Acadia or Enclave?

gordyzx9r

The wife has decided she wants to get rid of her Lexus GS430.

The Lexus is fun...but my daughter gets car sick sitting in the back of it so we can't use it to move the kids around. But she's (daughter) is fine if she rides in our old Rodeo, my 3/4 ton Sierra, or my Ford Fusion...or the GN for that matter. Personally, I think it's my wife's driving because she rides the brakes and is warm blooded and doesn't use the A/C like I do (full blast). Plus, the back seats of the Lexus you're sitting inclined to the rear and sunk down so she can't see forward and looking out the side is probably what's giving her motion sickness. Though, my mother used to make me car sick because she rode the brakes too. Anyways, it sounds like the Lexus is a goner...

My wife's undecided between a GMC Acadia or a Buick Enclave.

We have a 2010 enclave with AWD. It got around real good last winter in the snow. We have had it 18 months and have put 34,000 miles on it. I prefer to drive it over any other vehicle for long drives. The only bad thing is the power outlet interferes with the cup holders and there are not enough power outlets.

Enclave is an acadia with woodgrain. LOL but seriously, enclave will cost you more but has a nicer interior. I like the half-leather/half fake wood aka "tortoise shell" steering wheel in the enclave more, it is MUCH more durable. Enclave has painted cladding on the bottom of the car, and it holds up better over time than the molded in color plastic of the acadia, some acadia plastics i've seen with discoloration issues. Enclave is overall nicer/quieter but will set you back a bunch more. Unless you go with an acadia denali :)

Mechanically they are the same car/suv/crossover. These things FLY out of our GMC side, new or used. We don't quite have enough demand to have a line at the door waiting for them, but pretty close to that much demand. We don't have the Buick franchise to sell new enclaves but the program vehicles we get from the sale roar out of here as well. Chevy traverse is the same car as both of them but is a step down from the GMC in overall nice-ness. All variants use oddball sized tires that can't be bought in anything more than crappy 4 plys, meaning they aren't worth a damn on rock roads, doubt you have an issue with that.

Every GM made in the last 5 years needs an alignment. Monitor your tire wear. But that should be a given on any vehicle maintenance. Early versions of that engine had timing chain stretch issues, not sure if that's been addressed, google it.

That's all I know off the top of my head. Other than the smart slide middle row seats. They work great when new, ones we have gotten in the past used that have been "kiddified" inside, they get crap stuck in the sliders really easy, I knew instantly that was a dumb design. BUT, snap some plastic panels off, zip out 7 bolts per side, whole seat comes out, garden hose it :) Plastic floor trim on some variants has a brushed aluminum insert in it, they don't hold up worth a damn either, they will look like hell when it's traded in no matter how anal you are, just let it go.

Neither.

I may point out that the differences between the Acadia and Enclave are only cosmetic. Mechanically the two are identical, thus the issues described below would apply to both.

My in-laws are on their second Acadia. I told them in '06 when they bought the first that they would be disappointed. After the honeymoon wore off, they were bringing it in for repairs on a regular basis. It blew my mind when the 'stainless steel' exhaust tips were covered in rust in less than a year. In '10 they had finally had enough with it and took a huge hit because of the terrible resale value. Some sly salesman took them for all they were worth when he convinced them that the '10's were "different", "better". The honeymoon just wore off a few months ago and they are back to complaining about it frequently. Oddly enough, the 'stainless' exhaust tips on this new one started showing rust in less than 4 months.

Pay attention to the transmission, you'll notice the thing always dropping a gear-or-two with only a slight increase in throttle (on flat ground). It gets annoying fast and probably attributed to the curb weight being that of an M1 Abrams. They average 17mpg with the new one that has direct injection and vvt. Ouch. All of the sliding seat mechanisms (the ones in the second row that allow access to the third) are always getting stuck. The driver's seat in both the '06 and '10 wobble front-to-back when accelerating and braking. I remember there was a recall on the '06 pertaining to the heated windshield washer fluid system. Something about catching fire, I think. Anyways, the fix involved unplugging the harness and refunding the customer ~$100 because they no longer have heated washer fluid. WTF??

IMHO, try looking at a 2011-12 Ford Explorer before you pull the trigger.

She thought about that one too...but she's stuck on this thing about me having a Buick and a GMC so now she thinks she should too.

we were in the EXACT same boat as you, Acadia or Enclave, (need something that was bigger than the Vw GTI & could tow our 21' Checkmate) so we bought a 09 Pontiac G8 GT, yea it's a 4 door vette.

