Am I cavitating?

sailbrd

Boosted 455 is running pretty good now but having a problem in 3rd.

The problem happens on full throttle runs only. 1st gear is great, 2nd is great, hit 3rd and spins for a second and then totally lets go like I shift into neutral. Drive it around normally and no problems. We are do a big upgrade on the trans this winter.

I wonder if it is just sucking all the fluid out of the stock pan?

It was above the mark but not much so added some more fluid yesteday. Have not leaned on it since then but drove it a lot. Trans seems to be fine just driving around, fluid is clear and not burnt smell.

More often than not cavitation will be there in first gear under hard accelleration.The pump cant suck the pan dry unless it is low,not in your case based on your info .Looks like you are having a direct clutch problem.

More often than not cavitation will be there in first gear under hard accelleration.The pump cant suck the pan dry unless it is low,not in your case based on your info .Looks like you are having a direct clutch problem.

Thanks Chris,
I just got in touch with my tranny builder and we will be buying more heavy duty parts from you this winter. He told me that he built a 400 HP trans and it really does not like the 600+ HP motor that much. Can't complain I put 10,000 hard miles on this trans with the 500 ft # NA motor. Boost on a 462 CI motor changes a lot of stuff.

Tell your builder I will work with him if need be to get it to hold the extra power.10.000 hard miles is alot more than what you would get with a stock trans.Keep up the good work.

Thanks again Chris
I will let him know, for all I know he may already be using your stuff.

I will be able to finish out cruising the rest of the year as the transmission is fine except for all out blast, so no racing for a while.