Air conditioning conversion r12 to r134 question

Notplayn

My GN still has r12 in it but the compressor has started cycling more so its time for a recharge. I'm wanting to update to r134 for but I'm wondering what needs to be done. I've read from one extreme to another, replacing everything to going to advance and getting a "kit". I'd like to hear from people that have had it done and what they had replaced, especially from the do it yourselfers. Thanks

I would try to find some NOS R12 since you're still set up for it. 134 isn't an 'update', it's a less efficient freon.

If you really want to convert and not be second guessing about if everything was done right, just do what I did and take it to a "Pro". Sure you pay more but you get it done right the first time around. Mines is ice cold and was done 3 years ago.

Did mine a couple years back.
Not hard. Same orifice new dryer, compressor , and a can of flush. Oil and after vacuuming the system a couple hours put in the oil and r134.
Works good I never turn it up to max today driving to power tour in Dallas tx

You could also use ES-12a, which is a drop in for R12. Although it does use less. But is also more efficient and doesn't require orifice or oil changes. I used it on another car end of last Summer, and it cools big time.

No license required to purchase it, and IIRC, is about 1/3rd the cost of R134.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Before you use the ES-12a here's a little info you might want to read.;)

HC-12a, also called ES-12a, OZ-12a, and Hydrocarbon Blend B, is a "drop-in" replacement refrigerant for Freon-12 and to a lesser extent, R-134a. HC-12a is a mixture of hydrocarbons, specifically propane (R-290) and isobutane (R-600a), and is therefore considered nearly non-ozone-depleting when compared to dichlorodifluoromethane (R-12, Freon-12) or 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane (R-134a). The mixture can be used in refrigeration systems designed for R-12. HC-12a provides better cooling than an R-12 system retrofitted to R-134a, with much greater energy efficiency as well. Unlike R-134a, HC-12a is completely compatible with the hoses and oils used in R-12 systems, making the conversion much easier to accomplish. HC-12a is also patent-free due to its non-synthetic nature.

Because of its flammability, it is illegal to replace R-12 with HC-12a in the United States. It is not illegal to purchase HC-12a, or to use it in refrigeration systems that were not originally charged with R-12, except for in certain states that prohibit the use of flammable refrigerants in automobiles.

Some advantages to using the HC-12a mixture over retrofitting to R-134a are cost and labor. Since HC-12a is a "drop-in" replacement, no seals need to be replaced and minimal effort has to be put in to changing the refrigeration system around. Disadvantages to using the HC-12a mixture in R-12 systems is that it is potentially dangerous and is illegal in the United States. The refrigerant used is propane and other hydrocarbons which are flammable. However, it should also be noted that R-134a (and other refrigerants) are just as flammable when mixed with refrigerant oil, yet the quantity of refrigerant and oil in a typical system is so low that the danger in any case is minimal.

Not Illegal in Canada, they are giving the stuff away almost at all the local parts stores, It cools really well I went from 58 vent temps with r-134a to about 45 degrees on a 100 degree day ,,,,Its about 10-15 % more efficient than r-12. You do realize that r-134a is bad for you also.

genuine R12 is really easy to find locally on craigslist. Lots of guys that kept it and never used it and now there's very little demand.

I am coverting my cars back. From 134a back to R12.

Search for it occasionally, you can get it sometimes for less than 10 bucks per can.

i converted to 134
replaced acumulator and orific tube and the seals on compressor
pulled vacuum then loaded up ester oil then 134
been a couple of weeks and ac is ice cold even on 95 degree day
i dif not use max as normal setting was uncomfortably cold.
i am very pleased
still running original compresor