A/C Fuse Pops & No Vent Adjusting

Jonasterg

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I recently swapped my alternator and now I see two issues with my ventilation system.

Whenever I move the dash lever to an A/C related setting (the A/C specific settings and also the defrost setting) the 25-amp A/C Fuse blows out. This kills the fan completely.

When I move the dash lever to a non-A/C setting (heater, vent, etc) the air does not seem to be routed correctly. Air only comes out of the vents at the windshield; nothing from the dash vents.

(Background, maybe relevant) When I swapped the alternator, the disconnected battery cable got bumped and touched the battery terminal while I was taking off the old alternator. This resulted in a few sparks where the alternator's battery cable connection was touching the back of the alternator housing. After the sparks, I checked all the fuses (before starting the car) and noticed the A/C fuse was blown.

Any ideas?

Well I found the short that was blowing the fuse. Underneath the AC compressor, driver's side, there's a plug that had a wire sticking out which has a resistor on it. The wire had come out from its electrical tape and it was folded against itself, bypassing the resistor.

I un-bent the wire and re-wrapped it. AC works fine now.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

That's actually a diode, but good that you found it!!

My GN is blowing the ac compressor fuse. I saw a post on the board where you were talking about the diode in the harness. My diode reads 888 ohms one way and 0 (as it should) the other way.
Does anyone happen to know the correct value for the diode, and which end goes to the green and which end to the black wire? I replaced my compressor a year ago and may have put the diode in backwards.
Many thanks for your help.