Another Jersey new guy...

Just my .02 c:

Get the bumper fillers from SpoolFool. Bit pricier, but unbelievable quality and fit. One piece rear filler looks sweet.

Jim Dunn gets your factory radiator re-cored with wider tubes, it looks factory, fits factory, but performs much better.

Factory

Jim's

Talk to him. I'm going down there in April, can either pick up or drop off for you. I'm in Staten Island and pass through NJ.

Thanks Live4. I've seen the bumper fillers in Spoolfool's signature, and they do look nice. To be honest, the cosmetics will come at a later point. Right now I just need to get the car running so I can see what needs to be done mechanically - including getting a Scanmaster on it.

That's a kind offer of you - thanks. Ive read about Mr. Dunn's work and seems top notch. I'd prefer to not have to wait until April though :) .

I am not very mechanically inclined, and know even less about turbo cars. The more I read here, the more concerned and confused I get. I feel like if I don't do "this" right now, I'm destined to blow up the engine. So much of this seems to be daunting tasks. The more I read, the more overwhelming it seems to be.

Is there a recommended service/repair manual that I can purchase?

"I am not very mechanically inclined, and know even less about turbo cars. The more I read here, the more concerned and confused I get. I feel like if I don't do "this" right now, I'm destined to blow up the engine. So much of this seems to be daunting tasks. The more I read, the more overwhelming it seems to be.

Is there a recommended service/repair manual that I can purchase?"

Then here is the best suggestion I have for you (ask me how I know, lol): rent a $19 car trailer from U Haul and drag your car to Jim Dunn's place. He'll go through it and tell you everything you need and don't need.

I did exactly that. My car sat for few years neglected. Jim went through it, did the basics and I've been back few times for various upgrades.

No matter how many manuals you buy or people you speak with, there are few little tricks to every step. These cars are very fragile and certain things HAVE to be done to make sure you have a healthy car before you make it an athlete.

I'm in Morris Plains we all neighbors LOL :). Hoping to grab up another turbo buick this summer. Sold my GN to a friend last year to pay off some things :(

I'm in Morris Plains we all neighbors LOL :). Hoping to grab up another turbo buick this summer. Sold my GN to a friend last year to pay off some things :(
Hi neighbor!
So when is the first annual morris/Sussex county turbo buick meet?

Hey Buddy! We'll definitely have to arrange a meet up. Hopefully the DOT will fix some of these roads up first though. I think my kid lost the Civic in one of the potholes by me. 55* today and I was "afraid" to take my bike out due to the road conditions.

I'm working right in Morris plains tomorrow, right on speedwell!!!

I'm a builder. I built the commercial building across from friendlys, next to the school. I'm tiling a backsplash there tomorrow.

I’m still a new guy around here, and certainly green when it comes to turbo Buicks. So this will be an ongoing learning experience.

At the suggestion of another member on here, as well as doing my share of research, I contacted Jim Dunn about having some work done to my car. If I were to end the story now, I’d simply say it was the best and smartest thing I could have done with this car. But that’s not really fair to Jim and what he accomplished with this car.

From the beginning, Jim was super helpful and informative. Having never spoken to him previously, he took the time to talk to me on the phone and walk me through some basics, just so I could understand what I was dealing with. He made me feel comfortable enough that I decided to bring the car to him as soon as I possibly could. Like anyone else, I was anxious to get behind the wheel (I hadn’t even test drove it because it was in FL, and I’m in NJ). Jim was accommodating in squeezing me into his schedule, especially with spring right around the corner.

Jim had the car for about 3 or so weeks, which to me was certainly reasonable. Considering the amount of parts to be ordered and the work that would ultimately be done, it was a small price to pay (literally and figuratively). Throughout the entire process, he continuously kept in touch with me – whether it was a phone call, text, e-mail, whatever. He sent me photos of the progress, as well as a couple of videos when he encountered some minor problems (all of which were fixed). Any question that I asked (usually via text for convenience) was quickly answered, although he had no problem picking up the phone and giving me a call as well. If there were options; he gave them to me. (Meaning, you can buy this part that costs “X”, or you can buy this part that costs “Y”. And then he’d give his opinion on what part he liked and why). Never was there a hard sell from Jim.

To top it all off, since my car was, coincidentally, finished up late last week, Jim even delivered it to me at the Kirbans outing. I certainly can’t say he’d do that for everyone, but it shaved about 60 miles off my trip to head down to his place. And to be honest, I was fine with him putting some quality miles on the car to make sure everything was up to snuff.

And no delivery service would be complete unless the car showed up pretty much spotless - Washed, vacuumed, engine bay all cleaned up. Seriously, he cleaned the engine bay up!

I can’t thank Jim enough for all that he did. Great customer service & communication, extremely fair prices, and a finished product that was way beyond anything I had envisioned. He’s earned my business for the future.

I would highly recommend Jim to anyone.

I skimread above. What did he do to the car??

it was the usual list of things that I suspect anyone would need done on a car that's had 500 miles put on it in the last 6 or 7 years.
Fuel pump/sending unit/pump feeder kit, R&R various things like linkage, IAC,upper plenum, etc., plugs & wires, 42# injectors, RJC power plate, TT chip, 02 sensor, various gaskets/vacuum lines/connectors, boost gauge, scanmaster, K&N, re-core stock rad, service trans & rear, "spring cleaning", injector harness, welded header, ignition module. That's the bulk of it.

I'm sure that like so many of us it'll be a work in progress. But I wanted to make sure the car was running "right" before I randomly start slapping go fast parts on it.