Amazing Car Mileage

saywin

Fletch
I just went to the Cars for Sale Post and much to my suprise I found nine 1987 GN's that had a total average of 48,222 about 2,400 miles a year and an average asking price of 14,555.00.:rolleyes:

I know alot of people have owned these cars for a long time, but I just can't believe all the miles are actually this low. So if $14,555.00 is the average asking price on an average of 48,222 miles, what should an asking price be for a 135,000 miles?

feel free to input if you like!:smile:

Not everyone uses theirs as a daily driver. Values of these cars can
vary like anything else. Mileage is a big deal to some and others could care less.
In the end I guess the guy buying at the time will pay what he thinks
it's worth. Location is a factor as well.

Yes

Not everyone uses theirs as a daily driver.
I understand, but it sure seems like alot of low mileage cars to me!!!

Values of these cars can
vary like anything else. Mileage is a big deal to some and others could care less.

I am one that could care less, looking at older cars all the time and heck I've seen some nice restored cars I would love to own that had no telling how many miles on them!:eek:

In the end I guess the guy buying at the time will pay what he thinks
it's worth.
Yes, I agree!!!

Location is a factor as well.
How is the location a factor?:confused:

In parts of the country where cars rust, the value of good condition rust free cars is higher. Demand is also going to be driven by the kind of people living in an area. For example, a 240SX with a 5 speed is not going to fetch anywhere near the same kind of money in say... Birmingham, Alabama as it is going to get in Los Angeles

Ok, that makes sense

In parts of the country where cars rust, the value of good condition rust free cars is higher. Demand is also going to be driven by the kind of people living in an area. For example, a 240SX with a 5 speed is not going to fetch anywhere near the same kind of money in say... Birmingham, Alabama as it is going to get in Los Angeles

So what parts of the country are the Gn's the hottest?:confused:

I would guess that GNs are selling for the most in the midwest rust belt. If not the most money outright, then most likely the most relative to the average income of the people in that area.

Outside of that I would say the south east despite the lack of snow.

Just my guesses

As a general rule, turbo Buicks will bring more money in So Cal area than anywhere else, other than maybe Canada and / or foreign countries. I think that turbo Buicks bring less in the northeast due to the corrosion factor & limited seasonal driving time. I would imagine that Florida area brings the highest $ on the east coast in general. SoCal seems to bring the highest $ for the west coast in general. Imho. HTH

Fwiw, my '87 Turbo-T has 22K actual mileage on it, purchased from the opriginal owner/buyer about 4 years ago with a little over 8K miles on it.

That's cool

Fwiw, my '87 Turbo-T has 22K actual mileage on it, purchased from the opriginal owner/buyer about 4 years ago with a little over 8K miles on it.

What did the original owner do with it when he had it?

What did the original owner do with it when he had it?

I would say he just parked it. I would think that there are a whole lot more TR's out there with 100k miles then there are extreme low mileage cars. You are seeing a lot of the lower mileage cars for sale now I think because of the value on these cars skyrocketing thru the astroroof...:p . Actually, if you think about it, even a 100k car is 'low mileage' as that figures out to 5k miles a year!! I don't know, mileage doesn't seem to be a factor with the 'older' musclecars as a 140k Hemi Cuda is worth probably as much as a 50k 1/4mile at a time Cuda.......:confused: Condition is probably more a factor then mileage on TR's because of the cost of restoring one. Just my 02.............................Ken B.

my car sat for most its life,which isnt good.better for one to be driven (unless museum quality) than sit around with all the hoses,bets,seals drying out......bought mine with 47k ,only 2,350 miles a year average driven.

Another thing to consider is "It isn't the miles but how they were put on that counts". High miles doesn't necessary mean "Bad" and low miles doesn't mean "Good". Constaint good maintanence and attension are required by these cars.

My silver "T" looks like it has less than 50,000 on it but actually has over 330,000 miles on it. It was used as an everyday drivers in CA (till 95) and then in NC till 02.
All body parts are original and in excellant condition. Re-painted factory silver about 5 years ago and had a build stage 2 motor and tranny installed. Now it has less than 5,000 and the air is still COLD.
Gary

It seems such a shame to bastardize a low miler. But who cares anyway, right? Cars are meant to be driven. You know a low mileage car from the right seller would be a good deal. I have so many cars and motorcycles that it is almost impossible to rack up the miles on most of them. I'm guessing thats the story on most of them.The seller owns a few cars and the TR is just a toy. I'm the type of guy who hates to do a lot of work. My big phobia is rust. I'll gladly pay a premium for a rust free car that has some powertrain issues over the rustbucket that runs.

