advice

BlackOut89

Ok everyone this is kind of a stupid question but i guess i am looking for some sense of direction on what i should do with my car next.

1986 Regal T-Type
-TA49 turbo
-42lb lucas injectors
-Walbro 340 fuel pump with hot wire kit
-3in TH down pipe
-2 and half inch hooker exhaust
-Turbotweak chip

Other than these mods everything is stock. My goal is to run in the high 11s, although i have yet to take my car to the track i do not know what it currently runs. Any suggestions on what i should do next? Thanks, Steve

If you bought the car that way,, i'd say powerlogger,, something that you can learn to tune first at low boost and move your way up... tune, and more tuneing..

Do you have a scanmaster yet? If not, you need to grab one. That and alky. With a good tune, a ta49 and alky, you should be able to crack the 11's.

When i bought the car it had the TA49 turbo, Downpipe, injectors, and exhaust. I put the pump and hot wire kit on and changed the chip from a red armstrong to the turbo tweak.

I do have a scanmaster although i am still not 100% on how to read whats good and whats bad. Any help with that?

I was thinking alky as well but my car does have 125xxx miles on it and i feel the motor is not so healthy..then again i am one of those people who freaks out over every little noise haha. Do you think i should build the motor up a little before putting alky on?

Check out vortexbuicks-etc.com. There's a section using scan tools that helped me out.

Other than that, what makes you think the car is not so healthy? You would be surprised how long these things can go without opening the long block. It might not be totally necessary right now, but I have billet caps and arp bolts. I know it makes me feel a little better to at least have that done. You should post you scanmaster numbers so we can see where you're at. Also, it helps to put your mods in your sig so people can see what you're working with. HTH.

I think you should go over razor's sticky on alky, resolve any issues you may have, and put alky on it. If it runs well on 15lbs of boost now, should run good on 22 with alky.

Get a boost gauge. Make sure it's running right. Then add alky with matching chip for your combo.

Make sure the engine is healthy, you won't run 11's long if there is something wrong in the first place.

thanks boost, ill go warm her up and post the numbers.

Yea i am still runnin stock intake. As far as why i think my motor isnt healthy, im not sure likei said i take every little noise as a bad thing. One noise i am for sure of is a cracked flex plate, that i am checking up on this week.

i have a boost and knock gauge and i am running 15lb just fine, but i did have a scare after i changed and gaped my plugs, i was gettin on it and the back passanger side plug shot out of the cylinder head. everything was fine just scared the **** out of me. Guess i didnt get it tight enough but its good now

May be a easy mod, getting a larger intake, cone exhaust.

Also, for 11's a stock intercooler may be another restriction for you.

Alky is quick for us to say because it's best bang for the buck mod. You're doing it right and researching... You can go a million different ways to get to the 11's, but ultimately it's a lot of work!

Look at the tech articles on gnttype.org too.

Ok so i got the numbers off my scan master just on a warm idle

AF- 04
L8- 30
BAT- 13.0
INT- 128
BL- 127
Clt- 157
Ats- 69
RPM- 800-850
TPS- .46
IAC- 18
cc- 231

let me know what ya think.

also yea i was considering doing a ported intake

Sorry, I meant your MAF piping and MAF and filter... sorry, didn't mean porting the manifold. That's down the line if you get into the engine! Of course if you rebuilt that stock block I wouldn't talk you out of ported intake and heads ;)

I have upgraded the intake pipe but the MAF and filter are stock. I do have a lt1 MAF but i have not put it on because i need a translator plus

I'm not a fan of the LT1 intake, the LS engine's are 3.5" and actually flow better. If you compare an LT1 MAF sensor and a stock one from the buick, they are pretty much the same size inside.

You'll find the big restrictions as they come. Maybe something as simple as a K&N big 9" cone filter will wake that thing up a bit! I'm a fan of the wide-mouth cold air kit from tr custom parts. NEW STYLE Big Mouth Cold Air Kits

Just a thought.

as for your readings, this is a great thread and at first he kinda explains the scanmaster readings

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/alcohol-nitrous-propane-tech/147348-tuning-alkycontrol-kit.html

Your cc reading should change as you drive, I believe they start low cycle up high, then restart. That's how a well working O2 should read. Most like tps down around .42-.44 but I never adjust it at .46. Some may disagree.

What to really watch for with the scanmaster is as you push the car harder and harder and boost raises, do you have knock on the right and are your O2's in upper 700's to 800's. High 800's is a little rich and depending on comfort level, 750's is on the lean side. They are nowhere near as accurate as a wideband O2 setup, but gives you an idea if you're safe. If you hit the gas hard enough it records the lowest O2 readings and most knock, so after a WOT pull you can push the recall button and see those numbers.

Hope this is all helping. Go out and get used to the tools you have! Have fun doing it!

Sticky tires and good race gas or alky could net 11's. My suggestion is to not change a thing - just drive and enjoy the car as is. Find someone in the area that is familiar with TR's and see if he'll go to the track with you and help you tune the car.

If you are new to the car, read everything you can on this site and also here: Turbo Regal Web Site