Almost a Turbo Buick owner:)

bigballsbilly

I am looking at this Turbo Regal tomorrow. This seems like the most active forum for these vehicles with very knoweldgeable members, so I hope to get to know you guys better real soon.

I have a question however, I am looking at an 87 Turbo Regal tomorrow. My understanding is that the T Type was dropped for 87 but a Regal Turbo should have a T on the fender. However the pictures of this car have a Grand National Emblem on the fenders. The car is painted blue and is supposedly the original paint, so it can't be a Grand National, is that correct? Also the car has a spoiler which I think only the GN's came with. So I asj you koweledgeable Turbo Buick guys, can you tell exactly what it is I am looking at tomorrow? Any thoughts on this car in general.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4368829400.html

I would be cautious of that car. It appears to be a repainted 87 Turbo T that someone hacked together with certain GN appearance bits (interior, ill-fitting carpet, two badges, looks to be an untainted wing). Then they bought some wheels and painted the rotors red (to each his own).

The engine, seems to at least look stock with the exception of a blow off valve.

Based on those pictures and the useless description, unlisted mileage, a third party seller, and the fact that it's clear it wasn't owned by someone who truly cared for it or really knew what they were doing, I would pass on it.

If you REALLY want to take a look, I'd get any maintenance information on it, etc., and do not bring a check/cash. Then go look at a 13,000 one that has been cared for better and compare.

I would be cautious of that car. It appears to be a repainted 87 Turbo T that someone hacked together with certain GN appearance bits (interior, ill-fitting carpet, two badges, looks to be an untainted wing). Then they bought some wheels and painted the rotors red (to each his own).

The engine, seems to at least look stock with the exception of a blow off valve.

Based on those pictures and the useless description, unlisted mileage, a third party seller, and the fact that it's clear it wasn't owned by someone who truly cared for it or really knew what they were doing, I would pass on it.

If you REALLY want to take a look, I'd get any maintenance information on it, etc., and do not bring a check/cash. Then go look at a 13,000 one that has been cared for better and compare.
X2!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

yeah, check the VIN, make sure the Trunk Label in intact….. IF the trunk label is gone or doesn't match i would walk away [briskly]….. but for that asking price i would buy one from a KNOWN board member…. and save a lot of time and trouble [hopefully]

aaron

What Aaron said^^^^^^^^^^
[It looks to be parked in a clean up shop leanto...A "stealership"??]
A northern t top car, is a prime "hideout" for rust under the tops, in the a pillars, floors, etc.
@ $13K, there are MANY better to choose from.
Like the other posts... just my $.02.

You could easilly get a real nice Grand National for that kind of money.

Thanks for the input guys. The reason I zeroed in on this car is that he is willing to trade for my Nova. I appreciate the pointers and what to look for. And now that I checked the For Sale area I can see what can be had for the 10-13 range. I'm going to look at it anyway because it's not far away and I'll post here on what I do.

By the way, are the turbo markings supposed to be on the buckets seats on a non GN?

-snip-

By the way, are the turbo markings supposed to be on the buckets seats on a non GN?

That interior is UNIQUE to Grand Nationals….. another RED flag… either he switched interiors, re-painted but then added Turbo-T emblems… or something else….dunno.
but for 13Gs i would want a lot of documentation with all the mismatch stuff. We all could be wrong but better safe than sorry.
hth
aaron

That car is an 87 Turbo T (the T-type was called a Turbo T in 87) with a grand national interior.

Turbo T's had all different kinds of interiors

And the fact he is "selling for my dad" but is willing to trade for a car is also strange....

If your goal is to dump the Nova on someone and get your foot in the door with a turbo buick, ok, just keep in mind that one may have some serious problems. It may not, and it could have been owned by someone who doesn't know how to cosmetically design a car. Just be weary. And if you test drive it and there's no Scanmaster in it, REALLY BE WEARY!

Good luck.

I went and looked at it. I did not get it. It had many problems. Transmission slipping, A/C inop, holes in the seats and carpet, missing interior parts, inaccurate tachometer and a viscous brake pulsation. I'm glad I went and checked it out to satisfy my curiosity, but you guys were right on the money.

For the record though, I am not looking to "dump the Nova on someone". Whoever gets it is going to get an awesome muscle car that was built "right". I think I'll just sell it out right, so that I can shop properly for a GN or Turbo Regal and get one that makes sense.

But please expand on this statement ... "And if you test drive it and there's no Scanmaster in it, REALLY BE WEARY!"

You guys are truly knoweledgeable, and this newbie to Buicks appreciates your help.

Last edited:
Scanmaster is a scantool that lets you know whats going on.with the car. Usual first mod for these cars. For the most part its understood that if theres no.scanmaster then the current owner doesnt know or really doesnt care for the car. Unless its a low mile gn gnx. When I was looking I.purchased a scanmaster a head of time so I know what was going on.w car and hooked it up and test drove it

These cars can be very rewarding, or they can be your worst nightmare. Buy the cleanest one you can afford and you wont regret it. Fixer-uppers will nickle and dime you to death. With this site, There's no excuse for not doing your homework. Let us know if you have any questions.

Welcome to the site.:)

Mike Barnard

Glad to see you didn't get it. Smart move coming here first. These guys will steer you in the right direction. And that car had scary written all over it. It would be a good idea, as one of the other members stated, to keep an eye out here for a clean car. Guys who love their cars take a lot better care of them.

Thanks for the welcome and the information guys. The scan master seems like a great tool. I have 9 gauges in my Nova because I like to know whats going on mechanically, and this Scanmaster seems like a convenient way to look at what's going on when you want to know it. This board seems very friendly and informational. I am scouring it for as much information as I can.

Thanks for the input guys. The reason I zeroed in on this car is that he is willing to trade for my Nova. I appreciate the pointers and what to look for. And now that I checked the For Sale area I can see what can be had for the 10-13 range. I'm going to look at it anyway because it's not far away and I'll post here on what I do.

Nova? What Nova? Tell me more!!!!!!!

I'll never ever forget my 69 396 SS!!! I still to this day regret getting rid of it!!

I WANT PICTURES OF YOUR NOVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!