done. If you are competitive then you have to pay big bucks to for mods that fall within the rules, but cost big bucks for just a few hp if that. Where as a mod that isn't allowed in the rules might cost 1/10th the price and give you 3 times more power.

My buddy runs super stock in a camaro. Was 3rd nationally couple years ago, 1st in division couple years.

He has 3 motors, 2 trannies, 43ft trailer, tow rig. That is just to start the season.

He did the math and it is slightly over $200 per run to race if nothing goes wrong.

Getting your reaction time down where you can adjust based on what pair of sunglasses you are wearing is a must. Getting a turbo car to react consistant, well good luck.

It is a lot of work, and with all racing it isn't a money making operation.

yeah i was talking to uncle last night he’s been racing for 30 plus years he’s got a 55 Chevy SS/PA won his class and qualified thirteenth out of a hundred and sixty five cars this year at the nationals ,and said i could probably do it with my car but idd be better of getting something else like a camaro or another regal and just throw a 350 in it to get started.

i'm very big on stock/super stock cars... in fact i'm trying to get my 86 gn in shape for H/Stock Automatic..its true there are cheaper easier classes/competions to compete in than stock/super stock, but its not the same.(same as the there are cheaper easier ways to go just as fast as our tr's but its not the same)..imo there is no higher level of mechanical perfection & driver skill than stock/super stock & pro stock, the stock/super stock cars performances are stunning when you realize & understand the rules they have work with when building a car... its not easy & does cost $... sure champion heads & a windmill size turbo will make you go fast... but.. well.. i starting to preach to the chior now :)... & no nhra does not like factory turbo cars.. they are difficult to regulate per their rules.. but i'm not letting that stop me... i'll turn some heads have some fun & the comrodery among this group of races is the best of any group imo... i could keep going but i'll stop for now :)

..oh btw... our tr's make much better stockers than super stockers because of the things you can & can't change in the classes..

do you know what all u can don in stocker to our cars

well thats a loaded question... i'd get a nhra rule book & read the rules for stock class that will start to give you an understanding... & its more a matter of fine tuning every aspect of the car, getting rid of unnecessary stuff on the car (hvac sound deadener, power steering etc) to get the car to class weight... another thing to understand it better would be go to a race & look @ stock class cars & talk with the owners... i was impressed the first time i saw a 305 q-jet in a 3rd gen f-body run in the mid 11's ... i thought holy s! those things are turds on the street, a lot of fine tuning tuning & control tolerance on every aspect of the car, engine, trans, suspension etc. & yes a lot of money too, but hey its made to spend right :)