Another rear main question?

speedskills

Seniór Member
I am installing my rear main right now. Ive decided to use the rtv for the side cavities of the main cap per gnttype. When I inserted the wet wire into the rtv it pulled alot of the sealer out. Is this normal? I dont want to do this again anytime soon. Thanks guys.

I going to tackle this task tomorrow thanks to a bad pcv, I am using the fel pro bs40613 "lip seal" style , what gasket kit are you using for the main and what pan gasket and rtv are you using.

I did mine this winter. Went with the Felpro seal and used the right stuff for the side cavities. did not use the wire but made sure it squirted out. That was enough to convince me there were no air bubbles. After a couple drives no leaks.

I am installing my rear main right now. Ive decided to use the rtv for the side cavities of the main cap per gnttype. When I inserted the wet wire into the rtv it pulled alot of the sealer out. Is this normal? I dont want to do this again anytime soon. Thanks guys.
i prefer to use a washer of the right size to seal the cavity so i can put lots of pressure on the RTV-----that seems to squeeze any air out-------i also use one of those neat "tube squeezers" that allow you to really get some pressure on the tube------------but if you have doubts about cavities in the RTV first dip the wire in a glass of water each time you insert it-------it dislocates the wire from the RTV and actually speeds up the cure.............RC

Well this is the second time doing this in the past few weeks thanks to operator error. The first time i didnt use the wire and after sitting two weeks the rtv still had not cured. This time i used the wire and dipped it in water but it still pulls too much rtv out for my liking. I went ahead and sealed it up. We'll see what happens. I used the same felpro gasket, rubber pan gasket, and ultra black rtv. To keep the rubber pan gasket on i smear some rtv on the pan and also use small wire in the front 3 holes to keep gasket from falling in the pan.