Advice needed on wastegate actuators, boost controllers and my boost issues....

It's been an extremely busy summer. I've finally had some time to spend messing with my 87 GN. Car has a TA49 with a 3" down pipe (unsure of manufacturer). I've tried a few different setups for boost control.

1. Stock set up with new solenoid - worked fine at ~16 psi, never tried for much more boost with this set up.

2. Removed stock "Y" and solenoid, added manual controller - ball and spring type. I've tried many configurations of wastegate rod tension and controller position. This set up worked well up to ~19 psi, but never had good control beyond 19. Any further adjustment of the controller would only increase the boost spike - I stopped when the spike reached 24 psi. No matter what the spike, it would always settle around 19-20 psi.

3. Reinstalled factory "Y" (correctly) with a bleeder valve rather than the stock solenoid. At first attempt spike was helacious. Tried reaming out the orifice in the "Y", in increments. Spike improved, stopped with a restrictor diameter of 0.0625". Performance was basically the same as with the ball and spring type controller above.

4. Removed hose from bleeder and plugged it. "Y" still in place with enlarged orifice. Actuator rod screwed in such that I had to pull the rod approx. the diameter of the pin on the arm for the puck. This yielded steady boost at ~13 psi.

I've noticed tonight that the rubber diaphragm of the actuator looks quite deteriorated around the rod. I'm not sure if this is the stock actuator or not, car and motor have 120,000 miles. I'm thinking the next step is to replace the actuator with a new one. I have not yet ported the wastegate hole in the turbo, that would probably be my last resort.

Finally, my questions: Which actuator (stock style or heavy duty) to use with a manual boost controller? I'd like to run ~24 steady, spike and creep free psi of boost. Where to buy such an actuator? Any other thoughts on components to check, tests to run, etc. to resolve my boost issues?

OK, in step #4 above I had my turbo setup "tuner style", but with the Y restrictor still in place with the port for the bleeder blocked of. With tension on the rod only created 13 psi.

I have since removed the Y and ran a hose straight from the compressor to the actuator. I screwed the actuator rod in 4X from it's previous position, this required me to pull the rod ~5/8" to seat onto the pin. Boost is now at 14 psi with no spike. Safe to say that my actuator is blown out and limiting the amount of boost I can run?