American Racing Vector 15 X 8.5 Rims

esinger

Stroker Hot Air
When I bought my GN, it came with a nice set of chrome rims that I’ve left on the car since I’ve owned it. With the purchase of my car came all 4 the original wheels in boxes. Well, a couple of weeks ago I pulled the rims out of the boxes for the first time just to check them out. Well I was amazed at the condition, from a scale from 1 to 10 I’d say they are a 9.

Anyway, I’m thinking about putting them back on the car, but I want larger rims for the back. I’ve noticed that American Racing has reproduction Vector rims that are 15 x 8.5 that seem to be the answer.

Has anyone tried these rims and can comment about them and the offset?

the vector wheels only fit the general lee 1969 dodge charger i keep calling american racing and they tell me the same thing...

and before the movie came out there is a thread that we made a list to give to american racing so they can remake the t wheels so we have replacments but the movie company paid more so their only made for a 1969 dodge charger.

the price is 110.00 ea by the way. around my house places want 120 ea to restore and paint the centers black, i have a 84 gn. the charger has a 5 by 5 bolt pattern as yours has a 5 by 4.75 pattern.

Hi MyBuick,

According to their website, American Racing has a two Vector SE wheels that have the 5 by 4.75 bolt pattern. The Part Numbers are 47-58561 and 47-5761. The 8.5" wide wheel has a +6 offset and the 7" has a 0 offset.

So I don't see why they wouldn't fit our GNs? I'm was considered about the +6 offset on the 8.5".

Thanks

Yup. My friend had the 8.5 and 7 on his 84 camaro and his dad had the same exact wheels on his 2nd gen camaro. They also fit on the s 10 pickups no problem too:biggrin: . I could ask him if he still has them but my car currently is not bolted together to try out. I remember the rear stuck out a ways but could sit different on a gbody. Anybody try them out yet??? I should try buying his, they're all silver ones and I think they even have all the caps.

Hmm. I have the original w.r grace vector wheels 8.5 for my 87 they are identical to the T wheels.

so the bigger 8.5 wheels do work on the back? Do the original turbo buick center caps work with these wheels? What size of tire are you running? I want to run a 275/60.

I have 275/50/15's drag radials, You need to get a set of cargo coils to be sure they do not rub with stock worn or lowering springs they will rub for sure!

you need the american or w.r center caps ( I have 2 extra) or you need to modify the T cap to fit as the bore is not the same I used gta metal inserts and massaged them so now they fit and look 100% stock.

My car sits pretty good. A lot higher than I've seen other gbodies sit. I heard cargo springs ride like crap:confused: . I wonder how much a pair of decent widened 8 inch stock would cost??

When I bought my GN, it came with a nice set of chrome rims that I’ve left on the car since I’ve owned it. With the purchase of my car came all 4 the original wheels in boxes. Well, a couple of weeks ago I pulled the rims out of the boxes for the first time just to check them out. Well I was amazed at the condition, from a scale from 1 to 10 I’d say they are a 9.

Anyway, I’m thinking about putting them back on the car, but I want larger rims for the back. I’ve noticed that American Racing has reproduction Vector rims that are 15 x 8.5 that seem to be the answer.

Has anyone tried these rims and can comment about them and the offset?

Here's a pic of them on my T at BG in 1989. I still have them in the garage in mint condition. I thought they were 15 x 9, though. Those are M&H Racemasters on them and they fit just fine.

the suspense is killing me;)

Okay, I was trying to let this die since I noticed the post I was replying to was from a year ago :rolleyes: , but apparently there's still interest in these wheels. So, here's the pic...

Pay no attention to all the rubber on the lower quarters, please...:eek:

Attachments

• Vector Pic.jpg
    Vector Pic.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 3,211
so the bigger 8.5 wheels do work on the back? Do the original turbo buick center caps work with these wheels? What size of tire are you running? I want to run a 275/60.

we had a set on Melissa's WE4 for an hour.. backed out of the driveway and they hit the outside rear 1/4 bad.. She looked at it and said she wouldn't even drive around the block with them.. good ol "bronco billy" look to us. center caps didn't interchange

Attachments

• melT8.51.JPG
    melT8.51.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,032
Yeah right:rolleyes: that's not rubber, that's mud;) J/K

It was cleaner before I drove 800 miles to BG from Chitown...:D Actually, I think that was the year I blew a head gasket (no. 3 into the lifter valley) and drove it home that way. Disconnected the injector and away I went. Poor sap that followed me home, though, took 2 days to wipe all the oil mist off his windshield.:eek: Oh wait, that was my brother...oops.

Attachments

• BG1989.jpg
    BG1989.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 2,037
I run 8.5" wide Vectors on my car with 275/60 MT Drag Radials at the track. I have not bent the fenderwell lips so need to have about 8 psi in each airbag to insure no tire contact.

Am about to install 255/60's on a 2nd set for driving around town.

My brother makes an adapter to fit inside the hub which allows the stock center cap to be used. Don't think I'll need airbags with these tires.

Can send you some pics if you want.

Bob

Backspacing on both of my 8.5" wide Vector sets is 3.5".

I just noticed that this is the hot air section...I don't think you're rims have the black paint between the ribs. But to be clear...the Vectors I have do NOT have paint on them...they look identical to 87 Regal Y56 package rims.

Pics of the adapter to mount the stock center cap and my car with 8.5" wide Vectors when I had 275 ET Streets...no pics available with MT Drag Radials.

Bob

Attachments

• Closeup-Finished Installed ARV Adapter.JPG
    Closeup-Finished Installed ARV Adapter.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,873
  • Car with ARV's 2.JPG
    Car with ARV's 2.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 2,774
  • ARV insert1.jpg
    ARV insert1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,901