Any news on the track in Miami?

BLACK6PACK

1 sec reaction King
I heard that they were trying to build a 1/4 mile track near the homestead motor speedway. What's the latest? Is it dead?

No news...

last I heard was nothing happening in Homestesd, but the Miccosukee Indian Tribe were going to open a track, 1/8 mile was ready, but not opened cause they were gonna extend it to a 1/4. Hope it's true and not just rumors.

Back in the early-mid eighties when they closed Hollywood Speedway, that rumor was around too, the petitions were around also..about building a 1/4 mile track in Dade.

IT ain't going to happen! Miami isn't a motorsport town unfortunately. Just go to any of the races at Homestead, other than the Nascar in Nov, the seats are empty (remember CART split last year b/c low attendance and the date was filled with a second tier series / IRL).

Nobody from Broward is going to drive down to Miami for a track, since Moroso is just north of them.

We can only wish!

In west Dade..

I've heard it's close to their site. I am no expert, but I am willing to bet that a dragstrip in Miami wouldn't do too bad. There are quite a few gear-heads in the area.

I know plenty of people that don't like the drive to Moroso. They'd rather stick a foot in their cars' a$$ at the street races than drive up there. IF the homestead track were to open there would most likely be less worry of 'where ever shall we run?' I mean Saga and the dump are only minutes from Homestead Motorsports Complex anyhow! A badass NHRA track would fit perfectly there.

The drive for me would suck both ways. An hour to miami or an hour to Palm Beach, but at least you would get more than 3-4 runs in a night. We have over 4 million people in the tri-county area. WE NEED 2 TRACKS!!!

What is funny/sad about this situation is the fact that people would rather race on the street rather than attend Moroso.

I have grown up in this area and have attended races weekly at Moroso and Miami Hollywood (well when you could anyway) since the mid eighties, even was at both tracks one night (Moroso rained out so we drove to Hollywood in search of our first 12 second pass c. 1987), young, dumb and dedicated :D . What I can't understand is the total lack of professional conduct at Moroso. The track crew treats the sportsman racers like total crap even though they make up well over 2/3 of the total attendance (gate, $$$, ect). Favoritism is rampant, right good buddy ;) , and they just don't make sense most of the time, not to mention the fact that most of the time no one really watches the cars on the starting line for possible problems. Lets not forget Moroso's World Famous hour long oil down clean up ritual :rolleyes: think it begins with the official lighting of the "fattie".

$10 to race or $10 to watch, WTF? Should be $10 to race and $5 to watch, or $10 to watch and you can redeem your ticket for a drink or hot dog or something. Why not make the track a place to bring the family without the need for a credit application! BTW 20oz sodas were recently lowered from $3.00 to $2.50, yeah!!!

The latest fiasco is their 10.5 inch tire shoot out. First of all you don't qualify, all names are thrown in a hat and you pull a number to see who you run, why not run qualifing??? Then they don't post the racers times, It's not Outlaw Sunday folks, get over it, lets get the fans involved, show em what you can do. Third and final, the purse sucks, $600 to win, big deal. I was just at Shadyside Dragway a privately owned 1/8 mile track in Boiling Springs N.C. ever hear of it? They run a 10.5 tire shootout (no big dot's like Moroso either, joke) every month and they pay $10K to the winner and $500 to the number one qualifier. Result? Lots of shootout cars and a couple thousand fans show up to see really good racing. BTW $1.50 gets you a bologna sandwich and a coke at the snack bar ;) .

It's sad that we have the makings of a world class facility at our disposal and nobody wants to go there. I feel for the people to the South, heck I wouldn't want to work all day, fire up the truck and drive 1.5 hours to see if I can get 3 passes in either. Why Moroso won't open for Sunday test and tune or all day Saturday racing is beyond me, but what do I know, I'm just a racer. I was voicing my opinions to a track worker the other day, he said you have some good ideas, you should apply here. I told him he wouldn't want to see that happen, he asked why and I replied. "Because then I would have to fire you!" :) .

John,
I would love to see you try to get them motivated up there at Moroso. Sounds like you have some good ideas. You should try to talk to the some decision makers up there. Your right, sportsman class is 2nd class to them, and there are usually over 250 of them there on test-n-tune. I don't want to rag on the old guy too much, but the old white haired guy that does the tech is dang grumpy. Not a good way to start the evening of fun. I guess it is a thankless job.

