Am I the only one who....

1970gsx

can't pour denatured out of the 1 gallon can without spilling it all over? Does anyone have a "trick" they use to prevent alky from running down the side of the can? And yes I'm using a funnel.

I use a big funnel in my driveway and pour the denatured from the can into a plastic gas container. I then mix it with water and lube and pour it from the gas can into the alcohol bottle on the car. I also used to spill it all over the car when pouring it directly from the alcohol can this seems to work a little better and at least I'm only spilling a small amount on my driveway instead of all over the engine.

Hmm, you are already using a funnel....
If the problem you are having is that the alcohol spills out before you can tip the can far enough towards the funnel, here's what I do:
I hold the can and tip it so that the hole on top of the can is at the *highest* point. Does this make sense? Instead of tipping the can so the hole is near the bottom, tip the can so the hole is near the top. This way alky won't spill out till you tip it a lot.

aahhhhh.........makes sense so it dosen't "blub" all over, just like pouring oil. Boy am I getting more stupid as I get older.

One thing I learned is don't fill it with the car hot.

Really sizzles off the turbo. :eek:

Problem is the hole in the gallon can is too far from the edge and it dribbles real badly outside the area of the funnel even.

Need one of those ricer sombrero funnels. ;)

Originally posted by 1970gsx
can't pour denatured out of the 1 gallon can without spilling it all over? Does anyone have a "trick" they use to prevent alky from running down the side of the can? And yes I'm using a funnel.
I use a 2.5qt. plastic measure bowl from Sherman-Williams Paints. Pour the Denatured into the measure bowl (has lines for ¼ ½ ¾ qt.) Alky tank is ½ gal. So ½ empty? Fill to 1qt. line. Then pour into the funnel. No more drips on car.:D But it still spills(runs down the side of the can) when pouring into the bowl.:( At lease it's on the ground and not on the car.;)

I just saved a cap from one of the old gallon cans and punched a hole in it. When I want to pour it in the funnel, I just put the cap on the new can and pour. It's a little slow, but so am I. :)

Just take a small screwdriver and punch a hole in the top of the can for a vent. Then it wont "gurgle" all over when you try to pour it out of the can. I just leave the screwdriver in the hole in the can to plug it so the alcohol doesnt evaporate out

I got one of those little plastic hand held siphons that I use when the car is hot, so I don't spill any alchy on the dp/turbo. when the car is cold, I just pour and hope for the best. :)