Adjust boost with watergate or RJC piece?

carryon525

On my old GN this was easy as I just turned a dial. Now I'm not used to the rod. I understand you turn one full one way or the other to adjust. Should I turn the wastegate rod or mess with my RJC brass piece. I'm wanting to turn the boost down a couple pounds for tuning purposes but I've never done it with the rod and not sure about the RJC parts either. Can someone explain step by step for me and what wrench/tools I need? I am using TT 93 chip and could take some timing out but I think I will start with boost first unless someone says otherwise. Currently running 18psi and getting some knock around 4 degrees only when I punch it at around 40. I used to have an alky kit on my old one but have not put one on this car yet

Find a long deserted road and try rolling into the throttle in 3rd gear keeping a close eye for knock. Lift if there is any. If you get no knock rolling into it then the knock you were seeing when you punch it could have been false knock. Lots of things can cause false knock when you punch it. 18lbs of boost on 93oct is right around the limit although it does vary from car to car. Alky would be a nice upgrade.

As far as the wastegate rod and RJC boost controller, start by setting your rod so that you have to pull it about an 1/8th of an inch or so to hook it on the arm.

1. First remove the little wastegate clip that holds the end of the rod onto the puck arm with a screwdriver or long nose pliers. Careful, those little bastards can spring out on you and they are a bitch to find if they land somewhere in the engine.

2. Take a 11mm or 7/16" open end wrench and loosen the lock nut on the wastegate rod. From there you can shorten or lengthen the length of the rod. Shorten the rod for more boost. Lengthen for less. Since you have an RJC controller you want to start by setting the length of the rod so that you have to pull the arm about 1/8" to hook it onto the puck arm. The 1/8" does not need to be exact. The point is to ensure it takes some tension to hook it on the arm. If not, adjusting your RJC unit may not do anything. Don't forget to put the little clip back on and tighten the lock nut.

3. Disconnect the top hose on your RJC unit and use a 16mm or 5/8" open end wrench to loosen the lock nut on the RJC piece. Same as your wastegate rod, shorten the RJC unit for more boost, Lengthen for less. I'd start at a couple turns away from full length and take a ride to see where your boost is at. Make sure you reconnect the hose before test drive. Adjust the RJC unit as needed to reach your desired boost level and tighten the lock nut. When done make sure you zip-tie the hoses on place.

Last edited:
I have a precision 58mm turbo but no alky yet and still have to stud the heads, 60lb injectors, I don't want to go over 17lbs of boost but I'm stuck at 19? I've adjusted waste gate 1/8 in and RJC bc one turn in and it just shoots to 19lbs, don't want to lift the head and blow the head gaskets. Any ideas on how to lower the boost to 17lbs? I like the way it ramps up the boost quick.

I have a precision 58mm turbo but no alky yet and still have to stud the heads, 60lb injectors, I don't want to go over 17lbs of boost but I'm stuck at 19? I've adjusted waste gate 1/8 in and RJC bc one turn in and it just shoots to 19lbs, don't want to lift the head and blow the head gaskets. Any ideas on how to lower the boost to 17lbs? I like the way it ramps up the boost quick.

Suggest you start your own thread......Thanks.

Sounds like you have a hd actuator on it.

Set your wastegate with about 1/8" of preload and raise the boost with the manual boost controller.