A Cold Trans

85 Riviera

I have noticed that my trans shifts softer in this cold winter air, Not anything to worry about I mean it still rips the tires from 1-2 but it just feels more dampen, sometimes after a long ride at night my fluid never gets to its running temp it is just on the edge of warm but in the day time when the sun is out and florida warms up a little the trans reaches a full running temp and the shifts are crisp as normal. Am I the only one that experiances this? I think the fluid is just too thick to move fast enough to cause really crisp shifts when its really cold whachu think?

Chris I think mine shifts harder when cold. What up wit dat?? Not good harder but bad harder.

Yeah I used to have a 325-4L that would jolt the car when it shifted while the cars engine was cold but acted normal after warm up:confused: So I dont know why it did that. Automatic Transmissions are the wierdest mechanical things I have ever messed with in my life.

Well I can tell you this much, my car is from Orlando and has never been out of Florida except for a trip or too now I dont know if what they say is true but I swear my car hates cold weather, the engine does, the tranny does and the cars bulds start blowing out, creeks and sqeeks start poping up from no where. If stuff is going to break on me it usaly happens in winter, I know it dont get freezing down here but we do have short cold burst at night when it can get down too 32-38 with high wind and humidity so it feels freezing, But the day time sun warms us up real fast. :cool:

Don't go to MN

If that 85 Riviera has arthritis in the FL "cold" you'd better never go to MN. They only have two seasons--Fourth of July and Winter.

No dout I am not a winter person, I can live without a white christmas. Been up north a few times in the winter and I would not last for a full year its just too cold for me.

Re: Don't go to MN

Originally posted by Clay Thompson
If that 85 Riviera has arthritis in the FL "cold" you'd better never go to MN. They only have two seasons--Fourth of July and Winter.
You aint kidding, our fall lasted about a full four days:(
During the middle of winter 20's are warm for a daytime HIGH. I wont even mention what it is with wind chill. brrr ;)