I have to agree with kerr on all the facts he stated about the track..the way that place is ran sucks and i have heard numerous people compare the track to an ice rink!:eek: Thats really bad news if you ask me. Plus the nights they are open it is so packed because there are no other real nights to test and tune besides weds & Friday. Think newowner ship would be a solution(phat chance of that happening). Overall, i avoid the place and only go maybe 4-5 times a year max to run my car, just because it is such a hassle.

Shoebox

Kerr,
You hit it right on the head about Moroso. OSW should be put in that group too. Here they open the gate 10-20 mins after the gate listed gate opening time. Obviously they start running just as late or later.They will also drag out the program if it rains past the full event times so they will not give you a rain check. Another stupid one, if rain stops they will let you run 1/8 mi after they have racers drive their cars in circles up to the 1/8 mi mark to dry the track.So now those dumb ones who decided to race have to slow down in the other 1/8 mi which is still damp.

Do you think that they will refund 1/2 your money for 1/2 the racing? HELL NO! Bring that up to them and you get that WTF ? look. And lets not talk about "you Just ran 12.99 , you need a roll bar,jacket and harness" bunch of retards.

No BOP show and they wont allow someone else to put one together either.

Unfortunately the melbourne track is no more for now. I was looking forward to a new track with less car loads and most of all a New style of management ,much more in line with todays racing both for fun and profit.

Alright, you guys want a new drag strip to race at? i'll tell you where to put one. have a burnout box at the end of wiles road by the everglades, and race to coral ridge drive, alex you know where this is. and you know what, you can run all damn night.
cops being the only problem. because they are not going to get organized at moroso anytime soon.

RE; I May have an inside scoop!...

Originally posted by Boost
last I heard was nothing happening in Homestesd, but the Miccosukee Indian Tribe were going to open a track, 1/8 mile was ready, but not opened cause they were gonna extend it to a 1/4. Hope it's true and not just rumors /B]

Hey Boost, i may have an inside scoop on the tribe track...months/years ago there was a few guys who called themselves RASR (Rodders Against Street Racing) they were in a Car Craft magazine under the topic of 'The nations hottest cruise spots. I called their # they listed and talked with a guy by the name of Angel. He's been trying his best to lobby the FL seats to get a strip down here in miami. The only good place besides the homestead area he found was the miccosukees area. He tried talking to Steve AKA Tiger Tiger and got a response that they were too busy with their new hotel project...well, the hotel is done and it seems that Tiger frequents Little Hoolies down here near the Falls Mall. (heres the kicker) My mother goes there and is on a good speaking basis with Tiger. I will give my "now spy" mom instructions to see how the track is shaping out and try to get some real info...

Thanks "SithV6"...

Keep us informed ! It would be great if there was a dragstrip in Dade County.

GREAT NEWS!.....i hope...

Keep us informed ! It would be great if there was a dragstrip in Dade County.

OK she talked with him today...and all he said to her was there was definately plans on finishing it...(I KNOW I KNOW thats not exactly what we wanted to hear) so....she set up a date with him to go to a live band at a local pub THIS SAT. and told him that I wanted to talk with him about the details of the track. I'll be able to ask him just about anything.../what are the hold ups?/what is the soonest it can be opened/are there worries about the enviornment?...etc etc...Hell, I'll go up to moroso every opening for a week just to get the miccosukees an estimate in income potential for the track. We're not even including the higher profile the track could give for their gaming and hotels for events that they could host if they go through with this! (*thoughts of NIRA hosted events and abundance of "RICERS" already crawling our streets comes to mind...ewwwww*) I"M REALLY PUMPED for this now that my bottom end is FINALLY getting worked on!

:mad:
Moroso is a joke. I live in Ft. Lauderdale and the track is prolly and hour and a half away from my house. I can't believe no one has thought to build a track in south broward / north dade. It would have to be popular...

If at first you don't succeed....

will keep monitoring this thread.;)

Looks like he never showed up to the gig Sat so now it's time to try it where I know he will be...I DON'T GIVE UP EASILY...