Adjusting Harland Sharpes ?

kraus

Well some of you know I was having a weird knock noise.Well i ordered new Harland sharpes 1.55's to replace the stockers on my car.I am getting ready to install them did the grinding of the pedestal no big deal.Grab the directions and it says must have 2-3 threads showing out of bottom of rocker.I did not see this till after I installed them and started the car.I have 206/210 cam with roller lifters and the push rods I believe are 8.225's I think.If i adjust this to 2-3 threads showing it is going to give the push rod more preload then needed.Am i correct or not....
Reason I ask this is when i adjusted all the valves I tdc then adjust intakes and exhaust and cylinders that I could then rotated motor one full turn,and adjust intakes and exhaust on other cylinders. Now buy adding this 2-3 threads showing deal I will be forcing the lifter down more and causing more preload...or am i thinking to much into this...

I had to get 8.125 pushrods for mine to line up the oil hole properly on the Harland Sharps.

Usually the standard pushrod length for a roller cam is 8.2" However, it seems that the Harland Sharp rockers have a slightly different geometry. I also found that using 8.2's were too long, and did not allow the 2-3 threads of adjuster to be seen. (there would have been more than a full turn and a half of preload, almost enough to actually open the valve, not good) I ended up having to order 8.1x rods, but i don't remeber the exact size. The best thing would be to borrow a pushrod length checking tool, or buy one. That eliminates some expensive guesswork.

I agree. The Buick V6 sounds like a sewing machine when you turn it over and all the valves are open lol. 0 compression is cool!

Comp Cams pushrod checker $15
Proper length custom pushrods $100
Nice sounding engine with good oil flow Priceless!!

Do it this way & it will be done right! Never have to worry about it.
Good Luck & Have Fun!! Easy Job for ya!

I just ran into the same scenario building my engine. I got the cam kit from full throttle. 210-215 with the 8.225 pushrods. I used a adjustable pushrod to check for the proper length. Way off!:mad:

I adjusted the Harland sharp rockers to specs. with the proper threads showing and then adjusted the pushrod to zero lash. It come out to be 8.125 then I added .020 thousandths for lifter preload. 8.145 is the right pushrod for my engine. although every engine will be different if the heads have been milled, deck, etc.

I called my machine shop and he said comp listed a pushrod at 8.150 so I bought those. Only .005 difference isn't gonna hurt anything.

I just ran into the same scenario building my engine. I got the cam kit from full throttle. 210-215 with the 8.225 pushrods. I used a adjustable pushrod to check for the proper length. Way off!:mad:

I adjusted the Harland sharp rockers to specs. with the proper threads showing and then adjusted the pushrod to zero lash. It come out to be 8.125 then I added .020 thousandths for lifter preload. 8.145 is the right pushrod for my engine. although every engine will be different if the heads have been milled, deck, etc.

I called my machine shop and he said comp listed a pushrod at 8.150 so I bought those. Only .005 difference isn't gonna hurt anything.

couldnt you just go with the 8.125 and use the adjustment of the rocker to take up the .020? what ratio are you using?

1.55 ratio rockers. I guess you could use the 8.125 length pushrods. I adjusted my rockers so there was .120 thousandths of threads showing on the bottom. Roughly 1/8 inch. I did it this way so I know my pushrods are exactly the right length.

If I remember the instructions said to have .100-.150 of threads showing on the bottom of the rocker for proper oiling. So I guess you could use that to adjust.

I guess im a perfectionist when it comes to things like this though.

found the noise it is coming from oil filter area so I am asuming it is the new mellings pump,i will be pulling apart today and see what i find...

1.55 ratio rockers. I guess you could use the 8.125 length pushrods. I adjusted my rockers so there was .120 thousandths of threads showing on the bottom. Roughly 1/8 inch. I did it this way so I know my pushrods are exactly the right length.

If I remember the instructions said to have .100-.150 of threads showing on the bottom of the rocker for proper oiling. So I guess you could use that to adjust.

I guess im a perfectionist when it comes to things like this though.

ok makes sense do you recall what part# ?

keep us posted...
2 things I found when pulling it apart.Put motor to top dead,then took cam sensor cap off.Went to remove bolt for cam sensor it was loose a 1/2 turn.Pulled sensor don't see any major wear to say it is shot.But it did move up and down before lossing bolt.Proceed to take oil pump out, got bolts all out and pulled gear and shaft.Found that on housing where gears ride there is wear on the bottom plate.Which I know were not there when installed it.Other then that gears are good etc.Could it be the sensor being loose cause pump to move up and down and shafts was causing noise?????I guess i will see,going to reinstall and see what does...I am going to replace pump just in case...