Any Go-To transmission guys in so-cal?

TType85

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Is there anyone left in so-cal that can do a good job on a 200 without breaking the bank?

Then one in my car was built by the "Toy Shop" in the late 90's, has probably 30K miles of being beat on and today decided to loose 2nd gear.

Aren't money pits fun?

Might want to talk to Lou Czarnota about his "secret handshake" guy. He's built a few trannies for some of Lou's customers.

check with Donnie Wang

he is NOT a secret, but is very skilled and experienced

DRW trans,
10728 Kenney St, Ste B, Santee, CA 92071
(619) 258-4240

Try this guy he done mine and a few friends transmissions great work name of the please is four c's guys name is jolene he is a nice person with great knowledge. Location is santa fe springs ca.

I had mine done in February by Leo @ Remac Trans in San Dimas, CA. I daily drive mine and put on about 10k miles a year. This trans and converter (edge racing) combo is the best part of my car now, every shift is solid and quick. He went over the entire parts list and explained to me which build was best for my application and wallet. Hard to find someone who will warranty a transmission knowing that its going to be raced and driven as much as possible. A coupe buddies have two ton 96 Impala SS's with built motors and have gone through numerous transmissions until finding Leo. His shop is full of racing trophies. You should stop by and talk to him Remac Transmissions Inc.

he is NOT a secret, but is very skilled and experienced

DRW trans,
10728 Kenney St, Ste B, Santee, CA 92071
(619) 258-4240

I second that!

You won't find better customer service ANYWHERE...of course I'm biased. :biggrin:

i would also put nick micale on the list.. hes in phoenix arizona.. i drive out to arizona often so if u wanted to have someone take it out there for you i could

i would also put nick micale on the list.. hes in phoenix arizona.. i drive out to arizona often so if u wanted to have someone take it out there for you i could
Yes I have to agree that Nick would also be a good helpful source but defiantly not as good looking as I.

At times like this I wish Len Freeman was still around. God knows what ever happened to him but he could build a solid 200 4R trans. I spoke to Jason Cramer when he had just gotten back from the GS Nationals, he ran 9.21 @ 149 MPH on a 200 4R Len Built. It's a shame he's not still in business.

Neal

At times like this I wish Len Freeman was still around. God knows what ever happened to him but he could build a solid 200 4R trans. I spoke to Jason Cramer when he had just gotten back from the GS Nationals, he ran 9.21 @ 149 MPH on a 200 4R Len Built. It's a shame he's not still in business.

Neal

Looks like Jason has stepped it up. Way to go Jason!! I'm doing a bearing job on mine right now, I need a competent tranny man also that can do whatever mods are required to save the thrust when running a TH400.

I had DRW do mine

he did my 200r4 and my 400 ,
and yes he did do the mod to save the thrust brg,!

Looks like Jason has stepped it up. Way to go Jason!! I'm doing a bearing job on mine right now, I need a competent tranny man also that can do whatever mods are required to save the thrust when running a TH400.

Scott,

You need to restrict the line pressure to the convertor. The excess pressure is killing your thrust bearing. I don't claim to be a trans guy but maybe you can search the trans forum for more info.

Neal

Another alternative would be Steve Culhane in Lake Elsinore. He does nice work.

If you want to save some money you can remove the trans and take it to him to rebuild. That would go for most shops though not just him.

Neal

X2

I've got over 350 passes on the tranny Len built for me and still running strong. Best money I ever spent on my car.

RJ

Thanks everyone for the replys. I now have a few people to talk to so I can get this sorted out. It looks like I am going to be budgeting about $3K for the trans/converter but it will have to wait a few months till early next year.

The trans is going to see some high 10/low 11 passes and a little street milage. It's almost tempting to go the cheaper route of a 350/400 as the car may only see a few thousand miles per year, most on the street or the way to the track. I know I would probably regret it though.