Accufab regulator

JeffG

Drive it like u stole it
Has anyone had any problems with their Accufab fuel regulator? Mine seems to have developed a problem. It won't go below 40psi......vacuum line on or off. If I bring the base up to 48-50psi, and then put the vacuum line on, it drops maybe 3psi tops. My return line is clear and seems to be flowing okay.
I guess a secondary question is, has anyone rebuilt one of these things, and where did you get the rebuild kit.

Thanks in advance,

You can get a rebuild kit from Accufab, it's @25$ I think. Also, you might take it apart and see what the inside looks like. It's very easy, and nothing is going to fly apart(providing the fuel pressure is 0#s.) The spring, etc, could be all gunked up, or the seal in the middle and/or the "o" ring on the top may be leaking vacume.
Of course your return line may be blocked or kinked somewhere too.

Thanks for the reply! Where did you get he special little torx to take the thing apart? It's one of those torx with a dimple in the middle.

I think I used a small set of vise grips to break them loose,, (don't tell anyone I said that.) Also, new bolts come with the rebuild kit, as I recall.

Hey you can get the special torx bits at NAPA they had them in the store ...and plenty of them. You can get singles or a whole set. worth the price not too expensive. I also have the accufab reg and about 2.5 yrs of service and no problems...happy hunting.

Okay, so I cleaned out my return lines (seem to flow good), rebuilt my Accufad reg and I still can't get a pressure setting below 44psi.

Is anyone running a hot wired 340 pump, and Accufab reg, stock delivery & return lines......... and is able to adj pressure below 44psi base?

To add to that; if you do have a base setting below that, does it drop even further when you apply vacuum (like it should)?
Mine sure won't.

I would think this is a pretty common set up. If others aren't seeing this problem, my return line may not be as clear as I think.

Thx,

That's the setup I have...static pressure(line off) is 42-43 PSI...put the vacuum line on and it drops to about 37-38 PSI...now if I set the static to 38 PSI and put the line back on it only drops about 1-2 PSI...have you checked vacuum reading from that line?...

JeffG...

I have that exact set-up. Walbro 340M / Casper's Hot-wire / Accufab billet AFPR. No problems with mine since I put it on 2 yrs ago.

I would test it using a MityVac hooked up to the AFPR....run the fuel pump using the underhood light power wire hooked up to the fuel pump test connector by the alternator. (NOT the green connector, it's the Tach signal wire)

This way you can run the pump and check the pressure regulator function without the engine running. Pull a vacuum on the mityvac...normal would be around 12-16 inches for idle and see what the fuel pressure is. Then pump up the mityvac to make sure it adds 1 psi of fuel pressure for each psi of boost.

There isn't a lot to the regulator, and since you rebuilt it I would think it would be OK. If the mityvac test works OK then you can suspect a problem with your vacuum lines.

Good Luck,
John

Car pulls down about 13-14" vacuum at that line. I can't even get the base below 43-44. Looks like I have a kink or blockage some where.

Thx,

I have a full billet kenne bell regulater and I cant get base below 40# with hotwired 340 pump.

I believe the return line on our cars are too small to drain back fast enough

Check the return line fitting under the power steering pump under the car.

It goes from 3/8" to 1/4" line there, rubber hoses to metal fittings.

Use double wrenches one to hold the fitting tight one to turn the coupling. That is where mine was blocked up.

Although I was running about 70psi. fuel pressure for a month and a half in the winter.

Car only stalled a few times and didn't run all that bad.

Fuel pressure actually dropped a bit with boost. :D

I ran a new 1/4" line out to the tank. Now I can set my base as low as I like. The FP drops about 8-10psi when the vacuum line is hooked up. Bottom end is MUCH improved now. I tried to find the bockage in the stock line, but I wasn't ale to locate it........so I ran a new one. I didn't realize how much bottom end I was missing until I replaced the line.

Thanks to all that replied!