Aluminum core support, What cars had them?

jdpolzin

What cars came with an aluminum core support? I am going to do some treasure hunting and this is on the list! Thanks guys! ------Jeremy

I believe they were in 78-80 g bodys, but I know they don't all have them because I have been looking myself & found several 79/80's with steel supports. I do know that they have an A stamped in them on the passenger side. Hope this helps.

The aluminum cores can only be found on 78-80 Buick,Olds and Pontiac G-bodies. NO CHEVYS. Not all of them have the raised "A". Also look at the spot welds. The aluminum has a TIG style puddle weld. The steel has a normal looking spotweld.

I need one for my car and have been thinking about the aluminum, can this be used from any car or is it Regal exclusive?

The great majority seem to be installed on 78-80 Grand Prixs. Got one from a 78 Lemans, also. Got a couple from Regals. I've handled at least a dozen but I've never seen one on a Cutlass. Yes, you can paint the aluminum with no problem and they all fit our Regals.

Seeing as the Core support on the 81-87 2dr Regal differs from the other G body cars, how does this affect the swap?

It doesn't. The difference is on the upper part of the support. Everything bolts up to the bottom half like its supposed to. You may have to do something with the battery hold down depending on what version you get. Its easy to rectify anyway.

Isnt the height different?.... I know I sold a Core support for a MCSS to a guy with a GN and he said it didnt fit... like 1/2" difference?

I dont think a Monte Core support will work. I beleive the Cutlass, Grand prix, Regal ones are what you want. Correct me if I'm wrong?

I dont think a Monte Core support will work. I beleive the Cutlass, Grand prix, Regal ones are what you want. Correct me if I'm wrong?

AFAIK, the only unique core support is the 2 DR regal.

We discussed this here already. I'm just trying to determine just how much effort is involved in doing the swap. There are enough shims between the core support an the the frame to make it doable.

People discuss the aluminum support frequently, but I have never seen someone do a side-by-side comparison on the dimensions.

I've got the AL support on my GN. Its a plug and play more or less. Everything bolts up the way its supposed to. The only problem might be the battery hold down. I've seen 3 different versions of this support and they all have something a little different which is why you may or may not need to do anything. I hate to brag but I'm probally the first guy to ever do this swap. I did the GN back around 90 and before that I did my 79 ElCamino in 81. It will work on a Chevy. Just not the 81-88 MC. I'll try and post a pic later.

stop looking for them, its a waste of your time, i'll find them.:D who cares how the battery is held down, I would just put a bunjee cord on mine if I had to:D good luck guys, I continue my quest to find a few my self, but have seen one. Looks the same to me, and if it came out of a car with the same engine bay as yours, IT FITS. :wink:

who cares how the battery is held down

The tech guy at the track does.:rolleyes:

Someday they are going to make a sfi legal bundgee cord. Wow. Just think of the weight you could remove with a set of those.

If the battery hold down is an issue than you can always use the tray from the donor car. I'm not sure if it will fit on our style of wheelhouse but it will bolt in. You might have to do some trimming on the plastic.

The tech guy at the track does.:rolleyes:

Someday they are going to make a sfi legal bundgee cord. Wow. Just think of the weight you could remove with a set of those.

If the battery hold down is an issue than you can always use the tray from the donor car. I'm not sure if it will fit on our style of wheelhouse but it will bolt in. You might have to do some trimming on the plastic.

:biggrin: SFI APPROOVED BUNDGEE thats good. so thats how its spelled huh:eek:

I don't want to get too far of topic..... but exactly how much weight can be saved with the swap?

IIRC its about 12 pounds. If you do the 3rd gen Camarobird radiator at the same time thats about 25 pounds. Thats about the same or better than moving the battery to the trunk if I follow the trunk battery thread correctly.

Just an FYI, the aluminum support can be swapped into a Monte just fine :). I swapped on into my SS, from a 78'-80' Regal. All g-body supports are the same.

Also I'm almost positive no Olds had them, only the Buicks and Pontiacs. I can't imagine there are too many of these things left, at least its hard to find the early g-bodies here in the rust belt unless its in great shape still being driven ;) .