Another "front unit endplay "?

WE287GN

Been sometime since I pulled this trans apart..And now I am finally in the middle of putting it back together..
Now while it is possible, I am pretty darned sure I have not misplaced or mixed up the output shaft selective washer and front unit selective washer..

The rear shaft end play seemed fine, but I got to installing the center support and while everyhting sits in fine without binding ..I am not getting any movement of the fwd shaft(front unit endplay)..
The only extra selective washers I have are larger..
Without changing anything I should have been able to put that right back in...

How Tight could the factory endplay possibly be???I never would have thought to check it before disassembly..

Since I was unsure I pulled the drums out twice and reinstalled, same thing..
I have since pulled it all back apart to check the low/reverse section..Wanted to be sure everything was mating as it should..

So far I have found nothing excpet for coming to the conclusion that this thing was tighter from the factory than some of these books are stating..

thanks for any info

What rear selective washer thickness is in there? Ive seen them tight but most of the time they are loose. If they have been gone through by anyone decent they will tighten them up most of the time. I rarely ever am satisfied with the original selective washers.

Well my rear shaft selective is marked white, and measures about .123"..
The front unit selective is marked #9 and is about .105" all my extras are thicker so i doubt it got mixed up..

I am a bit confused now, I have two diff books with two diff specs..
ASTG .004"-.010" on rear shaft .015"-.025" on the front
Haynes is way looser... .004"-.025" on the rear .022" -.051"

Either way, shimming the rear shaft tighter would only make my front end unit endplay tighter , no?
I am going to re-drop everyhting down in the hole and see if maybe I botched something up..
The possibility is there that I misplaced the front end selective somehow, but I am skeptical..
hopefully re check tonight , will report back
thanks so much

Well my rear shaft selective is marked white, and measures about .123"..
The front unit selective is marked #9 and is about .105" all my extras are thicker so i doubt it got mixed up..

I am a bit confused now, I have two diff books with two diff specs..
ASTG .004"-.010" on rear shaft .015"-.025" on the front
Haynes is way looser... .004"-.025" on the rear .022" -.051"

Either way, shimming the rear shaft tighter would only make my front end unit endplay tighter , no?
I am going to re-drop everything down in the hole and see if maybe I botched something up..
The possibility is there that I misplaced the front end selective somehow, but I am skeptical..
hopefully re check tonight , will report back
thanks so much

Measure your rear end play on the bench with the components assembled out of the case. Use a feeler gauge to check the clearance. Choose the appropriate selective washer. There are 2 thickness shell thrust washers available. One is white and one is black. Black is about .020 thicker. Ive ground the selective washer to get the clearance where i want it. You need to check the middle end play with the output shaft supported. Unsupported you will get varying reading and part of it will be rear end play. The front end play is the stackup between the center support and the pump. This IS NOT including the clearance between the front planet and the small snap ring on the splines. Your rear and middle washers are on the thin side as a comparison to what i usually see.

Thanks Bison,
Ya not sure why the books are calling it front? What I am trying to measure is the fwd shaft >center support
I just assembled everything on the rear shaft on the bench..I can get a snug slip fit .028" between the snap ring and selective washer..
I think I only have the white shell selectives and one used metal from my cz core..

Speaking of the metal ones, bronze are they?
Are the plastic ones aftermarket, indicating someone has been in there before?

rear shaft selective

The only other I have is a purple wich is right around .175"
I could have it faced off at work to tighten that shaft play up a bit?

not sure what to aim for, books say one thing, some old posts I have found in searches say another...

Funny thing is I got no fwd shaft movement against center suport even with the rear shaft unsuported...Its got to be darned close, cause the center suport drops right in and seams to bottom out in the case..
Have to try again...
Looks like I may tighten that rear shaft endplay up anyway, so thats a good thing.. the .025" in the HAynes book seems a bit extreme compared to some stuff I have read around here..

The only other I have is a purple wich is right around .175"
I could have it faced off at work to tighten that shaft play up a bit?

not sure what to aim for, books say one thing, some old posts I have found in searches say another...

Funny thing is I got no fwd shaft movement against center suport even with the rear shaft unsuported...Its got to be darned close, cause the center suport drops right in and seams to bottom out in the case..
Have to try again...
Looks like I may tighten that rear shaft endplay up anyway, so thats a good thing.. the .025" in the HAynes book seems a bit extreme compared to some stuff I have read around here..
Its acceptable to face of washers to get the desired end play.

HAd one ground today

Just tested on the bench out of the case..
I can get a .006" feeler in between the the washer and clip now..Start with that and try again..