alky or not

three turbos

NUNLKME
ok im thinking of an alky set-up lets here some of the pros & cons to help me decide, keep in mind im at 107,000 miles.Eric

Great bang for the buck.

The only downside is frying the trans once you turn up the boost.

anythying i should be aware of? I ran straight alky in my 10 sec nova however it was not a progressive system it 100% so im a little familiar with it!

alky

well obviousley i want more power,no im not going to the strip,just a cruiser,but i would like to just shredd the tires by command of my foot without having the knock and to spend 6.00 a gal. for race fuel to prevent this only periodically seems foolish when the alky is progressive so i only use it when needed, at least this is my thought anyway.My car runs very well now.

Then you seem to be the perfect canidate for a kit from Razor, wideband and an Alky Chip.

Its an oxygen sensor that reads the air fuel mixture in the exhaust. It displays in a simple digit scale that some chips and data logger can use to help tune your car. In our cars you see them placed in the downpipe.(Always After the Turbo) It helps in tuning the car to keep it from being too lean, which can lead to detonation, blown head gaskets, and other damaged engine parts. It also helps avoid being too rich which can hinder making power and cause problems too. I think its a good $200 tuning tool. The Scanmaster will display the milivolt readings from the stock 02 sensor you see located in the exhaust manifold under the turbo. It is ok to use for basic tuning. Once you start exceeding 17-18 psi you need to know that things are operating correctly because you increase the risk of breaking parts and shorten the window of error so to speak.

I post these links a lot. It contains a bunch of good info and explainations about the Turbo Regals. It will help you a bunch and is like a guide to these cars. The alky tuning one above is also very useful. If you want to save yourself some cash, headaches and time read them when you have spare time.:cool: Or... you can "experiment" with the car, break it and come back on here and ask why it broke and how much will it cost to fix.:p

Vortex Buicks
Powerlogger readings explained by Eric Marshall - Full Throttle Speed Tech Support

alky

Well you make good sense when you talk, obviousely you have been doing this for a while ,thanks for the great sites and info. to look at im definitley going to read up!

No problem, I have had three TRs. 1 87(should of kept it), my current 85 87 drivetrain. And a converted V6 regal was my first. Glad I could help. Most of the local guys here are very helpful! Keep us posted on the changes progress.

Well here is what i got so far I turned the waste gate out 2 full turns to reduce the boost, took for a ride and my boost is now at 17-17.5 max and the has knock been almost completely been removed showing 0.0 and hit maybe 2.o once or twice under acceleration so im definitley going the right way but im still 1-1.5 lbs. over what the chips max boost is supposed to be. I put one more turn on it tonight hopeing that will put me right in the sweet spot,also would like to point out before my run i topped off with fuel and noticed the pump reads 92 not 93 like i had thought so i am going to look at another station near by for 93 so anway were making progress will let you know results after tomorrows run.:smile:

my opinion about alky is this. With my setup (tt 5.6 chip) I tune for WOT top of 3rd gear. I can add fuel during WOT but not part throttle. So when I am part throttle, say about 3/4 throttle, I am at about 15lbs of boost and detecting KR. If I had alky injection it wouldn't be knocking at part throttle. So I say alky is a good thing. JMO.

im all for the alky kit...u can make way more power and still tune it safer then just 93...maybe i missed it but how much boost r u running and what turbo? bc a stocker wont be any good past 22lbs regardless of alky or not

Alky

Im running 16-16.5lbs of boost on a ta49 turbo,3"dp,2.5 hooker exhaust no cats,42.5 injectors,hot wire kit,5.6 TTchip,2800 stahl with red line clutches just redone last season any more boost and i start seeing kr.

Im running 16-16.5lbs of boost on a ta49 turbo,3"dp,2.5 hooker exhaust no cats,42.5 injectors,hot wire kit,5.6 TTchip,2800 stahl with red line clutches just redone last season any more boost and i start seeing kr.

You are the typical candidate for a system. As soon as the kit goes on.. the knock wont be a problem.

wait till u see what 25psi feels like :biggrin::biggrin: makes sure u have eric reburn ur chip for the extra boost