A ZDDP Question Answered!

SGRIM

Owner/Admin TB.com
Staff member
I have read the similar questions by members asking simply if they should run ZDDP with the new synthetic oils out on the market... I have never seen, although I am sure the answer is there, a simple yes or no answer...

Well I went to the source yesterday and the answer is YES!

Just sharing:biggrin:

I have read the similar questions by members asking simply if they should run ZDDP with the new synthetic oils out on the market... I have never seen, although I am sure the answer is there, a simple yes or no answer...

I really never thought you shouldn't, since the newer synthetic oils on the market have the reduced zinc just like all the other oils. But it is good that we now have a definitive answer.:cool:

The technical explanation following this question in the tech section that Mr. Clark and his head Eng. spoke made my head spin:redface:
These guys REALLY know their oil.

Geoff

The technical explanation following this question in the tech section that Mr. Clark and his head Eng. spoke made my head spin:redface:
These guys REALLY know their oil.

Geoff

That's right...you're witnessing REAL engineers at work. I agree, they really know their stuff...hat's off to Mr. Clark and his head engineer. I'm so thankful they are members of this forum and out there to help all of us. I'd be lost without these brillliant guys. They are a credit to the TurboBuick profession.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Thanks Shane. Changed my oil yesterday, Mobil 1 synthetic and ZDDP. Considering this stuff is only like $10 a bottle I think it's safe to say it's cheap insurance and I will continue to use it. Have one more bottle left then I gotta order some more.

I changed my oil today since it was 60 degrees out, Mobil 1 synthetic 15-50 and no additives. :eek:

I thought this was short and sweet enough to go by. ;)

" Mobil 1 15W-50 is formulated with SuperSyn, an extra-high viscosity synthetic fluid, plus extra anti-wear additive to provide extra protection for severe service applications such as towing, hauling and racing. Mobil 1 15W-50 is recommended for high performance vehicles including turbocharged and supercharged engines where a thicker oil film is desired.

Mobil 1 15W-50 is also recommended for older valve train designs that may benefit from a higher level of anti-wear normally not required for newer generation vehicles. Mobil 1 15W-50 will also provide better anti-wear protection for higher valve spring tensions in certain racing engines. "

I did win some ZDDP from Dennis Kirban when they reformulate Mobil 1 to something undesirable I will use it for sure. :cool:

Where's that dead horse smiley? :biggrin:

Salvage, if you were there and got to see and hear the precision of the data compiled you might see it a little differently... This stuff was designed to help our cars plain and simple. I keep seeing Dennis brought into the conversation in one way or another. Just so everyone know ZPLUS is Mr. Richard Clark's venture solely:wink:

ZDDP is the only company that I know that 100% of the profit goes back to racers by sponsoring events such as ours and other national events...

I am the last one to jump a band wagon, however Mr. Clark doesn't have a normal wagon:biggrin:

These guys REALLY know their oil. Geoff

In this tech discussion, as few reasons and facts were pointed out that did show that synthetic oil has some disadvantages for use on older engines like ours, and especialy in modified engines. :eek:

This was a lengthy explaination and Richard promised more testing before a more definitive and specifice details can be released.

Part of the "issue" is the advertising claims made, not only for Mobile I, but oils in general. Certainly tests can be biased, or even rigged, to show want the sales department wants the uninformed public to buy.

This is where the further testing and evaluations by Richard and his staff using the latest high-tech [and expensive!] equipment will be of great value in our community.

We will post progress here of this project as it becomes available. :smile:

After purchasing my T some 3 years ago, I did an oil change and used Mobil 1 synthetic. I thought this was good for my flat tappet cam. I will make this a short story...

You will see that I have a roller cam system in my car now. That was not done because I wanted "roller" in my signature either.

Agreed entirely... You need additives in synthetic oils also !

Mike

I only mentioned Dennis because I won it from him in his FREE sponsored contest, I'm thankful for that and wanted it noted.

Marketing comes in many forms, not sure how much of an "expert" Don Garlits is either. :p

I trust the Mobil 1 people to have developed a proper synthetic that works fine in our cars, after all they had them for many many years before the newer reformulations.

The one I listed is a throwback for our cars. :)

Mr. Clark is GREAT people I will definately use ZDDP when I run out of oils both Dino. and synthetic that won't work with a stock longblock. :cool:

I always just drop one of these in the tank. Has everything from A to Zinc.

centrum.jpg