AMS1000 Boost controller

Mad_Trbo

This would be considered a performance ECM correct.

Can someone give me an idea of how the AMS1000 unit works. I was flipping through the manual online and having a hard time.

Is the AMS a closed loop system, from my reading I see where they talk about target boost and this being equivalent to pressure at the the gate diaphram and not manifold pressure.

Is there a correlation between pressure at the gate diaphram and manifold pressure, if so then I suppose I have answered my question.

How does C02 play into the equation, meaning how do you monitor pressure and I assume it is simply ran straight to the increase solenoid.

Alot of things for me to understand, anyone up for the 101 course.

The AMS-1000 applies CO2 pressure to the top port of the gate. The spring you have in the gate typically is your base PSI. For example, I have a 4# spring in my gate and I will have 4psi with the CO2 bottle shut off. For every #1 of CO2 it will net about 1psi of additional boost. When you start getting exhaust backpressure you will need more than #1 of CO2 to net 1 more PSI of boost in the manifold, of course there are other variables that vary from combo to combo. I was running about 40# of CO2 to get me 35# of manifold boost and I know some run over 60#'s to get 40+ at the manifold. The CO2 does nothing more than give us more pressure than we can get from the manifold to achieve higher boost with a low base spring. It's kind of trial and error, but when you get it figured out it is a very reliable and stable method of controlling boost.

Hope this helps.

Ted summed it up pretty well. If you get one, I recommend wiring it into the XFI. If it is a street car, I may have an alternative to CO2.

Great Info

The AMS-1000 applies CO2 pressure to the top port of the gate. The spring you have in the gate typically is your base PSI. For example, I have a 4# spring in my gate and I will have 4psi with the CO2 bottle shut off. For every #1 of CO2 it will net about 1psi of additional boost. When you start getting exhaust backpressure you will need more than #1 of CO2 to net 1 more PSI of boost in the manifold, of course there are other variables that vary from combo to combo. I was running about 40# of CO2 to get me 35# of manifold boost and I know some run over 60#'s to get 40+ at the manifold. The CO2 does nothing more than give us more pressure than we can get from the manifold to achieve higher boost with a low base spring. It's kind of trial and error, but when you get it figured out it is a very reliable and stable method of controlling boost.

Hope this helps.

This does help, so it is a closed loop system. But you have to do a little test and tune in order to figure out what target pressure leads to the desired manifold pressure.

Am I correct to assume spool response will be improved for most applications because in a simplistic format with zero ramp you have the gate at the pressure needed to achieve your chosen boost level at the onset with no bleeding off of exhaust pressure as you build manifold pressure.

Cal could you be talking about an air compressor system with hobbs switch.

Cal, give me a call when you have time, we have an issue with boost and not sure if it is the AMS-1000 or the XFI?

Thanks. :)