Add Power Assist to 55/45 Bench

GMLC2V6

Anyone add a powerseat track to a 55/45 bench?Is it as easy as adding to a bucket seat?Anyone??

GMLC2V6 said:
Anyone add a powerseat track to a 55/45 bench?Is it as easy as adding to a bucket seat?Anyone??

i just took a bench power seat track/motor/gearbox setup out of a 86' regal limited. it looks identical to the power seat setup in my 86' GN.

Would the track width be different? And obviously the switch set up is different and you would have to make an incision in the side of the seat.Now where do I find a good one?

GMLC2V6 said:
Would the track width be different? And obviously the switch set up is different and you would have to make an incision in the side of the seat.Now where do I find a good one?

are you dealing with an 87? i assume so because of your sig. that stated your switch is different from mine and all other pre-1987's.

the seat track is identical. the switch in the pre-87's as back as far as 85' anyway is also the same. it is just mounted differently.

i still have the bench seat and track setup and i can take some pictures for you so you can see how GM did the install.

finding a power seat setup can be difficult as no salvage yards seem to keep any g bodies on hand. i believe that 78-87 monte carlo, cutlass and regal will have what you need. in addition i have heard that the cadillac cimmaron has the same power seat track also, i have not seen this myself though. check ebay.

what you will have to be concious of is the switch and wiring harness you acquire. if your wiring harness is from an 87' you need a 87' switch unless you plan on cutting and splicing wires.

i have a full 1986' power seat setup right now. all it needs is a switch but i might have one on the way. i would sell you my setup but not until i recieve the switch and test everything.

:cool:

chris c said:
are you dealing with an 87? i assume so because of your sig. that stated your switch is different from mine and all other pre-1987's.

the seat track is identical. the switch in the pre-87's as back as far as 85' anyway is also the same. it is just mounted differently.

i still have the bench seat and track setup and i can take some pictures for you so you can see how GM did the install.

finding a power seat setup can be difficult as no salvage yards seem to keep any g bodies on hand. i believe that 78-87 monte carlo, cutlass and regal will have what you need. in addition i have heard that the cadillac cimmaron has the same power seat track also, i have not seen this myself though. check ebay.

what you will have to be concious of is the switch and wiring harness you acquire. if your wiring harness is from an 87' you need a 87' switch unless you plan on cutting and splicing wires.

i have a full 1986' power seat setup right now. all it needs is a switch but i might have one on the way. i would sell you my setup but not until i recieve the switch and test everything.

:cool:

Pics would be great,maybe I am just thinking about the chrome switch cover for the bench seat tracks as opposed to the colored plastic cover for the bucket seats.BTW my car is an '87.One other question:is the seat track different that from a straight bench seat track?

GMLC2V6 said:
Pics would be great,maybe I am just thinking about the chrome switch cover for the bench seat tracks as opposed to the colored plastic cover for the bucket seats.BTW my car is an '87.One other question:is the seat track different that from a straight bench seat track?

a solid bench w/ out a split? i have never seen or delt with one. sorry.

i'll take some pics for you though..

Seat adjusters will interchange between the buckets and split benches. The bolt holes are in the same places. There are two seat adjuster designs. The one used on the 86 and olders cars has one motor and a plastic bodied transmission that has all of the cables coming out of it. The 87 and newer style uses three seperate motors and no plastic bodied transmission. The 86 and older uses a 7 pin switch and the 87 and newer use an 8 pin switch. The switch mounts right to the side of the seat bottom on the split bench. You need a special metal mounting bracket to hold the switch. You can get this at the boneyard as it is the same on all bench seats. I would not recommend adding a power seat to the straight bench. They only used it with the early design seat adjusters and the cables stretched from one side to the other. Thats a lot of weight to push with frail plastic parts.

turbofish38 said:
Seat adjusters will interchange between the buckets and split benches. The bolt holes are in the same places. There are two seat adjuster designs. The one used on the 86 and olders cars has one motor and a plastic bodied transmission that has all of the cables coming out of it. The 87 and newer style uses three seperate motors and no plastic bodied transmission. The 86 and older uses a 7 pin switch and the 87 and newer use an 8 pin switch. The switch mounts right to the side of the seat bottom on the split bench. You need a special metal mounting bracket to hold the switch. You can get this at the boneyard as it is the same on all bench seats. I would not recommend adding a power seat to the straight bench. They only used it with the early design seat adjusters and the cables stretched from one side to the other. Thats a lot of weight to push with frail plastic parts.

Thanks for the clarification Eric I guess I will have to wait for an '87 track as I would like it "correct" without cutting/splicing wires.