It seems such a shame to bastardize a low miler. But who cares anyway, right? Cars are meant to be driven. You know a low mileage car from the right seller would be a good deal. I have so many cars and motorcycles that it is almost impossible to rack up the miles on most of them. I'm guessing thats the story on most of them.The seller owns a few cars and the TR is just a toy. I'm the type of guy who hates to do a lot of work. My big phobia is rust. I'll gladly pay a premium for a rust free car that has some powertrain issues over the rustbucket that runs.
Eric: How many low mileage turbo Buicks have you had?
I thought the same thing, that I would leave it totally stock and I did for the first 2 years of ownership. That was until I ran into faster cars at stoplights. A high 13 sec - low 14 sec car just doesn't cut it anymore for creditability and respect on the street. Look at it this way, I would rather be a member of the "bastardize a low mileage garage queen classic" than a member of the "20K mileage bone stock "I would never modify my car" "just got beat by a freaking Schwin at the last stoplight club". I started modding this car at about 13K miles or so, have never regretted it, and it actually will go around a corner rather spiritedly compared to your average bone stock slug. You only go around this circuit once, you can keep all of your stockers so they will be worth more money when you sell them or somebody inherits them, I am going to spend any and all money that I can on mine. we'll meet in H and discuss who had the right approach to this. No flaming intended, but I am sure that my approach is not for everybody. Fwiw, I would mod this thing even if was a 500 mile car. It just drives so nice compared to the original stocker.

Eric: How many low mileage turbo Buicks have you had?
I thought the same thing, that I would leave it totally stock and I did for the first 2 years of ownership. That was until I ran into faster cars at stoplights. A high 13 sec - low 14 sec car just doesn't cut it anymore for creditability and respect on the street. Look at it this way, I would rather be a member of the "bastardize a low mileage garage queen classic" than a member of the "20K mileage bone stock "I would never modify my car" "just got beat by a freaking Schwin at the last stoplight club". I started modding this car at about 13K miles or so, have never regretted it, and it actually will go around a corner rather spiritedly compared to your average bone stock slug. You only go around this circuit once, you can keep all of your stockers so they will be worth more money when you sell them or somebody inherits them, I am going to spend any and all money that I can on mine. we'll meet in H and discuss who had the right approach to this. No flaming intended, but I am sure that my approach is not for everybody. Fwiw, I would mod this thing even if was a 500 mile car. It just drives so nice compared to the original stocker.

Well said!! I just don't see buying it and saving it "for the next guy". Take the damn thing out and ENJOY it!!:biggrin: Not saying drive it everyday, but gezzz I bought it to drive and enjoy it. To each his own I guess. Just my 02.........Ken B.

after i replace all the rubber parts on my car it will be as close to a new TR that ive ever had the pleasure to own.And the good thing is my car will always be a low mileage car,even though i put 6k mile on mine this year,it still will be low mileage and rust free:biggrin: .
Im going to drive and modify mine until im satisfied.Keep in mind im not a retard,all my mods can be removed and car be returned to stock with no evidence of my fun.( I dont think anyone knows what the future holds for the three cars left like mine)
Botton line is have fun,you only live once.Thank goodness we are all different in our ideas of a perfect car/hobby/toy/racer. just my 1.5c;)

I think you missed my point,a little.:redface: Although I like to chide on those poor GNX owners and other peeps who don't drive their cars, I believe cars are on a scale based on age. They start out stock and than modded to all heck. Soon they reach a peak where they are no longer suitable either because we get bored with them or in my case they are no longer competative in whatever race class I run them in. If I hang onto something for more than 5 years or so it's because I liked them enough to hang onto them. They've reached a point of no return and chances are you couldn't buy one out from under me for any price. Personally I couldn't see myself buying the TR in question. Only because I've been there and done it with my 86 GN. If I bought that car it would only sit in the garage as I wouldn't feel the urge to mod it or as is the case has been lately, I just dont have any money to spend on it. Funny thing as just about half of the cars and bikes I've owned I've also owned more than one of them.Some just seek me out. Like the T-Type Riviera and Cosworth Vega.I also have a ton of Suzuki RE5 bikes and parts.Those are like stray cats. If you have one than sooner or later you are going to have more. The 86 GN isn't one of those cars. For me, every car has a purpose. One to drag,one to autocross. One to tow. A daily driver. I could never see owning two for the same purpose. :smile:

I probably did miss your point somewhat, Eric. My bad, oops. These things were terrible drivers out of the factory. I have had 2 extremely ? low mileage ones, both '87's, 1 limited purchased with a little over 10K on the clock, garaged queened it for about a year, then it became a daily driver. The one that I have now, with 22K on the clock, but bought with a little over 8K on it. And I am looking for another. Mine is just too nice and I have way too much $$ in it to take it anywhere that I can't keep an eye on it. No grocery shopping, Car shows & cruises & an occasional drive only. But I would never trade it for one of lesser quality or integrity.