Alky as fuel for nitrous

TARZAN

Half ass, on kill
I'm working with one of the nitrous vendors I sell nitrous for, gonna see how this goes. I hope to have my new engine out of the machine shop in the next month or so, and I'm gonna try setting up the kit to use alky as the fuel (via a dedicated fuel cell) as opposed to the race gas I use today. I wanted to try something interesting to keep me excited....and this is what I came up with. I'll update as I go.

any thoughts?

-Will

Thats how I did it. I tuned the car on pump gas + meth first then used the nitroous. What I did was T off the alky line through a solenoid to feed the wet portion.. then trimmed my jetting based on the airfuel numbers with nitrous. So if the car needed to be richer. i'd bump up the jet size.

HTH

I'm working with one of the nitrous vendors I sell nitrous for, gonna see how this goes. I hope to have my new engine out of the machine shop in the next month or so, and I'm gonna try setting up the kit to use alky as the fuel (via a dedicated fuel cell) as opposed to the race gas I use today. I wanted to try something interesting to keep me excited....and this is what I came up with. I'll update as I go.

any thoughts?

-Will

It has a very broad tuning range. If you get the jetting right, bottle pressure becomes unimportant,.. unless you're running low, of course. The horsepower you will get with the book hp jetting value will be much less than you would have with gasoline. In other words, if you're looking for a 100 shot of nitrous, you need to jet the thing as though you're going for 200.
Running that large of a shot will require a lot of fuel, making port injection much safer than a single nozzle setup.
The ratio you should shoot for is 1.9:1. Nitrous to methanol.

The nitrous system would be much more efficient using gasoline. The only reason I use methanol with the nitrous system is because my main fuel is also methanol. I just tap into my main fuel cell, and I don't have to run a separate nitrous fuel cell.

Part of the reason I wanna do it is to try something different, I've had nitrous/race gas multiple times.....

My vendor suggested jetting 3:1 A:N, is this too rich? I have a FAST wideband that I can swap between cars, so I'll fine tune it as I go.

Its gonna be a bit more expensive to build a dedicated 1 gallon setup for alky than gas, but I think it'll be fun.

-Will

I'll be the last person to argue with you about trying something out of the ordinary. Go for it.

I'm using 1.9:1, n2o to methanol. It has proven to be on the lean side and I add the additional fuel needed via the main fuel table. I wouldn't say I'm having to add a whole bunch of additional fuel. Certainly not enough to make the ratio 1:3, n2o to methanol. Are you sure he wasn't suggesting 3:1, n2o to methanol? That would sound more like it.

I will verify it and get back to you. Based off the fact that (volume for volume) it takes more methanol than gasoline to run an engine, I was thinking it would need to be jetteed more generous than typical fuel charts.....looks like I need to do some reading

-Will