alcohol and hot air

6PacktoGo

Moderator / Curmudgeon
Anyone have experience with alcohol on hot air cars, especially with aftermarket intakes? I'm concerned with air and alcohol distribution. Not to mention how much alcohol it takes and whose kit works best on hot air cars.

alky!!!!

This is what I have done, with some gains. Port matched intake with one Aquamist (1mm) nozzle in the thick part of the intake just below where the larger o-ring sits. Shooting straight in with the end of nozzle just recessed back from flush. This comes on at 2-3 psi. 2 more 1mm nozzles, one on each side, a little farther down stream. There is somewhat of a flat spot on each side of intake just before # 5 and #6 runners. I have 1 nozzle each spraying down into each individual manifold halve, coming on at 12 -14 psi. ( adj. hobbs switchs) This 2 stage did away with my stumble. I was trying to bring all 3 on with 1 solenoid and 1 switch. Spraying at 80-90 PSI, this system will use 6.5 ounces of methanol per low 11 sec. run. My first stage will come on any time the set boost is satisfied. Second stage is wired throught the brake switch, so it must see boost, plus no brake. Therefore it won/t come on during boost up on starting line.
Early last year, I tried one of Jays Turbomotion intakes ( cut open and made into an open plentum like the 87 units). I had detonation that I could not get rid of no matter how much fuel or octane I added. Shattered # 1 piston. I checked Inj, wiring harness, changed ecm and the intake was said to have better distribution than stock. Could not find anything wrong. I went back to my 85 intake. I still do not know, for sure, what caused the detonation. That/s all I know about that.
Presently I am playing with adding another nozzle preturbo. John Craig feels it will be ok provided the fuel is not left wet in the turbo and is used in a mist, not spray. The problem I/m having is it drops my boost 2 psi. Heavier air slows the compressor wheel.

Thanks Lee. I doubt my current car will be as fast as yours, it's so original I hate to cut it for a roll bar.

I was afraid there might be some sort of distribution problem with gutted intakes. Looks like I've got some serious flowbench work to do. Mine differs substantially from the TurboMotion/S&S manifold, whether or not it's better remains to be seen. I'm going to run straight methanol (probably the VP stuff, I've got access to it). The next engine will be a TRW style 3.8 with some killer heads and a Reed hydraulic cam.