Aluminum Valve Cover Upgrade?

Slomo

I want to replace my stock pressed steel valve covers with some aluminum ones on my 1978 Le Sabre Sports Coupe. I may have access to some GN aluminum covers, but I am concerned about clearance issues. There is only 3/8 of an inch between the top of the stock covers and the turbo flange. Has anyone put aluminum valve covers on this motor?

Thanks in advance for any info.

They will clear on both sides. I have one on the passenger side of my '83 carb/turbo from a 84/85 motor. It has the angled backside to clear the HVAC box and no holes.

Hard part is finding a set that fits and lets you get oil into the motor. The fill holes are in the wrong spots.

Might want to search the before black section. This has been discussed before.

Last edited:
They will clear on both sides. I have one on the passenger side of my '83 carb/turbo from a 84/85 motor. It has the angled backside to clear the HVAC box and no holes.

Hard part is finding a set that fits and lets you get oil into the motor. The fill holes are in the wrong spots.

Might want to search the before black section. This has been discussed before.

Thanks b4black for your reply. I did a search and found your previous thread on valve covers. I had considered the oil problem, but not the HVAC problem. It seems this is more complex than it appears at first sight. At least I now I know what I need .

Thanks again.

If you get something to work, let us know. Many people have tried, but I don't think anyone has a good solution yet. :)