about the "servo"

turboTURBO

I AM BUILDING MY TRANS NOW AND I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THE "SERVO" WHAT DOES IT DO?? WOULD IT HELP IF I REPLACED IT? SHOULD I BUY A BETTER ONE, A CORVETTE SERVO,?? OR SHOULD I JUST BUY A NEW ONE TO HAVE IT NEW.. ANY HELP WILL BE GRATEFUL....

THANKS
SHAWN

The servo is quite simply a hydraulic piston that applies the second gear band. The band is wrapped around the direct clutch drum and when it's applied, it stops the drum from rotating.

There were multiple size servos used by GM for different applications. The turbo Buicks always had the largest available. The biggest stock servo was used in the '86/'87 BRF turbo Buick transmissions (& later in the '89 TTA.)

The Corvette servo you are referring to is used in the 700R4 & 4L60E transmissions. It was the largest factory servo available for those units but it is not compatible with a 2004R servo.

As for whether or not you should replace it, that depands on your goals with your car. The stock servo is adequate for most applications that run well into the 12s. When you have enough power to push your car into the 11's and beyond, the additional clamping force generated by a larger aftermarket servo (and increased line pressure from a valve body kit) can keep your 1-2 shift sharp and extend band life.

Additionally, for any performance level, I'd recommend that you use the extra-wide Red Eagle band now available from many vendors.

WOW...

thanks, well im building my GN motor to go into hi 10's. i have a 85 trans though.. but i have a shift kit, trans brake, art carr 3500 stall for it.. where would i get this red eagle servo? is there a web site or part number? also anything i have to do to install it??? just swap them out...
my trans is an 85...

thanks for all your help

OK. I was bit by that stupid '10-minutes to edit' rule.

I see from your other post that you are not going to use a 2004R. If you are working with a 4L60E, then read this post. It's basically the same as above but geared towards the 4L60E.

The servo is quite simply a hydraulic piston that applies the 2-4 band. The band is wrapped around the reverse input drum and when it's applied, it stops the drum from rotating.

If your Camaro was originally a V8 car then you already have the 'Corvette' servo. If it is a V6 transmission, then you'll want to upgrade.

The stock V8 servo is adequate for most applications that run well into the 12s. When you have enough power to push your car into the 11's and beyond, the additional clamping force generated by a larger aftermarket servo (and increased line pressure from a valve body kit) can keep your 1-2 shift sharp and extend band life.

Additionally, for any performance level, I'd recommend that you use the extra-wide Red Eagle band now available from many vendors.

where would i get this big servo?? also anything else i have to do to install it??

thanks for all your help...
shawn

It's actually a Red Eagle band. That is the friction element that the servo works on.

You should upgrade the servo if you have a 1985 BQ transmission.

Give Bruce a call as he can hook you up with these items: http://www.ptsxtreme.com/