All Impact Racing Safety Products to Be Decertified by SFI

HI85WH1

Shhh... I've got a Secret
Bang Shift : : Epic Fail: All Impact Racing Safety Products to Be Decertified by SFI
SFI Web Site

Epic Fail: All Impact Racing Safety Products to Be Decertified by SFI

By Brian Lohnes Posted 03/26/10

In a stunning announcement, SFI (Safety Foundation Inc.) announced that all products made by Bill Simpson's Impact Racing, will be decertified by the organization as of April 27,2010. The announcement alleges that Impact was producing fake SFI tags and attaching them to their products. This move effects thousands, and perhaps tens of thousands of people who have bought Impact helmets, gloves, fire suits, boots, etc.

Quoting directly from the SFI announcement, "Evidence obtained by SFI shows that over a period of years Impact Racing has engaged in the production and use of counterfeit SFI conformance labels and patches, and affixed them to Impact products for use in motorsports. Under the Contracts of Participation between SFI and Impact, SFI conformance labels and patches may only be obtained from SFI and no other source. Evidence shows that Impact had counterfeit SFI labels and patches made in Asia and then affixed them to Impact products it distributed to members of the racing community."

These allegations and the announcement that all of the products will no longer be recognized as valid SFI approved safety gear amount to a massive black eye for Bill Simpson. Impact has had some of their equipment recalled in the past but the fact that everything they have produced for years is being questioned is almost beyond belief.

If you are using Impact Racing equipment, you'll need to replace it by the April deadline or risk not being able to race at tracks who perform detailed and proper tech inspections.

If it's true, that he knowingly produced sub standard parts, it is very sad to hear. After rereading your post, it appears that the SFI is only upset that he didn't buy THEIR tags. He didn't grease the palms of the powers that be. I guess the SFI tells mfg. that if you pay us $$$ we will certify your prouduct and in return, we will deem your products unsafe to use after 2 years so racers will have to purchase new items from you. Sounds like a win-win situation for everyone except the racers. Don't get me wrong, I am all about safety, but do seat belts really go bad on day 731? BTW, that's 2yrs+1 day.

Either way, this is truly sad.

There is rebuttal to that!

seems SFI wants you to purchase "their" label,
Impact is Bill Simpson, been around Long long time,
is the stuff substandard? I dunno, but I doubt it!
he's been producing good stuff for yrs, and continues to
produce good stuff, I think its just SFI didn't get there
$$ and uses this as a way to collect $$ they feel due!
read there web site......

http://www.impactraceproducts.com/

I go thru this same crap at work. There's a certification that everyone wants you to have and to maintain that cert. you have to re-test every 3 years or take their courses for continuing education credits PLUS. Either way they get your renewal $$ every year plus the educational $$. What a scam !!!

I go thru this same crap at work. There's a certification that everyone wants you to have and to maintain that cert. you have to re-test every 3 years or take their courses for continuing education credits PLUS. Either way they get your renewal $$ every year plus the educational $$. What a scam !!!

I'm just quoting the news... seems Simpson is going head to head with them legally to challenge the "labelling... I wonder how much the SFI "approved" tag costs over the tag made in taiwan?:wink:

I thought .......

in the USA a "monopoly" was illegal, are there other sanctioning boards?
SFI may set the specs, but to be the only player who can issue tags?
hmmmm,

Dont see all those fuel drivers that we see on ESPN2 taking off their Impact gear.

What a joke. I'm glad I don't own any of this stuff. I do feel the owners should be able to send the clothing to SFI and have a REAL cert sticker put on in this case. The consumer isn't the one at fault here, but they are the ones paying.