Any one make it to 10's w/6131e yet

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think that turbo is pretty similar to the PTE 54.

and if that is the case then, yes 10s are very attainable. I went 6.7 in the 1/8th at 102.7 mph with that turbo.

My only 1/4 run with that turbo was a terrible 7.0 in the 1/8th which resulted in a 10.8 1/4 mile run.

It could have done mid 10s on the 6.7 1/8th mile run.

If only there was a 1/4 track closer to me :(

Grandnat said:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think that turbo is pretty similar to the PTE 54.

and if that is the case then, yes 10s are very attainable. I went 6.7 in the 1/8th at 102.7 mph with that turbo.

My only 1/4 run with that turbo was a terrible 7.0 in the 1/8th which resulted in a 10.8 1/4 mile run.

It could have done mid 10s on the 6.7 1/8th mile run.

If only there was a 1/4 track closer to me :(

The 61 is actually a much better turbo than the 54. It has an updated newer Garrett GT compressor wheel which is like nearly 78% efficient at 22 lbs of boost, and makes about 50 more horse than the 54. It also spools the same if not quicker. I'd be in the 10's with mine if it wasn't for a bunch of small stuff going against me. Plus my car is HEAVY. High 10's turbo for sure. Maybe mid 10's with everything perfect and a light weight car.

d0n_3d said:
The 61 is actually a much better turbo than the 54. It has an updated newer Garrett GT compressor wheel which is like nearly 78% efficient at 22 lbs of boost, and makes about 50 more horse than the 54. It also spools the same if not quicker. I'd be in the 10's with mine if it wasn't for a bunch of small stuff going against me. Plus my car is HEAVY. High 10's turbo for sure. Maybe mid 10's with everything perfect and a light weight car.

This is the 6131e? I thought the 6131s may touch a 10.9 on a ported head/cam car. If you are referring to the 6152 then i can see mid 10s out of it really ringing it out. The 6131e seems to really be a good street turbo, if my dad ever gives me the go ahead id like to order one for his 86, should turn it into a beast :cool:

don't forget now that the only difference between the 6152 and 6131 is just the turbine wheel...the T-31 wheel is slightly smaller than the T-350 wheel and there's only maybe a 25 horse difference between the two...the T-350 wheel is slightly more efficient as well...both turbos are great...I guess it just depends on what converter you have to choose between the two.

d0n_3d said:
don't forget now that the only difference between the 6152 and 6131 is just the turbine wheel...the T-31 wheel is slightly smaller than the T-350 wheel and there's only maybe a 25 horse difference between the two...the T-350 wheel is slightly more efficient as well...both turbos are great...I guess it just depends on what converter you have to choose between the two.

Is that really the only difference?
Hmmmm

They aren't that different! I've seen guys go 7.0's in the 1/8th on a 6131 so I can't forsee the horsepower difference being that drastic!

John Wilde said:
Is that really the only difference?
Hmmmm
Yep, the exhaust wheel is the same size as the TE44 exhaust wheel. The compressor side is the same GT61.
My best so far with a fully weighted car was 7.23 at 96 in the 8th, and that was with a 2700 stall convertor with a 1.66 60'.
The sweet spot for me seems to be about 24# but I have stock untouched heads too.
I have a looser convertor now, so I hoping to better those 60' times and bring that time on down a bit.

d0n_3d said:
The 61 is actually a much better turbo than the 54....

The PTE-54 is a replica of Limit's Ta/Te61 correct?? If so, the GT61 comp. wheel is more efficient at lower boost levels up to approx. 24psi. After that the old stand by Ta/Te61 (PTE-54?) makes plenty more HP.

K.

NCTURBOS said:
The PTE-54 is a replica of Limit's Ta/Te61 correct?? If so, the GT61 comp. wheel is more efficient at lower boost levels up to approx. 24psi. After that the old stand by Ta/Te61 (PTE-54?) makes plenty more HP.

K.

I don't care about the boost PSI alone, I am also interested in CFM and back pressure. Just because a turbo will run at a higher boost level doesn't mean
it will make more power. The PT61 is rated 10HP higher the the PT54 according to Precision Turbo.

d0n_3d said:

I agree that it is very efficient because I have been running 18-20 psi with the PT6152E since october on straight 93 and get 1.5 degrees of knock at the most. That is only when the transmission shifts into 4th early and the converter is locked. Otherwise, 18-20 psi all day with zero knock through the setup in my sig.

John Wilde said:
The PT61 is rated 10HP higher the the PT54 according to Precision Turbo.

And we've never seen those #'s scewed before... :rolleyes:

CFM and backpressure for any given boost level below approx. 24 the GT61 is slightly better. Above that boost level the "old" Ta/Te61 hands down... FACT!!!

Been there, done that... I'll take the Ta/Te61 in a 1/4mi. situation any day of the week, and I do.

K.

NCTURBOS said:

CFM and backpressure for any given boost level below approx. 24 the GT61 is slightly better. Above that boost level the "old" Ta/Te61 hands down... FACT!!!

Been there, done that... I'll take the Ta/Te61 in a 1/4mi. situation any day of the week, and I do.

K.

Thanks for giving me your real world experience.
So would you think the newer wheel would be better for my daily driver?

John Wilde said:
Thanks for giving me your real world experience.
Unless you plan to be running more than 24# on your daily driver I would think so. The 6131e needs about a 3000 stall to spool perfectly for a driver.

John Wilde said:
I don't care about the boost PSI alone, I am also interested in CFM and back pressure. Just because a turbo will run at a higher boost level doesn't mean
it will make more power. The PT61 is rated 10HP higher the the PT54 according to Precision Turbo.

yeah well I wasn't in charge of rating the horsepower on the turbos...I can tell you first hand and from my good customers that the 61 is "capable" of much more horsepower than 630...I've seen some guys make nearly 700 on a good efficient motor (non buick). The 61 can run high boost too. Some guys have run 35 psi no problem.

and the 54 actually has a bigger exhaust wheel than the 61 JFYI...the compressor is the same exact wheel used on the TE60...I don't think that is the same as the old TE61

NCTURBOS said:

K.

to each of their own I guess...some people just don't believe in NEW stuff I guess...I ran my car on a bone stock motor no heads or cam or nothing and ran down into the 11.50's on 23 psi of boost on this turbo...who wants to run 30 psi of boost everyday anyways?

John Wilde said:

Yes. Spools great with a Vigilante 0-pump if using a PTE exhaust housing. If you send a .63 Garrett core to use with it, it even works well with the D-5.

K.

to each of their own I guess...some people just don't believe in NEW stuff I guess...

Not a true comment. Sometimes "new" doesn't make it better.

I ran my car on a bone stock motor no heads or cam or nothing and ran down into the 11.50's on 23 psi of boost on this turbo...who wants to run 30 psi of boost everyday anyways?

That's good performance. We've had cars run 11.3x-11.5x with very similar bolt-ons, but at 24psi. ;)

My experience with the GT61 is that if you were to turn it up from your 23psi to say 26psi you would either gain nothing or lose HP. Whereas the Ta/Te61 would continue to gain and outperform the GT61.

K.