A little head progress for you guys.

charlief1

RIP Charlie!
I had some side work this weekend so I couldn't go to Noble.:frown: A/C work and a minor port on a set of Chevy heads. I did have a little time to do some work on one of my heads today though. Took about an hour to get this done and now I have to do the rest of them. You guys thought I was joking when I said I port the snot out of my heads so I thought I'd give you a small example to look at. Not even close to being done yet on the one intake bowl but you get the idea.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0005.jpg
    DSCN0005.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 680
Looks good keep up the work did the same mods to mine it took along time but in my opinion was well worth the time very happy with the results my car really runs good Mike mcvaney

I've been doing this for a long time Mike. The last set I did for myself I could take the exhaust valve and put it down the intake port to the bowl. No one ever believes me though. This set will be a little more radical though. I already have the big valves for them so it should be interesting.

More progress

I needed some time to myself today because I had some sad news. I thought the best way to work it out was to work on the heads. Only 1 patially finished but it looks much better now. Here's some comparison pics for you guys.:biggrin: I concentrated on the bowls mostly with a slight clean up on the ports. No port matching right now. That's one of the biggest mistakes I've ever seen anyone make. Make sure you do the bowls and then the ports first before you even think about doing the port match. This way you don't worry about having to fix the port entrace if the die grinder kisses the intake ports.

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 644
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 643
  • DSCN0004.jpg
    DSCN0004.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 646
  • DSCN0006.jpg
    DSCN0006.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 661
Thanks Mike. I was hit between the eyes and am still working it out. I'll be staying busy for a while so I can deal with it.

I'll be praying for you brother! Heads are looking good too. My first set that I did were "293" heads. I just didn't know what I was getting into.

I'll be praying for you brother! Heads are looking good too. My first set that I did were "293" heads. I just didn't know what I was getting into.

LOL This isn't my first set of Buick heads. I've done Buick, Honda, Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Dodge, and a few motorcycle heads over the years. I decided to do this in the B4B section because we're the "red headed step children" of the bunch.:biggrin: I think this is my 7th or 8th set of Buick heads and it will be the most radical of them since I plan on doing something unique.:eek: The mods to the 4.1 intake gave some of the guys how much I port an intake so I thought I'd show how to do the heads. When everything comes together I hope to set a record on the track for the "red headed step children".:eek::biggrin: After I get done with the heads I'll be doing an intake to show how much it can be modified. At that point I have to start on the engine and the chasis.

Nice Charlie!!!!
unfortunately I'm stuffing 20psi down stock heads, I can't complain though.

Nice Charlie!!!!
unfortunately I'm stuffing 20psi down stock heads, I can't complain though.

Well what's keeping you from doing some port work Adam.:D It aint hard.:eek: Just get a die grinder and some burrs and have a ball.:tongue: I'll see about posting some pics of the tools I'm using for you.:)

Glad to see you back Aj. Been kinda boring around here without you here. Just wait until the next instalment. I might get the time Monday but I'm not sure.

Your doing my port work Charlie. LOOK AT THOSE EXHAUST PORTS!!!!!! OMG I want those and you said your not even done. Nothing really keeping me from doing a set of heads I just wanted to push the stock ones as far as I can for a baseline. But after looking at your portwork I'm just going to have to have you port the heads on the 3.8 I just pulled out of my car. They are 8445's because I swapped them from my '84 4.1 lol. I have too many projects and have to do a lot of side work to help pay the man instead of devoting the time to do my own set right now. Every1 knows how it is.

Your doing my port work Charlie. LOOK AT THOSE EXHAUST PORTS!!!!!! OMG I want those and you said your not even done. Nothing really keeping me from doing a set of heads I just wanted to push the stock ones as far as I can for a baseline. But after looking at your portwork I'm just going to have to have you port the heads on the 3.8 I just pulled out of my car. They are 8445's because I swapped them from my '84 4.1 lol. I have too many projects and have to do a lot of side work to help pay the man instead of devoting the time to do my own set right now. Every1 knows how it is.

LOL Thanks Adam. This is just the rough in, I haven't even started doing anything other than cleaning up the casting so I can get down to business yet.:biggrin: Like I said earlier, my last set I could put the exhaust valve through the intake port to the bowl. Wait until I do some more work on them and we might talk a trade with some $ included if that's ok with you.:) After the rough in and most of the work the guides have to be replaced and then a little more work and they're done. Keep posted and I'm glad to have you and Aj back on here.:)

A little more work done.

I've been working on a friggin Nissan lately doing the head gasket. I had to take the head down to have it check and surfaced so while I was down there I had the guy cut the guides for me. This is how I prefer to do the guides. It's not for everyone because it takes them down so low but if you plan to do an upgrade with a bigger cam it saves time. You do have to use some sort of seat mount for the springs to be stable but it allows for much more lift. I did a check tonight with my calipers using both the intake and exhaust valve with retainer and keepers on them. The results?

Just with the valve, keepers, and retainer on it, but no seal, You have a total lift capable of 1.000. If you use the PC Chevy seals you only loose .1685 in lift so you end up with a total max lift of .8315.:eek::biggrin: How's that for some good news guys.:smile:

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 537
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 523
what exactly is port polishing..... How much would it cost to get done on my car?

Porting and polishing refers to removing metal from the ports to improve air flow to the cylinder. It's fairly expensive if you have someone else do it but if you're willing to do it yourself and do the research on how to do it then it's not to expensive. I've got around $400 in equipment and most of it is getting worn out. I need to replace a few pieces but I do it at a resonable price. the shipping will kill you if you want to send it down.