Another V4 question...

ALBERTAN

Resident Window Licker
I'm in the middle of installing my CAS V4 (thanks for the instructions TurboV6). I want to attach the passenger's side mounting bracket and the upper bolt goes into the water pump. The instructions say to use RTV sealer on the threads so it doesn't leak. The RTV says to make sure both surfaces are dry. Well there isn't a snowball's chance in He!! of getting things dry way in there short of taking it all apart. Any suggestions, or is this much ado about nothing? I'd hate to get it together and have to turn around and disassemble it to correct a leak.

Thanks in advance as usual. Dunno what I'd do without this place. :)

Dean, I use the GM brush-on sealer and it works fine. The teflon sealer or tape works as well.

It's much ado about nothing. Just coat the threads with RTV and it will be fine. I've had to remove/replace that bolt a few times so far and it's been okay.

Jim

I removed the bolts and let all the coolant out of the block they install new longer bolt with liquid teflon. I also spread on smooth coat of teflon (with my fingers) on the bolts. No leak here.

Any problems reading the instructions?

Thanks guys. The intercooler is very nice Nick. The reducer was the wrong size, but I'll hold onto it for the upcoming turbo upgrade. ;) The instructions were easily read. That much be a nice camera to get that resolution. I think I'll try the teflon tape. Thanks again.

Sigh. One problem leads to another. May not be a big deal. The compressor housing and the neck of the IC don't line up too well. I took a few pics....1 , 2 , 3 , and 4 .

I can reclock the turbo to correct the Y axis. The X axis could be a bit more problematic. Or I can just see how the reducer fits when it gets here. Just seems a bit silly to have gone through everything port matching and polishing just to have this goofy transition into the IC. I'm interested to here how everyone else's lined up. How did this thing fit on the old car Nick? Although I'm assuming it didn't have a stock turbo. Thaks as always.

Don't look too bad, try to losen the bolts on the IC and move it to the right. Mines fit allmost perfect. On the bracket supplied with the V4 had slots so it can be easily me moved around.

Originally posted by ALBERTAN
Sigh. One problem leads to another. May not be a big deal. The compressor housing and the neck of the IC don't line up too well.......I can reclock the turbo to correct the Y axis. The X axis could be a bit more problematic. Or I can just see how the reducer fits when it gets here. ........ How did this thing fit on the old car Nick? Although I'm assuming it didn't have a stock turbo. Thaks as always.

It lined up much better than shown in your pics Dean. The turbo was a TE-70. The pass side bracket is slotted. You may have to "move" the stock driver's side bracket to align the I/C to the turbo outlet. None of the V-4's I have installed fit easy. They end up ok, but you must make them fit in most cases.

Well if these cars are anything like SyTys, each one is a little different as strange as it seems. I actually had to remove both frame braces to get the V4 to fit. Anyways, I do have some leeway on the passenger's side bracket. The driver's is the problem and its rather solid. Guess I'll have to pull the whole thing and bend it in the vise. Noone ever said it would be easy. Take a look on the front page of my web site though and you'll soon see it's worth the hassle. ;) Thanks guys. :)

Nope. She's a V4. I couldn't figure out why it was bending the lower rad hose so far out of whack. I knew it sits a bit to the passenger's side but it just didn't look right. Crawled under the car and saw the driver's side frame brace in the way. Don't ask why. I'm not complaining though. All in all this car has been a dream to work on. Its only because the last track date of the year is this Saturday and I'm not ready that things are going wrong. For instance it looks like I have to take Friday off just to drive four hours (one way) to pick up the race fuel. Sounds silly for a second, until you realize I am getting the day off. hehe. :p It'll all come together. :)

Sigh...the saga continues. Moving the DS bracket over didn't do a whole lot to line up the compressor's outlet and the IC's inlet. What did work perfectly was to bolt up the bottom hole on the passenger's side IC mount to the top hole on the bracket...now the turbo and the IC line up perfectly. I'll have to get the bracket rewelded/extended ASAP now I guess. However, this creates another potentially serious problem. The IC shroud is tight against the rad support. I mean so tight the IC itself is rock solid if you try to wiggle it...it did have some give before I bolted the shroud up. Now my question is twofold. First, how tight is everyone else's shroud against the rad support? I know you want it tight for clearance and so air doesn't sneak by but yeesh. Second, what is going to break as I build boost at the line and the motor torques the DS of the block up?

That second question sort of answers itself since anything breaking would be a no no. I guess I'll cut a wedge out of the IC and bend it down for now...naturally I just painted it last week. :(

Oh and last point of interest. My inlet pipe now looks like it was made for another car. It only fits about 2" short of the throttle body now. :rolleyes:

Oh well. Time to go back to the garage and expand my vocabulary. :D

My IC shrould was not tight to the rad support. But for your inlet there is a 2-3" gap on both sides, Tony supplies longer IC hoses for this.

Ahhhhh. Well I have regular 2.5" rad hose and the blue high miler stuff so that's no problem. I just finished cutting the shround to bend it down. I gained about 3/4" clearance. Hopefully that will do it. If not the first thing to give should be the shroud. I think I'll get something better than that one welded up this Winter anyways. I'd like one that's adjustable so I can drop it at the track and raise it for use on the street. So many projects, so little time... :)