Mechanically they are the same. We sell alot of them and people seem to like them. I have done about a dozen timing chains because they stretch from lack of regular oil changes and then cause a check engine light. 3-5-R wave plates breaking, power steering clunks, whine, and sqeaks, and headlight bulb harness melt. These are the most common problems I have run into on theses.

You couldnt give me a new domestic car. They are all junk. Window regulators on all of them are junk. Im tired of replacing hemi engines and 3.7 and 4.7 engines. I dont think there is a domestic car that does not have suspension problems. A family friend was a die hard chevy fan till it kept breaking down. He bought a Tundra and has had zero problems. I hate to even think about buying a jap car but your better off. Honda pilot. My neighbor has 280,000 miles on one and other than maintence stuff there has been no major repairs other than timing belts but thats maintence. I drive a Buick century and love it but as soon as it folds in half from rusting out I buying a honda . And if you do buy a Honda make sure its Honda of japan that built it. Good luck

Neither.

I may point out that the differences between the Acadia and Enclave are only cosmetic. Mechanically the two are identical, thus the issues described below would apply to both.

My in-laws are on their second Acadia. I told them in '06 when they bought the first that they would be disappointed. After the honeymoon wore off, they were bringing it in for repairs on a regular basis. It blew my mind when the 'stainless steel' exhaust tips were covered in rust in less than a year. In '10 they had finally had enough with it and took a huge hit because of the terrible resale value. Some sly salesman took them for all they were worth when he convinced them that the '10's were "different", "better". The honeymoon just wore off a few months ago and they are back to complaining about it frequently. Oddly enough, the 'stainless' exhaust tips on this new one started showing rust in less than 4 months.

Pay attention to the transmission, you'll notice the thing always dropping a gear-or-two with only a slight increase in throttle (on flat ground). It gets annoying fast and probably attributed to the curb weight being that of an M1 Abrams. They average 17mpg with the new one that has direct injection and vvt. Ouch. All of the sliding seat mechanisms (the ones in the second row that allow access to the third) are always getting stuck. The driver's seat in both the '06 and '10 wobble front-to-back when accelerating and braking. I remember there was a recall on the '06 pertaining to the heated windshield washer fluid system. Something about catching fire, I think. Anyways, the fix involved unplugging the harness and refunding the customer ~$100 because they no longer have heated washer fluid. WTF??

IMHO, try looking at a 2011-12 Ford Explorer before you pull the trigger.
Rusty tips?? WOW!!! Major problem there.:rolleyes: Every model of every make has it's own issues. Yea, I'm biased, I work on both of these. As stated some timing chain issues, usually due to owner's going 7,500 miles in between oil changes. Nobody likes the "busyness" of the 6 speed trans..Have fixed alot of broken 3-5 wave plates too. I might add all covered under warranty.I don't think you can go wrong with either model, my two cents. Phil.

Yeah, same truck... Just depends on which interior you like the best... Me, I would look for the best deal;)

My parents bought an Buick Enclave last year and they love it. No issues whatsoever and the thing is solid. Interior is very nice and did well last year in the snow storms.

2011 Acadia AWD here , got it last year, 24000 miles now & zero problems not counting me breaking off the rear wiper cleaning snow off .:eek: Solid , quiet and room to seat 7 adults , load them up with options and can get $$$$$ . We test drove a Enclave and pretty much the same but wife liked the look of the Acadia better, so we have a Acadia.:biggrin:
Sam

Just reread your post , in both you can get rear heating & cooling (separate controls), adjustable second row buckets & sunroof, rear audio & dvd screens in headrests (separate controls)!!!!!:cool: The grandkids love it.:D
Sam

Mechanically they are the same. We sell alot of them and people seem to like them. I have done about a dozen timing chains because they stretch from lack of regular oil changes and then cause a check engine light. 3-5-R wave plates breaking, power steering clunks, whine, and sqeaks, and headlight bulb harness melt. These are the most common problems I have run into on theses.

Tell me about it i work at a Buick GMC dealer and it never good when you have to work on one of these...but for what its worth in done doing timing chains...i reprogram the ecm/tcm with the updated oil change light program in then the lights for timing chains go off and stay off...(i think the new program opens up the parameters before a fail code seat)
-Dan

Tell me about it i work at a Buick GMC dealer and it never good when you have to work on one of these...but for what its worth in done doing timing chains...i reprogram the ecm/tcm with the updated oil change light program in then the lights for timing chains go off and stay off...(i think the new program opens up the parameters before a fail code seat)
-Dan

The software sometimes fixes the issue unless the chains are stretched too far. They aren't bad once you do 2 or 3. Drop the whole motor/trans/cradle and all. Pull up a chair and go to town.