Anothe Delco battery question

squeeze87

I think my Delco battery is dead too. The eye is dark unless i slosh the battery around and then its green for just a second. I have been doing a 3 amp charge for about 2 hours and if i shut the charger off and check with a volt meter, the votage starts a steady drop. When I first checked it it was 12.98v and in about 1 minute it had dropped to 12.49v and was still dropping. it will charge to start the car but after driving for about 30 min and shutting it off, it still wouldnt start. I know i'm a being cheap here but i dont want to throw $75 away if i dont have to. Any electrical gurus care to give this thing a deat sentence?? Thanks.

Sounds bad to me. Even without an alternator, you should be able to drive around (daylight, no headlights, wipers, etc.) for several hours before a fully-charged battery won't start the car.

The only other thing I would suggest is to check for abnormal amperage draw somewhere. And even then, assuming your alternator is okay, it should go more than 30 minutes!

with only 3 amps of charger available...
depending upon how low the specific gravity is (a measure of the state of charge), and how large the battery is, it could take a week or longer to bring back that "green eye".

Usually, if the "eye" is just black, not yellow, you can bring the battery back to a reasonable portion of health with only a long, slow charge.