AC Compressor question...

1NASTY6

"Staged for Life"
If you install a used AC compressor, off of another GN, is there a requirement to add oil to the unit through the holes in the back before putting it on the car?

There was never any oil that came out of the used compressor the entire time I had it sitting here, but I'm not sure if it was spilled out during evacuation when the unit was removed off of the donor car.

I'm guessing that there is some oil that would be added during the charging of the system when I get that far, but at this point, I'm just concerned with having it on the car and knowing that I'm not wrecking any of the internals before I get the system charged.

If there is no "priming" of a used compressor required, what lubricates the internals prior to having the system charged?

I'm very inexperienced when it comes to working on air conditioning, so please for give any stupid questions if they are obvious to you!

Thanks!!

i am sure that is is properly lubed due to it bieng used. just remember to vacuum the system as the compressor cannot compress oxygen. you will break the piston

i am sure that is is properly lubed due to it bieng used. just remember to vacuum the system as the compressor cannot compress oxygen. you will break the piston

I'm not going to be nice so please excuse me, I do this for a living. NEVER USE A FRIGGING USED COMPRESSOR EXCEPT FOR A CORE!!!!:mad: Now that I got that out of my system, the compressor will compress air or refridgerant but unless you use the correct lube it won't matter what you use.(R-12 or R-134?) If your old compressor locked or was knocking then you have trash in the system so you need to clean it out and if you don't you just bought another compressor. Unless you don't want the A/C to work this summer use the compressor you have and you MIGHT make it through the summer. I have a LOT of people that come to the shop with a junkyard compressor in hand wanting to change it out and I won't do it because they're not reliable and in the last 10 years most of the re-built ones I've put on trash in the first 2-3 months so I won't use them either. Before you go any further see if someone off the board is near you and can help. A/C work is very exacting to make sure you don't end up with a locked up compressor and more trash in the system. I'm done with my rant now, sorry.

I'm not going to be nice so please excuse me, I do this for a living. NEVER USE A FRIGGING USED COMPRESSOR EXCEPT FOR A CORE!!!!:mad: Now that I got that out of my system, the compressor will compress air or refridgerant but unless you use the correct lube it won't matter what you use.(R-12 or R-134?) If your old compressor locked or was knocking then you have trash in the system so you need to clean it out and if you don't you just bought another compressor. Unless you don't want the A/C to work this summer use the compressor you have and you MIGHT make it through the summer. I have a LOT of people that come to the shop with a junkyard compressor in hand wanting to change it out and I won't do it because they're not reliable and in the last 10 years most of the re-built ones I've put on trash in the first 2-3 months so I won't use them either. Before you go any further see if someone off the board is near you and can help. A/C work is very exacting to make sure you don't end up with a locked up compressor and more trash in the system. I'm done with my rant now, sorry.
you cant just open a ac system and bolt another one on unless you vacuum the system you cant leave air in the lines because it is not good for the compressor. and it dries the dyre out. i know it will compress refridgerent but it has a hard time compressing air from the line bieng opened. also he has to change the oriffice tube because it will be clogged with the BLACK DEATH!!!!

you cant just open a ac system and bolt another one on unless you vacuum the system you cant leave air in the lines because it is not good for the compressor. and it dries the dyre out. i know it will compress refridgerent but it has a hard time compressing air from the line bieng opened. also he has to change the oriffice tube because it will be clogged with the BLACK DEATH!!!!

??????????????????????????????????

If you install a used AC compressor, off of another GN, is there a requirement to add oil to the unit through the holes in the back before putting it on the car?

I agree that you should NOT use a used compressor….but if you insist you will need to add two ounces of oil to the compressor ….you will also need to work the oil into the compressor buy putting a socket on the clutch and moving it back and forth(with the compressor face down)to put the oil where it is need for initial start up….before adding the Freon and the new(used ) compressor flush the system …add compressor, change the orifice tube, evacuate the system then add Freon ….then if you used a used compressor cross your fingers…. :biggrin: GOOD LUCK

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Looks like I'll be putting on a NEW compressor. What is required to flush the system. What process is used?

Thanks!

any compressor being put into the system would require 3oz of refrigeration oil like any other accessory added to your system for it to work properly then after assembly requires evacuating the system of any air and non-condensible gases ,compressing air in the system will raise the pressures to a higher than acceptable level and will break the system at the weakest point.

??????????????????????????????????
if your going to post and dont understand then ask about what is confusing you. i am pretty much saying what 49 blues is saying. and also the black death is when you pull out your oriffice tube it will be clogged with black and metal particles

any compressor being put into the system would require 3oz of refrigeration oil like any other accessory added to your system for it to work properly then after assembly requires evacuating the system of any air and non-condensible gases ,compressing air in the system will raise the pressures to a higher than acceptable level and will break the system at the weakest point.
well said